VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Accountancy software for an imac 238 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 505 10
- VAT Option to tax 313 4
- directors loan movements and repayments 222 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 865 16
- Consortium relief and bad debts 64 2
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 159 4
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 26 1
- Business travel apps 60 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 57 1
- EIS - connection through employment 50 1
- Weely paid employees 316 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 93 2
- Total cost of employment 231 2
- Help car benefit 183 5
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 160 5
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 74 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,443 11
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 74 1
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 139 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 891
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 623
- Free Tax Legislation? 379
- Director Loan account operation 377
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 322
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 299
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 276
- Paye procedures for CVA 208
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 196