VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Tax relief for networking day out? 529 14
- SA316s 167 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 48 1
- Swiching tax 524 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 739 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 507 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 523 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 370 11
- Start-up cost recognition 104 1
- Lunches 239 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 393 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 140 3
- Generic notification message 258 6
- Property Expenses 220 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 822 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 148 1
- Accrued salary unpaid 262 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,206 18
- Basis periods 115 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 125 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 604
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 591
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 386
- Pensions Regulator 351
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 290
- Using the correct forms 265
- SA penalty proposals 256
- RTI - duplicate employee record 255
- Accelerated payment notices 236
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 227