VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- ACCA practice certificates 40 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 178 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,077 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 156 2
- What would you do in this situation? 678 14
- Dress code 497 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 516 16
- Project being run jointly 209 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 318 4
- Companies House 614 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 372 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 736 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,451 25
- Help Required 429 10
- directors control and tax problems 312 5
- Fastest Software 809 13
- What's in a name ? 409 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 321 4
- Bulk Invoicing 195 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 190 3
- CTA study material 715
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 440
- Employment related securities question 275
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 261
- AIM Stocks and IHT 253
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 231
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 216
- Expat pension contributions? 204
- Trust for Employee 203
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 185