VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Incorporated when they should not have 207 8
- Company Director In Prison 382 10
- Tax position re this lease? 353 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 660 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 83 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,622 70
- Help with HMRC investigation 100 2
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 75 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 318 5
- AWeb - download file 121 2
- pension paid by company? 321 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 733 17
- Late annual return 113 1
- Charity work 209 10
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 223 12
- HMRC Agents Line 131 2
- Managing Employee Expenses 177 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,686 60
- inheritance tax 569 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 164 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 672
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 499
- Cancelled 426
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 361
- Probiz 333
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 322
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 214
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 197