VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- error on companies house accounts 565 16
- FBI2 104 2
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,572 116
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 1,092 9
- Tolley UK sales number 37 1
- On line Remote Training 81 2
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 350 11
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 694 8
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 189 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 375 9
- Transfer of stock 114 4
- PPR election time limit - change in the number of residences 66 1
- Virtually Impossible 353 6
- Personal allowance for non-resident 90 2
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 148 2
- Brightpay 98 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 61 1
- Newly Started Practice 599 12
- SSP days and Holidays 154 2
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 567 6
- QROP pension input amounts 486
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 461
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 428
- EPS and CIS deductions 279
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 274
- Construction CIS LLP Company 264
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 225
- SAGE winforecast 189
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 183
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 175