VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- A little knowledge 17 1
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 64 3
- Company director and KIT days 101 1
- Designated sole Residence 185 3
- client can't/won't pay 2,164 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 828 34
- Clothing 576 18
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 280 12
- Digita in the cloud 36 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 221 7
- IHT and US resident 122 2
- Tax relief when working away 49 1
- Parent and subsidiary... 154 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 207 8
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,242 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 362 16
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 745 15
- Anyone know what this is? 326 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 936 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 567 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 626
- Latest phishing scam 604
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 328
- Scratch Head 267
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 259
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199