VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 893 12
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,857 52
- Hello 342 2
- Sage 200 question 85 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 83 2
- Ltd Co and Fully Paid Shares 129 5
- RTI and Advances to Employees 141 3
- Sorry - another PPR question 200 4
- Private company division 304 5
- New build property to be rented 118 3
- Outstanding Loans 207 3
- Networking 862 7
- Allocation of income from property 623 22
- Services by BVI Company for UK Company 108 2
- bookkeeping system 481 7
- Sharing ODBC Excel Pivot Tables over network 116 2
- Company car in the LLP 136 1
- 64-8 problems 336 4
- flat rate scheme 1,878 37
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 328 9