VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Does reputation of a tax agent affect likelihood of a HMRC audit 282 4
- Family property company Benefit in Kind and ATED issues 88 1
- PPR ELECTION 335 10
- Microsoft One Drive 274 8
- Capital Allowances for cars/hackney carriages 112 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 386 4
- Invoices 157 1
- Not a question but made my day 667 14
- Accounts Package 296 8
- Question about VAT Group Registration 133 1
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 651 18
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 270 3
- Repayment of Share Capital 410 8
- VAT on property 148 1
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 311 4
- Late night meals self employed 381 2
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 426 9
- EBT Self Assessment Return 277 1
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,912 18
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 144 1
- NHS finance professionals 573
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 379
- Foreign Pension Contribution 350
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 330
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 312
- vat gross profit percentage margins 310
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 287
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 255
- Thinning income 237
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 209