VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Where to put refund 44 2
- New Website Look 365 11
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 171 7
- Independent Review of a Company Limited by Guarantee 104 4
- Payment on account and EIS relief 96 2
- Xero - Should I partner with them 165 2
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 1,444 16
- CGT on compulsory purchase cpmpensation re lease 55 1
- Just for fun. 564 21
- VAT - TOGC 89 2
- Edible spam? 376 12
- Capitalisation of loan 99 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 330 2
- Are solicitors worth the money? 1,124 12
- Intercompany loans 216 5
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,513 16
- Overlap relief 544 14
- Suspicious debt recovery offer? 315 2
- Reduced payments on account 138 2
- Amending a CT return 115 2
- Theatre Tax Relief 462
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 359
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 354
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 327
- Perkbox 294
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 273
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 252
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 251
- Document Management Systems 225
- WIP Software 217