VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 259 7
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,238 23
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,289 370
- 100% Xero practice 2,272 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 102 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 164 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 107 1
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 116 3
- Scottish but not UK 313 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 284 10
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 109 1
- What is the role of an accountant? 462 13
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- P11D Query 150 4
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 83 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,326 25
- Company Accounts 439 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 100 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 298 7
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 198 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 429
- National Insurance 329
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 324
- Non Resident 252
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 241
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152