VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 245 5
- Sage Payroll 45 3
- Share restructure 344 13
- Belated VAT Exception Application 157 5
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 441 14
- VAT Deregistration - Final return 26 1
- Should a company include comparative disclosures when no current year balances? 85 4
- Audit Required 205 5
- Enforcing A CCJ 75 2
- VAT query 108 1
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 239 4
- I have a pain 766 8
- Employment allowance and sage instant payroll 132 1
- Thread deleted. 505 15
- convert directors loan account to share capital 215 7
- non resident receiving UK dividends 110 1
- Need to upgrade from Sage 50 but to what? 205 1
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 294 6
- P11d error 445 10
- Audit Report Query 105 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 737
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 505
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 360
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 347
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 267
- VAT on Gaming Machines 219
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 204
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 191
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 183
- Director Loan account operation 156