VAT & Bad Debt Relief: Am I £12,000 in Pocket?!
I raised an accounts receivable invoice on the 31 May 2012 for £75,000 + £15,000 VAT (£90,000).
I was paid £15,000 immediately, which simply covered the VAT element (paid to HMRC). £75,000 remains in accounts receivable on our balance sheet.
I now feel it's unlikely that the full £75,000 will be paid before 30 Nov 2012 (which is 6 months from the date the invoice was raised), as I've not received a further penny, despite promises of £500 a week or so ago!..
However, I am not incurring any costs until partial payments are made to clear-down the £75,000. E.g. Assuming tomorrow I was paid £1,000, I'd go ahead and purchase materials to supply £1,000 worth of services. The original invoice I raised clearly states "prepaid [XYZ]".
So therefore I feel writing off £75,000 as a bad debt and reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief of £12,000 (20% of the £75,000) would be incorrect because I have not incurred any costs.
Surely if I did this, I'd be £12,000 in pocket, yet the P&L would be of no net gain/loss because of this invoice, because I understand when reclaiming [VAT] bad debt relief, the amount written off must be transferred to a separate 'bad debt' account. The only thing I would need to do is reverse the cost of sales accrual I did in May when the sale was raised.
Also, do I need to make the customer aware when I am writing the invoice off? E.g. Could I write it off now if I wished? I understand I'd need to wait until 30 Nov 2012 to reclaim [VAT] bad debt relief. We have no Ts & Cs regarding when an invoice can or cannot be written off.
I simply want him to pay the remainder, or I'll write it off now.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We are on the accrual VAT scheme.
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 104 2
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 73 1
- FreeAgent question 77 1
- CIS monthly returns 159 2
- Goodie bag 1,536 52
- Husband Wife let property 345 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 494 12
- Output tax for retailer 311 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 270 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 123 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 121 1
- CT600 Advice 112 1
- Fair Value Accounting 72 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 125 4
- can I approach clients ? 388 8
- Companies House Penalties 120 2
- Apostille documents 110 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 538 13
- AE - employees making different contributions 74 1
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 336 14
- Possible Partnership? 640
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 517
- New Fangled Penalties 445
- Fuming! 377
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 316
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 254
- Outsource Data Entry 239
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 234
- Moving away from CCH software 226
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 174