VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 134 3
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,465 40
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 80 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 243 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 230 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,230 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 362 6
- Go Cardless 380 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 327 3
- Mehjoo 333 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 148 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 405 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 194 4
- SA302 343 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 294 13
- Bringing money to Uk 299 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 218 4
- Hmrc software 260 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 194 1
- Hosted email exchange 191 5
- Xtuple 518
- Qtac payroll for bureau 356
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 299
- Industrial & Provident Societies 293
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 210
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 210
- Domain name sale and limited company 181
- CIS schemes 177
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 152