VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- payroll software 347 3
- Instant CPD offer 257 3
- Income from rent charged to business 45 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 419 5
- Statutory sick pay 279 4
- Dividend in specie 355 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 208 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 166 3
- Cash basis 474 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 139 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 263 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 291 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 158 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 351 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,849 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 326 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 240 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 98 1
- Investor exit 193 3
- Partially exempt? 378 10
- Skandia using wrong address 565
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 302
- Employee rewards 285
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 242
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 223
- Etax Australian 183
- LLP in Construction Industry 148
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 129
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 129