VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 89 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 83 1
- CT600 Advice 23 1
- Goodie bag 1,404 51
- Fair Value Accounting 42 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 66 4
- can I approach clients ? 309 8
- Companies House Penalties 39 2
- Apostille documents 77 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 515 13
- AE - employees making different contributions 55 1
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 316 14
- Classic cars investment 550 15
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 230 2
- Why .... 803 9
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 520 5
- BrightPay 900 26
- Quickbooks Online 200 4
- Husband Wife let property 319 8
- Student Loan deduction 78 1
- Possible Partnership? 632
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 512
- New Fangled Penalties 439
- Fuming! 362
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 315
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 253
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 232
- Outsource Data Entry 229
- Moving away from CCH software 221
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 172