VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Using home as clients registered address 445 7
- Restriction on loss relief from 2013-14 232 1
- Technical reference 271 3
- Director issuing and buying shares in private Co 282 6
- Does director/largest shareholder's unpaid share capital need to go on a CT600A? 296 6
- How much tax should I be payng? 869 33
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 184 4
- EIS/SEIS 242 2
- Can S455 tax repaid 308 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 198 2
- Form EIS3 138 2
- Comprehensive herd adjustment guidance 173 1
- Tax return for 05/04/13 shows income for year to 31/01/14 271 2
- Bank loan incorrectly posted 311 3
- CORPORATION TAX ONLINE - BOX 131 275 7
- Box AC60 HMRC Micro-entities CT600 filing 220 2
- Are you a member of the Aweb LinkedIn group? 247 2
- is the new landlord entitled to the 3 month exemption from business rates for empty premises, 256 4
- Foreign Partner - SA109? 134 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 484 7
- The booking.com con 358
- Cocaine anyone? 346
- WWOOFers 345
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 336
- Trade and asset transfers – fair value adjustments 226
- Ho Ho Ho 216
- logical office 212
- Purpose of issuing Holding share capital for s135 share exchange 196
- barclays UK vesus barclays US 196
- Associated companies where SCI with only one company in group 190