VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Large director's pension contribution 490 6
- Car benefit or not? 2,414 22
- Charge for tax returns 399 10
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,623 19
- Company car and the new dividend tax rules 59 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 673 9
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 444 6
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 591 13
- Best Auto Enrollment Provider for clients DIY 113 3
- Support / ticketing software 173 8
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 417 8
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 425 11
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 291 9
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 230 6
- interest in client bank account 174 3
- Childcare voucher scheme for a director earning the minimum amount 270 13
- Landlord expenses incurred looking for new properties 334 6
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 608 14
- Company Number 10000000 887 11
- Company car v company allowance 757 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 780
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 280
- DTA tie-breaker issue 273
- CGT for NOn UK residents 236
- Apprenticeship Levy 209
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 202
- Just checking re PSA 187
- Capital Gains personal representatives 186
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 181