VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 743 18
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 111 3
- Linux Accounting Software 544 13
- Dispensation pointless ? 493 13
- RTI due -no broadband 77 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 450 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 55 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 94 4
- can I claim a per diem 179 3
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 246 7
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 842 10
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,188 27
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 453 14
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 373 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 219 5
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 397 8
- Business Christmas Greetings 849 17
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 490 11
- SME Direct Debit 733 12
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,113 18
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 814
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 497
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 313
- How to format a stock book 276
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 223
- Tax efficient holding company structure 217
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- Investment property company accounts template 205
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 176