VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Mlom bollocks 109 4
- The stupidity continues 1,009 59
- transactions after account have been closed 263 8
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 47 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 148 1
- AML report needed? 44 1
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 635 15
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 561 11
- What is IRIS World like? 384 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 356 8
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 259 6
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 280 4
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 252 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 154 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,353 25
- New Employers Helpline 215 4
- Software recommendations 287 1
- Share transfer question 398 17
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 200 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,496 19
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 440
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 440
- WIP Software 302
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 236
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 234
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 213
- Is there anything wrong with this? 208
- Small Part Disposal of Property 193
- Uncommercial property business 184