VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- home office expenses as a director 126 5
- Sick pay 122 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 246 7
- Undeclared rental income 255 5
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 208 4
- Drop box Storage 872 9
- Drop Down Boxes 153 2
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 207 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,371 498
- CIS paid under reg 9 208 1
- PAYE Refunds from HMRC 183 4
- rti 241 9
- Cash injection by shareholder 726 9
- Another goodwill question ....... 240 2
- FIFA game and making money 1,758 15
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 407 7
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 269 4
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 814 21
- Property management company Online returns 102 1
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 139 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,402
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 535
- National Insurance 436
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 256
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 240
- Employer's Helpline 194
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 163
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 159
- Umbrella pay services 133