VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Personal Service Company 26 1
- Fee's for P11D's 127 3
- Auto enrolment 239 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,133 25
- CT600 for the first time 295 18
- Sage Payroll 175 8
- Sale of shares and ER 53 2
- Laptop purchase 1,117 19
- SA Return issued after P800 received 74 3
- VAT on Gaming Machines 237 1
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 98 3
- VAT 84 1
- Auto enrolment 324 5
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 116 4
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,788 14
- Moneysoft - Car Benefits 156 2
- SDLT - transfer of land into newco 84 2
- Share restructure 386 15
- RTI and bank holiday Friday 200 3
- Childcare Vouchers 107 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 752
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 513
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 380
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 357
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 271
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 209
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 207
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 187
- Director Loan account operation 180
- vat return 153