VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 208 6
- Shareholder agreement 216 5
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 135 3
- VAT - time of supply 57 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 316 3
- Top slicing relief question 104 1
- Let Property Campaign & DO2 99 1
- Regaining my qualification 295 3
- Scoot 250 5
- Remittances 123 1
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 116 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 223 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 144 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,523 21
- Accountants' Error 804 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 175 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 179 3
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 182 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 242 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 677 11
- Skandia using wrong address 1,461
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 778
- Any views 709
- HMRC Employers Diary 528
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 265
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 256