VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Fees 252 2
- Time to ditch Sage? 239 3
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 374 12
- HMRC Post 520 7
- Transactions with directors 433 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 284 9
- Non VAT invoices 193 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 193 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,387 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 255 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 224 2
- Form 17 Download 149 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 560 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 381 4
- HMRC Information notice 994 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 279 3
- Accountant Specialization. 393 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,780 42
- Sage Line 50 178 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 203 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 761
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 210
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178