VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- losses carried forward 327 9
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 177 7
- VT 317 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 669 18
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 434 21
- client can't/won't pay 100 5
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 81 2
- 5% penalty on late payment 107 2
- Ongoing trade? 228 5
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 163 3
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 261 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 849 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 139 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 727 19
- Tax Penalty overeaction 547 10
- New Boiler at Rental Property 248 3
- Can I undertake a solicitors audit? 235 4
- Freelance software consultant 283 3
- opening balamces 348 11
- Limited company closed payroll then changed its name: does it need to apply for a new PAYE reference to reinstate payroll? 294 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 774
- Copy Wanted 487
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 450
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 448
- Latest phishing scam 277
- Entrepreneurs' relief 259
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 257
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 242
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 225
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 222