VAT on Commercial Property altered to mixed use
I am trying to understand the VAT position on a property as follows.
Property has been owned for some time. Originally both floors of property were offices, property was opted to tax and VAT charged on rents etc.
One floor has now been converted to residential and let out as flats.
I understand from looking into this that the rent charged on the residential part is exempt from VAT and that therefore the input VAT on a proportional part of the expenditure in relation to the property should be non-recoverable, and that (in the absence of any specifics) the best way of apportioning the expenditure is on a rental income basis.
What I don't know is that if the property is opted to tax originally, whether the VAT incurred on the works to alter the property from commercial to residential can be recovered? And also if we need to notify HMRC in any way that the income is now partially exempt from VAT.
One further question. The electricity is invoiced to the Landlord and charged out to the tenant. Should we a) claim the input VAT on the electricity and then invoice out to the tenant plus VAT on a proper VAT invoice, or b) not claim the VAT on the electricity and then invoice out the gross cost to the tenant. The net effect is the same, I just wonder which is the correct treatment.
Any help would be very gratefully received - and if you can quote the relevant guidance that would be even better. Thank you.
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 553 11
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 79 4
- Client handover 144 5
- Use of home query 254 4
- CIS software 154 4
- A trust shall not want for a trustee 155 4
- Homing sandwiches 608 14
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 66 1
- format cell to exclude decimals 143 10
- Settlement discount 233 6
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 187 3
- Entrepreeur's relief 70 1
- IT advisory questions? 322 8
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,610 21
- experian and credit agencies 86 1
- Limited company to community interest company 80 1
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 551 10
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 221 5
- Error in audited accounts 283 3
- Pratice Management Software 237 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,269
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 841
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 532
- Digita Hosted Software 348
- Credit where credit's due....... 324
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 249
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 206
- TheTax Donut 196
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 172
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 168