VAT De mininis Rules
I have been trying to work out the de minimis rules for VAT.
I have read the HMRC notice and I think I understand what it means.
I have purchases of about £30,000 per year, but these are mostly except inputs, only about 30% have VAT charged.
I also have expenses such as utility bills, advertising, of about £15000 per year.
Therefore exempt purchases are worth £21000 per year. Input Tax at 20% would be £3500, which is about £290 per month. This is less than £625 per month. The second condition is that total exempt inputs (costs) are less than half of total costs. £21000/£45000 is about 47%.
Does this mean that I can claim input tax on all inputs of £45000/6 in my VAT return.
Secondly the 30% ratio is a rough estimate, what proof would I need to give hmrc that it is correct, and would they actually challenge it since the 47% is awfully close to half
Thanks in advance
- Self-assessment statistics 2,265 51
- Owning overseas property 147 1
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 80 3
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 67 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,354 38
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 329 7
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 254 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 256 1
- OneNote is fantastic 241 7
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 664 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,114 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 87 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 341 5
- PPR on a development? 231 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 360 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 908 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,796 15
- Cloud accounting package 202 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,028 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 520 15
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 638
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 397
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 374
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 227
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 208