Good afternoon all.
The problem we are having at the moment is we have a group company which had invoiced to its 4 sister companies back in May 2007. The VAT liability on all the invoices would have been at around £200k. Unfortunately (from what I have been told) a genuine mistake was made and the VAT was not included in the VAT returns. The VAT element was instead posted to a VAT suspense account and had been kept there since.
3 of the sister companies did not claim the VAt and posted the Input VAT to a VAT suspense account and this has been brought forward and carried forward in the accounts since.
On the other hand, the other company had claimed its £50 worth of input VAT and actually got the refund.
We now have a situation where one company owes £200k to HMRC and 3 other companies are owed £150k, giving us a net liability (from a Group Perspective) of £50K.
Now we know that all this happened more than 4 years ago and HMRC would not go back 4 years unless they can prove there was Dishonest Conduct and fines can be pretty hefty if they can prove that this is the case.
Could any one please advise as to how we should go about clearing this mess?
And would HMRC agree to settling of the net amount of £50k or will each company be assessed separately.
Thank you all.
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 49 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 334 15
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 555 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 66 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 266 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 120 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 528 11
- Flat rate vat error 327 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 528 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 288 14
- can I claim a per diem 266 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 137 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,378 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 247 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 104 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 297 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 536 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 864 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 166 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 838
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 508
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 318
- How to format a stock book 288
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 211
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 182
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181