VAT on labour for self employed
I have been advising a self employed friend on whether or not to register for VAT .
This would be a voluntary registration as he is currently below the threshold .
His prime business is Hedge cutting , usually around farmers fields but this also includes other
general farming work , for example , sowing and harvesting .
The work can involve using his own tractor but sometimes not .
My question is , if he did register for VAT , and the fact that most of the invoice would be "labour time" ,
would the labour element be chargeable for VAT ?
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 103 6
- Auto enrolment 349 6
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 304 3
- Share swap 245 6
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 247 3
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 89 1
- Threshold for RTI submission 44 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 158 2
- Was I rude 545 16
- Top slicing relief question no 2 130 3
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 83 3
- Maternity Pay 126 2
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 572 14
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 622 10
- Recording VAT refund and payment on Sage 50 55 1
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,719 27
- Director's minimum wage? 231 4
- Advertising services? 306 1
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 312 4
- Invoice factoring 254 8
- Skandia using wrong address 1,471
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 801
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 436
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 410
- Sale of business 376
- NOVA 276
- IRIS Open Books problem 272
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 187
- Expenses claim for non employee 177