VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 102 6
- missing 852 19
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,735 60
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 482 15
- are receipts needed? 73 1
- Partnership merger 73 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 694 25
- Self-employed b/f losses 92 2
- Know it alls (who don't) 813 19
- VAT on motor expenses 989 36
- Incorporation with pending court case 161 3
- Reposted question 131 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 259 7
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 272 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 193 3
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 360 17
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 149 3
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 538 11
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 105 3
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 273 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,567
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 867
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 333
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 245
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 221
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 214
- Help with tax codes on Sage 167
- Capital reduction 158