VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 81 2
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 572 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,698 59
- SMP reclaimable by employer 254 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 206 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 47 1
- inflation rate year on year 55 2
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 78 2
- Yorkshire Day 497 33
- Deleted question? 619 15
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 260 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 328 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 140 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 338 15
- E-Magazines and pdfs 140 3
- Late annual return 197 2
- Flat rate VAT 363 8
- corporation tax 476 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,133 29
- Dividend dates 689 13
- Cancelled 454
- Cancelled 379
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 372
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Probiz 349
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 253
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 230
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 222
- More spam 180
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 153