VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 289 8
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 132 5
- Do I need to pay my accountant 329 6
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 588 7
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 495 24
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 144 3
- Lloyds bank ... 420 6
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 380 18
- Limited company buying a car 214 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 483 10
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 257 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 304 4
- ACCA practice certificates 518 5
- Limited company buying director's car 318 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 103 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 143 1
- WC's and capital allowances 190 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 331 13
- Dress code 1,570 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 486 13
- CTA study material 774
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 402
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 285
- Expat pension contributions? 261
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 260
- Trust for Employee 239
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 188
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149