VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 655 12
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 58 2
- Personal pension 429 9
- Business rates consultancy 255 4
- Wrong tax code 142 6
- Benefit in Kind 233 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 66 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 241 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,050 31
- Deferred Tax 460 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 202 1
- You know its over 477 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 241 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 141 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 223 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,266 14
- Cocaine anyone? 615 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 143 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 304 2
- Hive up 508
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 473
- corporate hierarchy 450
- Advice - 290
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 235
- WWOOFers 229
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 215
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 191
- The booking.com con 167
- UK State pension paid in NZ 162