VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- LLP as member of LLP 93 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,738 48
- B2B vat in the EU 141 3
- Coding Notice 163 4
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 140 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 132 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 451 7
- Vat 283 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,278 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 347 7
- Recharge for private use of a company car 195 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 164 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,492 18
- CT/CIS offset 148 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 195 4
- Trade name 196 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 143 1
- New business - journal entries 323 20
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 319 18
- VAT on deposits 212 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 821
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 711
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 392
- Social investment tax relief 210
- Digita Hosted Software 205
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 163
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 149
- accounting for this transaction 146