VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- Has been asked before but help needed 154 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 174 6
- Buy to let allowable interest 28 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 280 4
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 385 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 479 25
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 306 13
- Consequential loss claim 45 1
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 177 11
- private to company car? 94 2
- Does anyone do payrolling of benefits? 121 1
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 223 8
- Sale of an investment between group companies 103 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 857 32
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 395 12
- RTI - EPS - ??? 263 4
- That old chestnut 602 9
- Sale of part of business & Entrepreneur's Relief 71 1
- Partner with an IVA 117 4
- Joint filing delays 73 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 443
- CTA study material 409
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 298
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 271
- Pre incorp expenses 264
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 233
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 227
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 172
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 170