VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 147 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,040 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 200 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 78 1
- FBI2 192 3
- Double entry 150 4
- Companies House 130 3
- sage 86 2
- Small house in garden 132 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 113 2
- Clients 913 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 280 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 135 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 267 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 307 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 128 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 517 11
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 164 3
- SAGE winforecast 248 1
- Trust 114 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 535
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 466
- EPS and CIS deductions 326
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 299
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 262
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199