VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- PRR 22 1
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 21 1
- Pension Contributions Relief 408 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,402 422
- References for clients 113 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 181 5
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 996 49
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 97 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 31 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 296 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 71 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 277 1
- corp tax software 291 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 192 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 157 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 560 24
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 348 16
- Is this fraud? 561 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 97 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 282 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,291
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 458
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 162
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 147
- CIS paid under reg 9 133