VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- Setting up an offshore company 190 3
- break even point 351 11
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 70 2
- Is this a scam? 834 16
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 67 2
- Profit split on buy-to let 176 3
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 29 1
- client issues 144 3
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 722 17
- Payroll software 311 12
- Sage Line 50 Help 43 1
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 259 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 388 20
- Rip off letting agents 581 12
- VAT silly question 2,118 44
- Automatic Enrolment Letter code 145 3
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 293 7
- BrightPay 458 12
- Question for FreeAgent users 202 6
- Hello there 499 4