VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- Where has Portia gone? 4,112 101
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 534 19
- CT600 for first year UK company trading abroad 101 9
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 216 4
- RTI Payroll ID 863 21
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 177 4
- VAT flat rate scheme 510 9
- Computations in HMRC accounts software 86 2
- EIS 3 Processing Delays at HMRC 169 2
- Unwarranted VAT assessments 116 1
- micro entity balance sheet query 204 5
- Virtual Assistants 106 1
- Where can I report and accountant for defraud 432 6
- Overlap profit 136 1
- Sole trader paying Class 1 NIC 136 1
- Stock of photos to capatilise 336 14
- Spousal transfer and PPR 812 34
- Rogue Accountant 3,656 57
- Assigning loan from Company to adult children 116 2
- Practice management software 1,127 21
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 827
- Pensions Regulator 469
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 435
- Sanzar 331
- How do you do it 321
- Digital marketing focus group 309
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 281
- new investor structure 192
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 190
- Fit for purpose 188