VAT Mobile phone top up vouchers
Following the ECJ decision of Lebara Ltd, HMRC have acted quickly to amend the way VAT is accounted for on Single Purpose Vouchers, it would seem as almost a given that mobile phone top up vouchers should be considered as single purpose vouchers as the Lebara case was based totally upon this assumption .
I am however yet to see a mobile top up voucher that invoices for VAT, recent VAT receipts from the Vodafone and O2 stores still shows zero rated in the VAT column.
I have concluded either;
Lebara vouchers were considered single purpose vouchers because services such as premium rate calls and SMS are barred, this means the credit can only be used for calls and SMS not for the purchase of games and ringtones. With Vodafone vouchers in addition to calls and SMS the credit can be used for the purchased of games and ringtones albeit though the process of call or SMS (premium rate).
Revenue & Customs Brief 12/12 1.2 allowed for businesses to make intimidate changes or continue as is and make an adjustment to cover the intervening period. It could be the Vodafone has decided to make this adjustment in the future.
I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
- Company formation and bank account 194 7
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 628 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,518 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 480 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 386 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 168 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 390 8
- OneNote is fantastic 459 11
- VAT Direct Debit 349 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 434 8
- Self Assessment Software 679 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 430 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,347 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 238 11
- Owning overseas property 224 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 333 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 279 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 687 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,145 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 648
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 398
- Property letting & CAs 386
- 2015 tax year end 380
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 379
- FCA regulated company in a small group 338
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 255
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 235
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229