VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 495 14
- Dividend Vouchers 362 5
- Gift to employee 402 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 156 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 133 2
- practice planning 90 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,109 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 177 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 153 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,653 10
- Which address 1,072 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 603 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,512 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,221 44
- R&D tax claim 260 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 547 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 217 7
- Tax Allowance on University Course 200 1
- Transfer of a business 132 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,172 22
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 488
- CTA study material 461
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 338
- Pre incorp expenses 322
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 273
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 263
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 213
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 167
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 140
- Employment related securities question 129