VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Real names 1,227 37
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 384 7
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 86 1
- Expenses Apps 146 2
- first year company tax return for a limited company 106 3
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 158 4
- Quick Easy Quote 227 4
- What are options for non CA firm 1,781 29
- Solicitor accounts 35 1
- Unallocated client money 221 7
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 169 2
- change of office address 104 4
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 216 3
- Incorporation Relief 110 4
- Letting income or partnership income? 86 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 353 4
- Furniture Rental Business 91 2
- Client Death 547 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 193 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 353 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 602
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 475
- Sorry ignore me 377
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 278
- Cancelled 241
- Cancelled 210
- Bartercard 171
- C79 Discrepancy 166
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 159