VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 54 2
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 104 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 443 17
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 186 6
- Paid too much !! 154 1
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 76 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 63 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 64 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 470 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 738 11
- Sports Sponsorship 110 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 237 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 207 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 194 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,307 14
- Best software for small practice? 602 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,261 21
- HMRC Enquiry 475 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 217 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 288 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 764
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 453
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 223
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181