VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Are HMRC getting it right? 167 3
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 155 12
- Aggressive HMRC 1,607 17
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 135 2
- Dazed & confused 248 3
- Tax efficient holding company structure 294 1
- Property scam victim 104 1
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 218 4
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 140 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 74 1
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,674 68
- Loss on disposal and impairment 64 1
- Comments on this scenario 153 3
- PPR election - what do you think? 235 7
- Penalties 123 1
- SAGE con 240 4
- rates of pay query 232 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 103 2
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 206 1
- Overpayment relief claim 163 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,026
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 559
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 367
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 278
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 215
- Charge out rates in London? 215
- Personal consumption by landlord 184
- Interest on Loan to a Company 175
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 151
- Agent fees to sell business 144