VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 45 1
- Incorrect CIS Invoices from Subcontractors 63 3
- SA800 Returns 127 3
- Do you lose losses on cessation 259 8
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 182 8
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,232 20
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 47 1
- Corporation Tax 198 9
- Company name change question... 60 1
- CGT and 2nd property 936 14
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 89 1
- Self Ass. Return 240 3
- Late payment payroll 165 2
- Deferred Tax 219 9
- New Boiler at Rental Property 503 6
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 822 22
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 235 8
- Depreciation 404 8
- Knuckle down one week to go! 419 7
- state pension statement 223 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 811
- Copy Wanted 529
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 482
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 472
- Latest phishing scam 320
- Entrepreneurs' relief 299
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 267
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 262
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 261
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 166