VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Error in audited accounts 133 2
- Pratice Management Software 173 3
- Use of home query 102 2
- IT advisory questions? 265 7
- signature required 550 22
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 274 6
- Vat registration exception 202 3
- CIS software 97 2
- Homing sandwiches 479 11
- CT600 137 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 195 7
- Settlement discount 158 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 521 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 195 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 179 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 143 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 225 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 142 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 194 2
- Related Party Transactions 134 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,255
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 822
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 526
- Digita Hosted Software 342
- Credit where credit's due....... 318
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 245
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 202
- TheTax Donut 185
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 166
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 165