VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,178 61
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,535 427
- Cash injection by shareholder 170 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 231 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 391 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,369 43
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 265 5
- 40% rule for travel expenses 199 1
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 328 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 277 8
- PRR 289 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 189 3
- corp tax software 364 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 452 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 476 7
- Which tax box 195 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 154 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 268 3
- References for clients 235 2
- Direct Debit - no receipts 179 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 465
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 283
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 152
- CIS paid under reg 9 145