VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 399 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 132 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 103 1
- Registered Office 155 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,485 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 314 5
- Partnership Registration 109 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 908 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 113 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 690 12
- Audit Required 1,187 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 310 9
- Residential Management Companies 95 2
- Value pricing 2,857 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 400 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 397 11
- Payroll software for Mac 124 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 124 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 218 5
- CIS and Close Company 209 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 947
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 661
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 404
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 334
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 263
- Paye procedures for CVA 252
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 201
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 194
- Pension Fixed Protection 189