VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Can an owner hold company money 86 2
- Windows 10 anyone? 213 5
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 343 10
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 410 8
- Bankstream 1,080 25
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 289 3
- Benefit in Kind 193 7
- SDLT 294 8
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 144 1
- Dutch Accountant 426 1
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 113 1
- FACTA form help with CRS definitions for SSAS 196 4
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 815 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,614 34
- Restricted interest relief 129 2
- Disengagement Help! 584 15
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 900 16
- Renewals on property rental business 103 1
- Not a question - just a POI 235 3
- MVL 102 2