VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,001 28
- 27,000 Really? 517 21
- West Bromich Albion 131 1
- accounting entries for over payments 78 2
- EYU adjustment to 13/14 PAYE 84 1
- This is getting boring 321 9
- Legal title not in the company name 510 18
- Child tax credits 305 5
- VAT on printing when being a third party 62 1
- NALS Accountants Report 239 3
- VAT - Recharge 192 6
- Employment Allowance 328 5
- Farm barn lettings 85 1
- CIC Company 594 10
- transitioning payroll 326 9
- dividend proposals 237 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 295 4
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,956 61
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,577 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 231 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 629
- Cancelled 368
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 319
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 293
- Probiz 278
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 247
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 238
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 212
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 180