VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- A Friday Funny. 97 4
- Is it any of my business ? 1,391 14
- Accounting for display stands 151 5
- vat gross profit percentage margins 394 1
- HMRC enquiry - PAYE error / RTI 263 4
- VAT training 138 3
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 321 6
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 148 1
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 350 9
- Companies House Search 201 2
- HMRC Online Services Problems 544 14
- AML reporting to NCA 113 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,495 25
- VAT on new build property 285 5
- Who gets the CGT deduction 159 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,805 15
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,455 24
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 570 16
- Outsourcing 129 1
- Goodwill on incorporation 190 1
- NHS finance professionals 695
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 426
- Foreign Pension Contribution 396
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 379
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 375
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 327
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 295
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 264
- IFA income recognition & reporting 220
- Incorporating doctors 214