VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Skype treating businesses as private consumers; no VAT invoices 417 1
- career 296 1
- Help - ACCA uk practicing certification forms 167 3
- Help required please 371 9
- What does PITA mean? 226 6
- Vat to be Paid? 128 3
- CGT base cost 270 11
- A little bit of politics 398 5
- Filling in my self assessment 519 8
- Should small companies be audited? 928 39
- You know you're an accountant when... 1,331 40
- Ultimate Controlling Party Disclosure Questions 213 5
- RSU and double taxation 142 1
- Can i really not unreconcile a vat return in sage? 113 1
- Assets transferred at cost 204 5
- currency exchange rates across FY 83 1
- Online behaviour and Aweb 746 7
- HP agreement in directors name 426 8
- Where has Portia gone? 8,748 142
- Mileage claim restriction 326 2
- Sanzar 447
- Digital marketing focus group 368
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 323
- Continuity Agreement 286
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 263
- Buyback 260
- Sainsbury's mangement 252
- Avanti Accounts 234
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 191
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 167