VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 214 4
- VAT on motor expenses 950 35
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 72 2
- Share swap 446 17
- CIS Deductions 126 6
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 114 2
- Know it alls (who don't) 625 14
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,833 28
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 461 14
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 486 10
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,542 45
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 344 16
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 840 17
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 178 4
- Check my logic on this please? 261 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 92 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 236 6
- Late P45 221 5
- CIC accounts submission 112 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 616 20
- Skandia using wrong address 1,565
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 865
- International interest certificate 476
- NOVA 333
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 252
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 242
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 220
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 209
- Help with tax codes on Sage 163