VAT not being declared
I am currently working in a small ish practice where there is one partner.
I have been working on a client who owns one company (X Ltd) and half of another company (Y Ltd) and they are trading with each other. We act for both of these companies. Y Ltd submitted it's final VAT return in September 2012 and is now ceased.
When completing X Ltd's accounts this year (Oct 2012) I noticed that there is about £100,000 worth of extra Purchases in X Ltd from Y Ltd, than there was in Y Ltd Sales ledger to X Ltd (I looked on their sage to compare). Therefore, X Ltd have claimed about £17k worth of Input VAT which Y Ltd has not declared as output VAT. The complitation is that Y Ltd has now ceased.
My boss is saying just to leave it for now but I think this is dreadfully wrong! I need to put my foot down but I obviously don't want to do it too much. Also, the boss is friends with this client which makes it a little more delicate!
I really just want advice on what I SHOULD do (I'm guessing that I should amend Y Ltd's FInal VAT return with the extra VAT?) and then if it is decided to not do that should I report this and to whom?
Any help is appreciated as I find myself in a very strange and unknown position.
- Market Value/Connected Persons 272 10
- Online Downtime 323 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 304 3
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 184 3
- FPS or EPS 52 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 759 31
- Personal allowance 657 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 151 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,916 16
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 111 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 427 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,109 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 304 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 383 10
- VAT on employee loan 300 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 959 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 168 2
- Accountants website 403 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 175 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 493 8
- Moving away from CCH software 941
- QROP pension input amounts 434
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 376
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 351
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 315
- fraud 274
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 244
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 216
- Construction CIS LLP Company 202
- EPS and CIS deductions 189