My VAT return was filed on 30th of the month, I use flat rate VAT and my accountant prepares the return, on the 10th of the following month I realised there was an error on the return and VAT of over £1,000 had not been claimed on an asset, I cancelled my Direct Debit and paid the correct amount by electronic transfer the following day (one day before the DD would have left my account), the same day a correction was filed.
EDIT: About a week later HMRC issued a penalty which has been appealed against as it was on a technicality.
As HMRC got their money on or before the date they would have and there was no intent to make a cahflow benefit I cannot see a problem, what do you think of my chances?
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 669 17
- incorrect old p60 82 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 470 4
- VAT on new builds 102 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 339 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 113 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 104 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 115 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,809 26
- Missing tax return 150 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 916 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 272 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 154 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 550 18
- Physiotherapy 235 3
- Inflation and fees 1,212 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 157 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 276 8
- CGT help please 140 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 342 7