My VAT return was filed on 30th of the month, I use flat rate VAT and my accountant prepares the return, on the 10th of the following month I realised there was an error on the return and VAT of over £1,000 had not been claimed on an asset, I cancelled my Direct Debit and paid the correct amount by electronic transfer the following day (one day before the DD would have left my account), the same day a correction was filed.
EDIT: About a week later HMRC issued a penalty which has been appealed against as it was on a technicality.
As HMRC got their money on or before the date they would have and there was no intent to make a cahflow benefit I cannot see a problem, what do you think of my chances?
- Community Faux Pas 306 15
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 282 5
- check v enquiry v discovery 142 2
- Amend a 2010/11 return 274 4
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,304 23
- Owner director gym membership 223 6
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 178 6
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 1,838 34
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,509 36
- Tax Fines - HMRC 589 8
- Practical experience 684 13
- Has this payroll data been created retrospectively? 159 2
- Autumn statement predictions 824 9
- Travelling expenses 164 3
- Exemption from CGT 448 12
- J10 - stock transfer form 102 2
- Post AAT? 458 1
- Do I need to register for VAT 212 11
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 135 3
- VAT - Check on clients business 708 28