My VAT return was filed on 30th of the month, I use flat rate VAT and my accountant prepares the return, on the 10th of the following month I realised there was an error on the return and VAT of over £1,000 had not been claimed on an asset, I cancelled my Direct Debit and paid the correct amount by electronic transfer the following day (one day before the DD would have left my account), the same day a correction was filed.
EDIT: About a week later HMRC issued a penalty which has been appealed against as it was on a technicality.
As HMRC got their money on or before the date they would have and there was no intent to make a cahflow benefit I cannot see a problem, what do you think of my chances?
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 238 2
- Personal Tax 263 7
- 64-8's amazingly quick 27 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,198 46
- Practical experience 870 16
- Xerocon 2016 835 13
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,884 41
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 249 2
- Mortgage Reference 203 2
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 180 3
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 440 9
- VAT 310 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 241 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 216 1
- last minute request 325 3
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 83 1
- Cash gift from India 511 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 90 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 490 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 146 2