VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 289 5
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 145 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 71 2
- EIS 173 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 63 2
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 72 1
- Your comments please 235 5
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 90 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 177 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 84 1
- CGT history of shares 137 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 691 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 189 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 116 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 207 2
- Closing my business down 376 20
- Recording Calls 117 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 96 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,307 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,507 21
- Moving away from CCH software 960
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 390
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 370
- fraud 294
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 267
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 235
- Construction CIS LLP Company 222
- EPS and CIS deductions 215
- Out of time or not? 199