VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- The importance of Grammar 1,041 26
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 397 5
- Scissors 725 23
- Mobile phone costs during maternity leave for OMB 236 8
- working from home 1,655 29
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 100 2
- Car leasing 180 3
- VAT underpayments and financial reporting 151 2
- VAT & Offshore Companies 153 7
- Childcare 312 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,059 30
- tax saving on card points 125 2
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,729 12
- HMRC site down ? 345 6
- Rent A Room 300 8
- Xero Pain Points 436 16
- "cycle to work" and self-employment benefit? 222 7
- VAT - How hard is it? 546 16
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 741 9
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 1,825 11
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 365
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 311
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 296
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 287
- Electric Car 239
- S222 Charge 214
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 206
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 197
- Company Structure 186
- VAT and customer entertaining 170