VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 76 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 454 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 137 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 549 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 243 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 86 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 164 3
- Foreign income for self employed 103 1
- tax credits 59 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 598 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 48 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 482 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 222 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 216 7
- Musician deductible expenses 91 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 101 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 282 8
- Flat rate vat error 345 7
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 545 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 851
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 510
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 296
- Tax efficient holding company structure 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 231
- Investment property company accounts template 221
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 182
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 153