VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 195 6
- Feedback on Kashflow and VAT 35 1
- Sage reporting 36 2
- CGT on second home? 18 1
- Myfirmsapp 674 16
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 59 2
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 836 29
- BTC Software 108 4
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 476 12
- Taxfiler V's BTC 662 25
- Directors loan accounts 120 4
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,156 17
- New Practice 244 14
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 143 3
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 261 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 540 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 103 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 2,000 25
- Valuation of business 316 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 173 7
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 589
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 516
- NOVA 472
- Bonus Bonds 357
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 337
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 230
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 224
- Quickbooks 2015 152