VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 172 5
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 159 3
- Where has Portia gone? 1,655 63
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 88 1
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 202 6
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 187 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 254 4
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 386 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 326 9
- Merging my businesses 127 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,719 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 515 16
- VAT on commercial property 141 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,037 49
- deceased creditor 202 5
- Corporate member of LLP 278 1
- Investment company 271 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 344 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 220 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 374 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 781
- RTI - duplicate employee record 535
- Pensions Regulator 444
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 404
- Sage Vat return box 2 307
- Sanzar 304
- Digital marketing focus group 288
- How do you do it 278
- Portia ... Where art thou 258
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 253