VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 261 4
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 374 7
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,865 53
- What's the best software for this? 418 4
- Email encryption 1,405 15
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,211 22
- Next Move 746 21
- Zoho Books 172 1
- Self-assessment statistics 2,501 59
- Transmission of ISA 146 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 223 2
- Not renewing AAT 698 9
- CGT of shares gifted 389 6
- New dividend taxation 545 3
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 191 1
- Company car v company allowance 320 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 445 9
- Company formation and bank account 471 9
- Owning overseas property 375 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 296 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 674
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 413
- Property letting & CAs 406
- 2015 tax year end 401
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 399
- FCA regulated company in a small group 349
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 324
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- Costly Accounting Software contract 233
- DTA tie-breaker issue 221