VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 802 21
- Scottish Independance 848 24
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 28 1
- Funding Circle experience 30 1
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 679 20
- Awkward IP 1,466 16
- New supplier 68 2
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 44 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 205 12
- Audit 357 9
- Buying a horse?? 278 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 203 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,107 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 967 11
- What's in a name ? 1,135 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 222 2
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 502 7
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 793 22
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,121 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 145 1
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 489
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 439
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 274
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 271
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 211
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154