VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Tax Credit Office opening hours 119 1
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 95 4
- Payment of tax due on 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return 91 2
- Non resident income. 468 21
- Why do I do this every year 456 10
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 287 22
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 161 3
- Hobby Horse 810 8
- What sectors to target? 621 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 278 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 198 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,956 41
- Self assesment online 1,013 11
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 310 5
- closing limited company 201 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 129 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 549 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 262 9
- IHT and US resident 81 1
- Limited Companies Merger 218 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 937
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 654
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 605
- Latest phishing scam 583
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 420
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 316
- Scratch Head 247
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 240
- Sabbatical payments 201
- Negligible Value Claim 180