VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Surcharges on very late VAT 94 1
- Was I rude 299 12
- Invoice factoring 226 8
- Director's minimum wage? 139 3
- Share swap 216 4
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 451 9
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 313 9
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 139 2
- Entrepreneurs relief/ Company Secretary 125 2
- Work in progress calculation 93 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 936 29
- Help with share restructuring 95 1
- HMRC Employers Diary 574 1
- Advice please on best way forward 558 7
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 581 9
- old client has come out of the woodwork 352 2
- Scoot 399 7
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 510 3
- paye scheme very used 265 3
- Operating lease 147 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,471
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 795
- Any views 721
- International interest certificate 434
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 407
- Sale of business 372
- Advertising services? 274
- NOVA 272
- IRIS Open Books problem 267
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 184