VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- incorrect old p60 135 2
- Redundancy Pay 430 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 671 6
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 699 19
- Sage Priority Support 98 2
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 492 4
- VAT on new builds 120 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 349 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 129 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 123 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 141 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,852 26
- Missing tax return 186 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 922 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 278 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 165 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 559 18
- Physiotherapy 246 3
- Inflation and fees 1,224 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 174 3