VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Accountancy Career 331 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,700 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 95 1
- Accounts Software 159 5
- HMRC Agents Line 218 4
- calculation DTR restriction 92 1
- Company Director In Prison 463 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 86 1
- AWeb - download file 181 3
- Charity work 249 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 268 6
- Director Drawings 185 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 275 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 240 7
- Collection or business assets 117 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 277 8
- Tax position re this lease? 372 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 732 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 109 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,677 70
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 683
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 522
- Cancelled 428
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 204