VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,153 45
- Mortgage Reference 72 1
- Practical experience 830 15
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 408 9
- Personal Tax 120 1
- VAT 302 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 163 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 120 1
- last minute request 220 3
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 116 2
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 76 1
- Cash gift from India 487 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 74 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 415 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 98 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 242 6
- Maternity and claining expenses 652 6
- Overseas workday relief 162 5
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 314 3
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 669 13