VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Audit partner? 194 5
- Can't read my handwriting 521 12
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,652 471
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 101 7
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 664 15
- Email hacker for hire ... 264 6
- corp tax software 912 12
- Is this fraud? 822 13
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 405 4
- Fees for Property Tax Return 439 10
- Accountancy packages for FRS 102 288 6
- Does anyone use quotation software? 283 5
- SA302 for mortgage advisors 195 4
- Flat rate scheme 348 4
- PPR posers 253 6
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 917 9
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 424 9
- Naming new company 449 7
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,033 43
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 294 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,358
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 508
- National Insurance 399
- Non Resident 312
- Hands on experience of Digita 233
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 213
- Employer's Helpline 181
- CIS paid under reg 9 174
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 143
- Donaldson V HMRC 139