VAT ON PREPAID SERVICE
I just have a question regarding VAT.
My client has just been registered for Vat and the 1st return is end of Jan 2012. They operate a private hire business (minicab service). They are agents and only have to pay VAT on the commissions they earn.
They take lots of advance bookings which are paid at the time boking with credit or debit card.
I am stuck on an issue. I was told that we have to pay the VAT on the day the credit card is charged, even if the journey is carried outside the 3 months period the VAT return covers.
These all assume that we know commission we will earn if the job is carried out as it is booked. This is not always the case. The job might get cancelled or there is additional drops etc.
Questions: Can we pay the Vat only once service is carried out (for the journeys paid prepaid).
Thanks for your help in advance. Happy New Year to everyone.
- Reversing out RTI 93 5
- IHT Query 46 1
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 293 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 838 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 291 8
- Capital Gain? 398 10
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 266 6
- BrightPay 607 18
- Classic cars investment 235 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 205 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 318 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 326 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 266 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 258 2
- H&W company 218 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 189 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 168 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 163 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 805 32
- VAT silly question 2,406 56
- Benchmarking 490
- Possible Partnership? 433
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 410
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 409
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 352
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 208
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 208
- Clubs and Taxable Income 198
- Income tax on foreign dividends 191
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 185