VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 171 4
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 775 16
- CIS Deductions 46 2
- Share swap 407 14
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 313 14
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 161 3
- Check my logic on this please? 227 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 67 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 220 6
- Late P45 197 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 545 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 426 13
- CIC accounts submission 92 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 599 20
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 444 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 266 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,513 44
- What does it mean?? 484 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,145 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 240 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,564
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 249
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 240
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 206
- Help with tax codes on Sage 161