VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- Tax relief when working away 16 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 909 36
- Self assessment for directors 20 1
- Tax relief when working away 125 3
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 236 9
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,298 20
- Designated sole Residence 222 5
- A little knowledge 238 5
- Scratch Head 326 1
- Year end 250 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 314 13
- Clothing 624 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 150 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 181 5
- Identity check problem 1,510 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 195 1
- Capital allowances on Software 235 2
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 130 3
- Company director and KIT days 133 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,194 50
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 960
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 684
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 631
- Latest phishing scam 608
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 446
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 331
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 265
- Sabbatical payments 223
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 207
- Negligible Value Claim 203