VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 282 10
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 21 1
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 50 2
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 89 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 196 13
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 195 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,374 18
- R&D - HMRC Manual 73 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 342 14
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 242 5
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,122 27
- How to network with other Accountants? 572 3
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 523 21
- Advice for new build property 109 3
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 288 5
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 288 8
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 230 3
- Claiming accommodation as employment expense? 149 1
- Sage Line 50 107 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,957 58
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 402
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 371
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 349
- Electric Car 285
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 171
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 164
- AIA 159
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 153