VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 281 6
- Childcare vouchers 55 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 183 5
- VAT avoidance? 144 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 133 3
- PAYE coding out 120 3
- Follower cases 558 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 296 3
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 705 23
- LIVE chat, starting now 439 2
- Late Registration for VAT 431 12
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 388 5
- TheTax Donut 1,125 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 313 6
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 696 10
- How to explain this to someone 384 2
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 80 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 705 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 314 4
- Old CGT loss 358 10
- Hive up 458
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 423
- corporate hierarchy 410
- Advice - 233
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 206
- Amortisation of Goodwill 200
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 191
- WWOOFers 185
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 168
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 166