VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 76 1
- CIS and Xero 257 1
- Mortgage Reference 846 12
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 194 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 128 2
- property capital gains 397 4
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 84 1
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 121 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 284 8
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 868 9
- Tips on meals 560 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,331 15
- S.455 Tax again 451 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 191 3
- Closing down loss-making company 796 15
- Stumped - IHT 612 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 161 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 499 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 417 14
- co-operatives & Societies 134 1
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 980
- Members in Public Practice 594
- Oplex Careers CPD 363
- Payroll manager and the cloud 290
- Is the APN valid 240
- Treatment of EIS relate back? 236
- Institute of Customer Services 235
- Kashflow payroll 228
- Class 4 NI due on 2 self employments 223
- Continuity of Practice 206