VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- 5th April 278 10
- Company buy back of shares from directors 199 11
- Please tell me what to do!! 328 8
- VAT on exports to EU 80 1
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,988 33
- Cash basis 137 5
- Cash basis 796 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 279 2
- Investor exit 251 4
- client threatening legal action 2,313 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 139 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 239 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 346 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,589 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 575 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 336 9
- Rental income 160 2
- s455 Directors loan 219 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 77 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,195 8
- Skandia using wrong address 612
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 327
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 275
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 239
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 153
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 141
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 137