VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 269 7
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 594 9
- 31st october deadline 366 6
- Property gift to sister 150 4
- RTI Late Registration query 142 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 218 2
- Payroll software 146 1
- Who gets the CGT deduction 212 2
- Accounting for display stands 231 7
- Companies House Search 300 3
- VAT training 283 4
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 276 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,513 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 322 3
- A Friday Funny. 325 5
- Something for the weekend? 288 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 558 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,252 19
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,541 26
- Coming out of flat rate 160 1
- NHS finance professionals 709
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 402
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 386
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 384
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 338
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 301
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 279
- IFA income recognition & reporting 224
- Incorporating doctors 219