VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- New Practice 34 2
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 221 3
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,113 16
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 79 1
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 45 1
- Taxfiler V's BTC 601 23
- Goods Purchased for Rental 500 28
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,982 25
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 422 8
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 748 25
- Valuation of business 302 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 151 7
- Dividend Payments 409 10
- I.d for vat registration 171 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 138 4
- builder's 'cost only' job 178 1
- Myfirmsapp 630 13
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 283 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 183 3
- CIS Deductions 142 2
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,009
- International interest certificate 588
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 512
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 355
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 335
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 229
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 222
- Quickbooks 2015 152