VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- Off site storage 55 1
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 246 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,056 42
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 80 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 85 2
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 503 4
- Joint Property rent 144 3
- Self assesment losses 245 7
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 182 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 224 1
- Fee protection 854 16
- Overdrawn DLA 248 9
- Disposal of an opted property 131 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 236 5
- Irish Taxation 93 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,120 31
- CIS monthly declaration 196 9
- Telephone call from "Xero" 363 4
- Form 2.8b notice of intention to appoint administrator 133 3
- Companies House incorporation service 472 14
- Xtuple 560
- Qtac payroll for bureau 382
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 333
- Industrial & Provident Societies 322
- Domain name sale and limited company 222
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 203
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 202
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 173
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 159