VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 922 21
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,929 27
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 356 7
- Your fondest calculator memories 965 36
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 129 5
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 318 13
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 303 1
- Unquoted company valuation multiples 41 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 254 6
- private to company car? 295 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 864 13
- Question re Career choice... 1,384 9
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 232 7
- Which address 829 10
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 215 6
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 334 6
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 340 8
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 472 13
- Capital or revenue expense? 191 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 274 11
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 462
- CTA study material 442
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 312
- Pre incorp expenses 292
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 253
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 244
- Slight twist on employment related securities 221
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 206
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 194
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 134