VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- Class 1A NIC on motorbike fuel 83 5
- Best software for small practice? 41 1
- NEST web services & Moneysoft 430 5
- HMRC Statements 93 2
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 634 10
- Tax Planning for Family and Owner-Managed Companies 2015/16 346 7
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 495 12
- VAT and CT issues on splitting of business 236 4
- Cloud-based email services? 485 10
- Goodwill on incorporation low level valuations 117 1
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,130 18
- Land Registry 303 4
- Car benefit or not? 2,259 19
- Excel First Tab/Last Tab missing in latest version(s) 378 4
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 631 20
- Annual Investment Allowance on Van 572 12
- Time recording 341 5
- Auto enrolment without a PAYE scheme? 157 2
- iris update 11.9.2 341 5
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 289 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 747
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 445
- Costly Accounting Software contract 384
- Directors' advances and credits 295
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 266
- DTA tie-breaker issue 256
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 236
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 215
- CGT for NOn UK residents 207
- Apprenticeship Levy 187