VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 125 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 329 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 213 3
- FreeAgent question 108 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 135 2
- CIS monthly returns 184 2
- Goodie bag 1,555 52
- Husband Wife let property 352 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 502 12
- Output tax for retailer 314 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 283 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 140 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 139 1
- CT600 Advice 142 1
- Fair Value Accounting 81 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 160 4
- can I approach clients ? 411 8
- Companies House Penalties 152 2
- Apostille documents 118 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 547 13
- Possible Partnership? 644
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 518
- New Fangled Penalties 449
- Fuming! 383
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 318
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 257
- Outsource Data Entry 242
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 236
- Moving away from CCH software 229
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 177