VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- get an accountant not an unqulified accounting clerk 136 8
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 225 3
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 77 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 72 2
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 530 13
- CGT history of shares 194 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 151 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 216 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 345 6
- CGT on sale of let property 137 2
- how do i get UTR 164 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 100 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 250 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 156 1
- Your comments please 330 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 205 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 141 2
- EIS 204 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 143 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 122 2
- Moving away from CCH software 972
- QROP pension input amounts 456
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 387
- fraud 309
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 288
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 249
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 228
- Out of time or not? 215