VAT refund on new build
Here is the scenario...
Planning permission was granted for a new dwelling in the front garden of an existng one. The plans that were submitted to the council showed 'conversion' of the old garage but in reality this was demolished to the slab and replaced on the same footprint. This was the intention from the outset and the word 'replacement' rather than 'conversion' should have been used on the planning applicaiton. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing!
The old garage slab now happens to the the living room of the new property.
HMRC have refused the application for a vat refund using the argument that the building is unlawful - it did not follow the planning consent as the garage was demolished rather than converted. They state that this does not therefore meet the requirements of para 12 of VAT431NB and VAT act 1994 Sch 8 Group 5 Note 2(d).
We have photographic evidence that the building was completely demolished if we can persuade HMRC that the building is lawful (it passed building regs and has a completion certificate!)
Any recomendations on the method of appeal would be much appreciated.
If you know of any previous cases that have been passed on this basis, a link would also be much appreciated.
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,553 12
- Audit Required 102 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,756 25
- Value pricing 220 8
- company secretarial software 140 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 140 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 62 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 187 1
- Rental Income 299 6
- Payroll 2012/13 102 1
- I have a pain 693 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 82 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 173 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 734 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 121 3
- Cash flow 147 2
- New use of home - simplified method 247 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 267 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 396 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,955 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 731
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 500
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 344
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 342
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 263
- VAT on Gaming Machines 211
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 199
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 184
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 176
- Director Loan account operation 147