VAT - Refusal to Register
Stuff like this is why it is easily possible to slash numbers at HMRC and slash the backlog at the same time.
I applied online for a client's registration on 14 Feb, straightforward stuff. Transfer of a going concern of a restaurant business, my client is a partnership. Back came some paperwork, VAT 5 and VAT 2. Annoying given that they asked for information we'd already given in the original application, but I sent it off. My client later sent it off too not realising I had. Then 2 weeks later they asked for the same info. again.
Very annoying, but my client sent it off again. Then 2 weeks later they rang me to ask for it yet again.
Very very annoying. I explained we'd already sent it 3 times and offered to give her any information needed right there and then by phone or e-mail, she refused. I gave her some free information:
1. Our first return will be a reclaim due to capital spends.
2. After that sales should be £200k a year or more, all at 20%, with mostly zero-rated food inputs. So a cash cow for the country.
Still she would not budge. I said I was not prepared to send the same information a fourth time.
So now we get a Letter of Refusal to issue the VAT number. I have written today to the head of the office concerned highlighting the history and suggesting he or she reconsiders this refusal for the good of the country's finances.
Where do they get their staff from? Wherver it is, can they send them back and start over again please?
- Matching of tax return to P60 66 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 81 3
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,021 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,204 53
- Related Parties Note 130 3
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 772 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 195 7
- what time is it ? 323 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 91 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 435 24
- VAT on disbursement 170 2
- tax credits 220 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,051 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 91 1
- LLP - Member leaving 203 6
- Year end 271 3
- Foreign income for self employed 177 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 319 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 335 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,165 14
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 922
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 531
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 338
- How to format a stock book 326
- Tax efficient holding company structure 261
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 251
- Investment property company accounts template 235
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 199
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 190
- Charge out rates in London? 160