VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- Unknown cash receipt 1,300 11
- CGT on Property 142 1
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 259 3
- Shareholder Loan write off 522 24
- Vat on sales invoice which includes expenses 125 3
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 723 19
- Share restructure 242 7
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 320 9
- Gross sales to purchases 198 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 184 3
- Capital allowances 138 2
- RTI Filing 1,356 21
- Loan to a participator 157 4
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 370 7
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 111 3
- £2000 Employment Allowance 168 1
- Staff entertaining or not? 358 4
- First RTI P45 213 3
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 201 2
- Non resident director pay 130 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 712
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 482
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 316
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 307
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 252
- growth voucher supplier 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 191
- VAT on Gaming Machines 187
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 161
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 161