VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 213 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 277 11
- Tax return software for remote working 423 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 425 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 761 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 382 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 427 9
- How to purchase business premises? 106 2
- Will I need to resign? 769 10
- Childcare vouchers 114 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 260 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 285 6
- VAT avoidance? 195 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 168 3
- PAYE coding out 155 3
- Follower cases 567 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 447 2
- Late Registration for VAT 444 12
- TheTax Donut 1,138 1
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 707 10
- Hive up 464
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 430
- corporate hierarchy 412
- Advice - 239
- Amortisation of Goodwill 209
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 195
- WWOOFers 189
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 170
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 170
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 166