VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- Dividend Vouchers 230 4
- Engagement letter 156 4
- Who can I refer leads to? 154 2
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 182 6
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 119 3
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 267 7
- How do you account in the VAT return for 270 4
- Abortive legal fees deductible on sale? 93 2
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 139 3
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 168 2
- Missing accountant! 1,369 6
- ACCA qualified but not enough 1,036 18
- Sage Import Data 152 3
- Australian dividend 95 1
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 484 9
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 100 3
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 574 13
- updating shareholdings on companies house 80 1
- Spanish Tax Return 204 6
- National Insurance. 256 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 420
- CTA study material 388
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 283
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 262
- Pre incorp expenses 237
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 212
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 205
- Slight twist on employment related securities 192
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 136
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 134