VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- Employment Intermediaries 50 2
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,644 30
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 402 5
- CGT on selling company shares 221 9
- do i need an online accounting software 166 4
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 151 3
- Moneysoft Payroll 668 16
- Companies House Search 366 4
- Property gift to sister 293 8
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 101 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,686 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 168 3
- Who gets the CGT deduction 295 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 659 9
- VAT training 407 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 289 7
- 31st october deadline 410 6
- RTI Late Registration query 160 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 276 2
- Payroll software 216 1
- NHS finance professionals 720
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 388
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 346
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 292
- Incorporating doctors 234
- IFA income recognition & reporting 230