VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- client can't/won't pay 594 16
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 295 1
- Split year treatment 58 4
- AIA 279 7
- Deferred Tax 44 2
- Help - Capital Allowance 299 8
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 68 2
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 768 20
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 308 8
- Window Comb Binder Cover 242 4
- Knuckle down one week to go! 208 6
- Self Ass. Return 75 1
- Depreciation 266 2
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 386 13
- What tax to pay 106 1
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 282 7
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 309 10
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 157 2
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 702 29
- Tax Penalty overeaction 653 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 802
- Copy Wanted 512
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 469
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 460
- Latest phishing scam 302
- Entrepreneurs' relief 288
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 261
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 252
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 249
- Entertaining - definition? 157