VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- Coding Notice 55 1
- Free invoicing software 80 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 290 17
- New business - journal entries 200 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 529 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 239 7
- Why should I retain membership? 2,543 43
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 152 2
- Capitalised professional fees - with no corresponding asset 399 4
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 657 17
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 331 4
- Trade name 72 1
- Resident Landlord Expenses 180 6
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 114 3
- Employee shareholder contracts 104 1
- Lettings expenses 110 2
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 359 12
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 337 11
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 305 9
- PAYE 462 12
- Auto enrolment excuses 736
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 700
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 375
- Social investment tax relief 195
- Digita Hosted Software 188
- Call Centre Data Costs 186
- option to tax 168
- VAT on deposits 161
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 150
- Travel costs and contractors 138