VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,311 21
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 845 18
- NALS Accountants Report 94 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,464 35
- Legal title not in the company name 263 10
- Dividend dates 557 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 118 3
- Sole properietor 164 4
- transitioning payroll 231 8
- dividend proposals 100 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 227 2
- Deduction from Salary 292 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 187 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,723 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 87 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 435 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 157 2
- 12 Pay Problems 249 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 254 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 88 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 623
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 175