VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 210 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 12 1
- CIS and Close Company 56 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 208 4
- Secondment expenses 138 3
- VAT Option to tax 434 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 93 4
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 131 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 78 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 86 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 125 3
- VAT Registration 317 5
- should Van be included in plant or motor vehicles? 79 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 237 6
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 113 3
- How far back can you get dates of property purchases 66 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,250 19
- husband and wife dividends 410 11
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 151 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 310 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 903
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 634
- Free Tax Legislation? 394
- Director Loan account operation 393
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 317
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 313
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 219
- Paye procedures for CVA 216
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 177