VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- client threatening legal action 1,794 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 667 8
- Partially exempt? 235 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 83 1
- First VAT Visit for client 214 4
- Dividend in specie 223 7
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 159 8
- Lorry Drivers 132 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 78 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 84 1
- Mexican student in UK 113 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 193 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 293 12
- payroll software 113 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,048 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 98 1
- Pricing 329 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 245 5
- VAT 115 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 850 18
- Skandia using wrong address 483
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 278
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 272
- Employee rewards 257
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 222
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 216
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 213
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 210
- Etax Australian 169
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 158