VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- Company formation and bank account 221 7
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 638 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,522 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 505 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 394 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 188 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 391 8
- OneNote is fantastic 477 11
- VAT Direct Debit 357 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 437 8
- Self Assessment Software 684 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 434 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,350 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 253 11
- Owning overseas property 242 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 350 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 283 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 694 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,149 21
- PPR on a development? 242 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 652
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 400
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 400
- Property letting & CAs 390
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 383
- 2015 tax year end 383
- FCA regulated company in a small group 339
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 270
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 237
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230