VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- Client Death 517 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 155 4
- Furniture Rental Business 43 1
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 338 2
- Are Bursaries Taxable 69 2
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 311 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 134 3
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 391 5
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,917 38
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 955 15
- Unallocated client money 171 5
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 338 5
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 130 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 195 6
- Expenses Apps 137 1
- Tick & Bash Bristol 540 8
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 162 7
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 137 2
- Can anyone recommend an EPOS system for a newsagents 204 2
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 158 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 598
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 472
- Sorry ignore me 369
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 275
- Cancelled 237
- Cancelled 204
- Bartercard 169
- C79 Discrepancy 163
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 155