VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- The stupidity continues 1,502 74
- looking for a practice consultant 207 3
- RE assets introduced and rent 107 2
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 98 3
- Two trades one individual - Vat registration? 328 3
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 211 4
- Withdrawing company car 125 1
- AML report needed? 199 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 265 6
- transactions after account have been closed 327 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 105 1
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 398 9
- Marketing and email surprises 463 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 772 26
- What is IRIS World like? 423 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 336 5
- Mlom bollocks 286 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 127 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 161 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 604 11
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 449
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 448
- WIP Software 310
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 296
- No payroll scheme in place 246
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 243
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 219
- Is there anything wrong with this? 214
- Small Part Disposal of Property 204
- Uncommercial property business 193