VAT on reimbursement of insurance
I have a small client who has a small car selling business. He is VAT registered. As a way to generate some revenue, he has started hiring out some his cars to people who have had their cars written off in car accidents.
As part of the service, he arranges with their insurers to transfer the insurance from their car to the hire car. Often, there is an additional premium to pay to the insurer on this (say £50). He pays this on behalf of the customer. He does this to ease the process and to speed things up.
He then hires the car out.
At the end of the hire period, the customer returns the car and is charged for the hire (whatever it may be, plus VAT). They are also charged for the additional premium which he as paid on their behalf.
My question is, is this premium subject to VAT. Paragraph 4 of HMRC:Notice 701/36 (October 2011) suggests so. BUT, my client doesn't actually sell the insurance preimum, all he does is pay it on their behalf and is reimbursed. I should note that there is no profit element and it is simply an at cost reimbursement.
Thanks in advance and I hope somebody can help me!
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 89 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,786 38
- Facebook Management 498 7
- VAT on part of a closed pub 68 4
- Tax residence 135 4
- Linux Accounting Software 349 9
- Dividend payments to spouses 110 2
- Accountant software 336 9
- Capitalising Intellectual Property 71 1
- Pension contributions limits 225 10
- Flat rate vat error 136 3
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 206 5
- VAT on nightclub vouchers 114 4
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 318 7
- Which software for practice books? 412 17
- Seed EIS company 73 2
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 147 7
- EC TAX 57 1
- Write off of former director's loan 326 7
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 90 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 671
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 494
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 460
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 280
- How to format a stock book 242
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 200
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 196
- Tax efficient holding company structure 185
- Investment property company accounts template 176
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 167