VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Off site storage 35 1
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 230 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,050 42
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 54 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 74 2
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 498 4
- Joint Property rent 134 3
- Self assesment losses 242 7
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 182 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 215 1
- Fee protection 850 16
- Overdrawn DLA 242 9
- Disposal of an opted property 129 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 235 5
- Irish Taxation 87 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,115 31
- CIS monthly declaration 192 9
- Telephone call from "Xero" 362 4
- Form 2.8b notice of intention to appoint administrator 130 3
- Companies House incorporation service 472 14
- Xtuple 560
- Qtac payroll for bureau 382
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 333
- Industrial & Provident Societies 322
- Domain name sale and limited company 222
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 203
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 202
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 173
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 159