VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- How not to compose an email 381 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 486 17
- MAAT vs ACCA 218 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,341 67
- Accountancy Career 226 2
- Estate agents - shared commission 67 1
- Managing Employee Expenses 25 1
- Tax credit deadline extended by a week 75 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,988 64
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 48 1
- Small company audit 625 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 478 20
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 563 14
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 688 19
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 244 3
- West Bromich Albion 414 3
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 118 3
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 100 2
- registering my UK Ltd in Holland 222 4
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 115 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 655
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 425
- Cancelled 413
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 355
- Probiz 322
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 305
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 232
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 209
- More spam 173