VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 648 13
- Xerocon 2016 1,070 27
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,208 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 286 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 314 7
- Personal Tax 547 11
- USA Tax Query 212 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,691 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 960 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 346 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 613 18
- Corrupt Excel File 682 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 365 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,992 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 295 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 438 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 202 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 393 4
- last minute request 550 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,263 46