VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Disclosure on Cessation Accounts 166 1
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 125 3
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 190 5
- I'm losing the will to live... 86 1
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 89 4
- Auto enrolment 1,554 15
- Annual Report - How to? 240 10
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 76 1
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 243 4
- Client's company struck off 2,012 26
- Accountants not providing all required information 95 3
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 934 8
- 15% restirction on lease cars 120 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,116 17
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 135 6
- Letter template 144 4
- Quote for client 406 9
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 291 7
- PAYE 174 3
- CGT on 'listed co return of capital via B share' 75 2
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 523
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 458
- EPS and CIS deductions 324
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 306
- Construction CIS LLP Company 297
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 285
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 240
- SAGE winforecast 221
- Overdrawn director account 206
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 201