VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 27 1
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 290 8
- Window Comb Binder Cover 227 4
- Help - Capital Allowance 269 7
- client can't/won't pay 546 14
- Knuckle down one week to go! 170 6
- Split year treatment 31 1
- Self Ass. Return 51 1
- Depreciation 251 2
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 378 13
- What tax to pay 81 1
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 271 7
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 297 10
- AIA 262 6
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 145 2
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 678 29
- Tax Penalty overeaction 639 11
- calculate mortgage interest 216 1
- Auto enrolment 1,667 27
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 192 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 802
- Copy Wanted 511
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 468
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 460
- Latest phishing scam 301
- Entrepreneurs' relief 288
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 281
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 261
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 250
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 249