VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Repayment of Share Capital 89 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 533 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 391 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 98 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 113 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 404 10
- Self employed care worker 536 12
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 233 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 213 1
- Auto enrolment 446 8
- Audacity 948 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 391 7
- Late registration for MOSS 247 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 276 5
- Client right to working papers 383 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 553 6
- Professional Clearance 1,069 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 292 5
- Illegal share transfer 464 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 183 2
- NHS finance professionals 539
- VAL231 410
- Mother and son property ownership 385
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 361
- Foreign Pension Contribution 333
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 308
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 289
- vat gross profit percentage margins 288
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 263
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 230