VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Instant CPD offer 263 4
- Cash basis 486 13
- Income from rent charged to business 72 2
- payroll software 353 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 424 5
- Statutory sick pay 286 4
- Dividend in specie 357 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 212 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 169 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 141 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 267 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 291 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 158 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 362 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,850 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 327 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 246 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 100 1
- Investor exit 194 3
- Partially exempt? 381 10
- Skandia using wrong address 565
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 302
- Employee rewards 286
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 243
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 223
- Etax Australian 184
- LLP in Construction Industry 149
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 129
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 129