VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 106 6
- Homing sandwiches 396 10
- CT600 58 2
- signature required 462 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 492 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 164 5
- Settlement discount 72 3
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 155 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 101 2
- Pratice Management Software 67 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 195 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 111 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 179 2
- Related Party Transactions 106 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 94 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 465 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 755 13
- More AE! 761 17
- Web sites 246 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 608 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,234
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 515
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 307
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 234
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 187
- TheTax Donut 178
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 157
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 156