VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,022 30
- Dress code 411 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 486 16
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 89 1
- Project being run jointly 196 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 301 4
- Companies House 595 9
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 128 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 339 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 729 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,432 25
- What would you do in this situation? 613 13
- Help Required 394 10
- directors control and tax problems 272 5
- Fastest Software 802 13
- What's in a name ? 368 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 287 4
- Bulk Invoicing 190 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 177 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 258 2
- CTA study material 712
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 434
- Employment related securities question 273
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 215
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 210
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 208
- Trust for Employee 195
- Expat pension contributions? 195
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 166