VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 367 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 160 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,113 13
- Really?! 801 10
- CIS 198 5
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,166 16
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,371 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 646 15
- VAT 701/49 query 222 2
- backpack 292 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 154 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 241 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 345 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 194 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 157 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 193 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 127 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 253 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 466 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 906 12
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 705
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 416
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 356
- Costly Accounting Software contract 312
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 255
- Directors' advances and credits 254
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 222
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203