VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 268 2
- Signed accounts for bank 43 2
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 314 10
- Payment on account reminders 195 3
- 64-8 problems 476 7
- Landing clients 185 5
- dividend date - whose income is it? 56 1
- Allocation of income from property 718 25
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 76 3
- Hello 483 4
- AIA/Capital Allowances 458 14
- Balancing charge 91 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 279 3
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 825 23
- Selling to USA, Delivery to Poland, VAT? 169 5
- Stand alone practice management software 1,810 26
- RTI and Advances to Employees 422 10
- CTA 298 3
- Anybody got through to VAT today? 106 1
- Time values in Excel 181 3