VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,695 61
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 280 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 830 20
- The importance of Grammar 902 24
- New starter - tax code 181 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 122 2
- PI cover 105 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 128 2
- HMRC site down ? 167 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 141 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 203 3
- Xero Pain Points 258 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 94 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 122 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 163 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 385 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 153 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 594 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 234 3
- Childcare 275 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 272
- Electric Car 224
- S222 Charge 203
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 196
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 174