VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 290 6
- Start up allowance? 184 8
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 214 5
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 241 10
- Share structures 99 5
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,231 37
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,070 19
- Surely not? 178 8
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 290 5
- Business rates consultancy 196 3
- AIA or IFA 304 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 128 4
- Old CGT loss 100 1
- Late Registration for VAT 304 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 569 8
- Are HMRC staff on early 494 7
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 178 2
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 197 9
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 866 13
- Reverse charge and EC sales list 113 2
- TheTax Donut 1,034
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 684
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 626
- Follower cases 491
- Limited company purchase of property 429
- Hive up 421
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 390
- corporate hierarchy 384
- LIVE chat, starting now 341
- Advice - 192