VAT return box 2 - VAT on (EU) acquisitions
Wondering if you can help set the record straight on a EU acquisition VAT query I have.
Example: Business 'A' is UK VAT registered (and UK resident) and makes acquisitions from a VAT registered EU business 'B'. The goods would be standard rated (20.0%) in the UK, however as acquisition and meeting criteria is zero rated (0.0%) by business 'B' in accordance with EU directive.
In the above example, I believe you would:
1. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 7 of the VAT return (inputs) = £100
2. Include the net value of the acquisition (zero-rated by 'B') in box 9 of the VAT return (acquisitions from EU countries) = £100
3. Include the VAT payable on the acquisitions based on the goods itself in box 2 (VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries) = £20 (as a standard rated good in the UK)
4. Include the VAT reclaimable on the acquisitions included in box 2 in box 4 of your VAT return (VAT reclaimable on inputs) = £20
Is the above treatment correct? If for arguements sake the acquisitions would have been zero-rated in the UK, would steps (3) and (4) be £0?
Can someone also explain exactly what is meant by "VAT due - but not yet paid by you - on goods that you buy from other EU countries". I'm confused by this as the VAT 'due' in netted to nil via box 2 and box 4 and 'but no yet paid by you' - if zero rated from 'B' there is nil VAT to pay (or VAT at 0.0%) - the statement makes little sense to me!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 378 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 279 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 252 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 82 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,745 65
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 272 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 902 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 197 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 130 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 193 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 404 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 339 9
- Merging my businesses 161 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,728 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 519 16
- VAT on commercial property 166 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,056 49
- deceased creditor 220 5
- Corporate member of LLP 284 1
- Investment company 277 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 783
- RTI - duplicate employee record 543
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 406
- Sage Vat return box 2 310
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 291
- Portia ... Where art thou 284
- How do you do it 280
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260