VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- Missing tax return 322 4
- r there any crustie unemployed failed accounting clerks here ? 292 3
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 119 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,043 30
- Inflation and fees 1,366 24
- Sage Priority Support 167 3
- incorrect old p60 302 5
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 183 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 822 24
- Micro-entity accounts 201 1
- Related party disclosure 200 3
- Company reconstruction 131 1
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 230 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 141 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 168 1
- Advice please! 409 2
- VAT on new builds 184 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 143 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 383 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,989 28