VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 186 7
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 883 19
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 458 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 155 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 176 7
- tagging in Iris accounts production for non standard item 117 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 97 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,858 155
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 104 1
- 'Find an accountant' 206 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 104 1
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 86 1
- Depreciation on property improvements 107 1
- Construction Industry Funding 112 5
- CGT advice on amicable divorce settlement 102 1
- How important are Journals? 330 9
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 722 15
- Company trading loss relief 271 4
- National Insurance 602 1
- Social Worker limited Co 131 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 492
- Skandia using wrong address 434
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 388
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 236
- Employee rewards 228
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 207
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 180
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 180