VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- do i pay vat when buying a business 108 5
- Professional Clearance 78 2
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 34 2
- Introduction of Goodwill 366 7
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 197 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,036 67
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 118 3
- Working out a daily rate 281 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 593 20
- are receipts needed? 330 11
- New accountant 448 8
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 587 9
- Loss Relief 135 2
- Tax case reference request 214 3
- How to? 144 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 172 1
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,415 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 511 6
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 112 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 225 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,589
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 885
- International interest certificate 494
- NOVA 349
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 273
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 255
- Management expenses for investment company 243
- Bonus Bonds 241
- Help with tax codes on Sage 186
- Capital reduction 172