VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- Where can I get the information for this 363 7
- BrightPay 361 9
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 198 3
- CGT &LLP 73 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 539 4
- Setting up an offshore company 97 1
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 185 16
- Secure document exchange 121 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 161 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 392 7
- break even point 167 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 114 3
- Fax to email providers 326 11
- Payroll software 241 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 132 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 141 4
- How to issue shares to investors 91 1
- Expense management software 631 12
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,108 84
- Tax code 151 1