VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- no utr 134 7
- Anybody still doing returns? 299 10
- LLP formed in 2013 33 1
- Tax Returns for non residents 110 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,047 47
- Capital Loss 27 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 65 2
- Clothing 453 11
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 197 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 134 7
- Practice management 424 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 106 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,666 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,693 22
- Rent a room scheme query. 226 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 305 13
- Why do I do this every year 577 13
- HMRC filing meltdown? 735 24
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 344 5
- Self assesment online 1,075 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 941
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 658
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 609
- Latest phishing scam 589
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 426
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 319
- Scratch Head 254
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 243
- Sabbatical payments 208
- Negligible Value Claim 185