VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,084 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 93 1
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 625 20
- Do I need to pay my accountant 776 10
- Audit 63 1
- carry back of gift aid 165 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 288 8
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 451 13
- Awkward IP 1,130 12
- What's in a name ? 922 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 831 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 149 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 550 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 224 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 370 6
- Potentially dodgy client 380 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 557 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 455 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 399 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 540 23
- CTA study material 782
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 424
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 264
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 199
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 151