VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- Car benefit or not? 2,493 25
- substantial shareholding exemption 137 1
- Land Registry 377 5
- Sole Trader or Ltd Company 204 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,714 24
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 469 9
- Large director's pension contribution 553 8
- Credit for price reduction - Inventory write down effect 87 1
- Company car and the new dividend tax rules 259 4
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 346 12
- Appropriate mileage allowance rate for privately leased car 95 3
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 173 5
- Company Structure 626 16
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 480 8
- Best software for small practice? 741 21
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,803 40
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 327 7
- Best Auto Enrollment Provider for clients DIY 177 6
- Cloud-based email services? 726 13
- Disclosure of client assets under IFRS 106 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 787
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 280
- DTA tie-breaker issue 274
- CGT for NOn UK residents 237
- Apprenticeship Levy 213
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 202
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 196
- Just checking re PSA 189
- Capital Gains personal representatives 186