VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 168 7
- Identify cost savings 196 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 425 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 100 2
- Capital gains tax and PPR 94 1
- Jobs after completing ACCA 122 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 584 11
- are these allowable deductions? 116 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,650 20
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 564 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 78 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 133 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 417 7
- Schedule A losses 150 1
- Member meet up 1 October in London 310 7
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 193 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 831 1
- Fees 790 8
- P11D & tax return 286 10
- Freelance/Employee 929 22
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 333
- S222 Charge 269
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 241
- AIA 215
- IP trans to holding company 209
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 204
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 170
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 157