VAT returns not done
Wow, this is new
Thought I would sit down today and do the books for a new client picked up this week as they have all arrived, two years worth he is behind but all good!
Until I find the VAT records and returns that is....
He has dilligently prepared them all (not sure if at the time or just recently when getting the records up to date) going back 2 + years BUT has never submitted a single one, instead he has been paying the HMRC assesments that have been arriving.
Problem is the assesments are far lower than what his calculations are, I make it £10k+ shortfall from my initial review.
I am not yet appointed to act for VAT and haven't applied to be as he has always done his own returns (or so I was told...) so an immediate "holding" conversation with HMRC is not possible.
Before I launch into this one, my proposal would be to approach this as follows;
- Discuss with the client WHY he has not submitted the returns, (I suspect cashflow based on his description of where he is at financially)
- Get appointed with HMRC ASAP and arrange for the returns to be submitted (will he / I be able to do all the last 10 returns in one go online?) although owing to the amount I suspect it will be a voluntary disclosure in full as cumulatively it is £10k+
- If he is OK for me to submit and disclose in full now do I need any SOCA reporting OR is that dependant upon his answer as to why he has not submitted any returns.
- Obvioulsy there will be some intererest and penalties - which will need negotiating - when this is all resolved, but I will approach that later.
- And yes - I will insist on some fees up front on this one......
Any experiences readers could pass on before I approach would be most welcome as a sense check!
- Commission on holiday accrual 54 1
- error on companies house accounts 100 4
- Newly Started Practice 166 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 153 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 179 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 184 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 75 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 89 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 343 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 223 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 166 2
- Generic Notification Notices 120 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 444 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 112 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 435 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 88 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 243 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 144 1
- fraud 416 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 240 3
- QROP pension input amounts 475
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 416
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 266
- EPS and CIS deductions 260
- Construction CIS LLP Company 246
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 213
- SAGE winforecast 179
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 172
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166