VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- Classic cars investment 210 6
- BrightPay 568 16
- VAT silly question 2,373 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,069 10
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 120 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 229 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 244 6
- Federation Accounts 354 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 534 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 276 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 132 2
- Late reply from HMRC 251 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 283 6
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,663 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,424 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,792 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 505 11
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 223 3
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 235 8
- RTI - new employee 195 3
- Benchmarking 487
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 405
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 346
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 204
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 202
- Income tax on foreign dividends 185
- Clubs and Taxable Income 184
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 180