VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- The stupidity continues 724 39
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 249 4
- transactions after account have been closed 204 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 190 5
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 537 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 232 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 136 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,341 25
- New Employers Helpline 211 4
- Software recommendations 279 1
- Share transfer question 389 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 338 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 191 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,465 19
- Overlap relief 761 19
- What is IRIS World like? 371 8
- Pension contributions 385 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 514 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 221 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 290 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 440
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 436
- WIP Software 301
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 236
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 233
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 210
- Is there anything wrong with this? 206
- Small Part Disposal of Property 191
- Uncommercial property business 183