VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- Late PAYE Registration 154 6
- Lease premium payment of £20,000 68 1
- VAT on sale of goods outside of EU - Flat Rate 103 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,449 27
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 57 3
- Auto Enrolment 555 3
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 1,868 17
- Not renewing AAT 1,339 13
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 63 1
- Dormant co. now trading 272 8
- CisVerification as an agent 275 5
- Cloud-based email services? 187 3
- Online or Paper 64-8? 101 1
- Is the CT61 return dead? 547 9
- Lease premium accounting treatment 91 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,577 20
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 573 13
- Casual Driver 510 7
- Questions from Liquidator 2,357 25
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 338 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 721
- 2015 tax year end 460
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 424
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 369
- Costly Accounting Software contract 339
- Directors' advances and credits 275
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 258
- DTA tie-breaker issue 244
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 230
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 206