VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 642 26
- Accountants' Error 243 5
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 107 2
- Accountant Error 59 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,132 17
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 59 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 302 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 104 2
- Companies House Abbreviated Accounts 391 5
- Deferral relief 60 1
- Wear and tear allowance 361 5
- HMRC Enquiry 492 3
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 212 2
- Share swap 104 1
- Cashback 335 2
- another ir35!!!! 223 2
- Settlement, or any other issues? 92 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 102 3
- Buying blocks of fees 392 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 278 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,430
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 737
- Any views 679
- HMRC Employers Diary 506
- International interest certificate 414
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 377
- Sale of business 333
- NOVA 240
- Advertising services? 231
- IRIS Open Books problem 224