VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- Newly Started Practice 141 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 150 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 176 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 169 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 55 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 83 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 339 6
- error on companies house accounts 65 2
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 216 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 161 2
- Generic Notification Notices 114 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 440 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 111 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 430 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 78 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 239 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 140 1
- fraud 412 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 236 3
- Which purchase date should I consider in the asset register 198 2
- QROP pension input amounts 474
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 437
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 413
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 263
- EPS and CIS deductions 259
- Construction CIS LLP Company 245
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 210
- SAGE winforecast 178
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 170
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 165