VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,237 24
- Moving to BTC from Sage Accounts Production 37 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 182 3
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 196 5
- Business lending another business money (UK) 325 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 84 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 302 7
- Family Partnership 295 9
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 205 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 204 6
- Business trips - director and family 427 3
- Signed accounts for bank 673 15
- flat rate scheme 2,391 50
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 334 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 209 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 109 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 875 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 220 5
- VAT Query on new build 133 1
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 129 1