VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 242 10
- Dress code 161 6
- Help Required 332 9
- directors control and tax problems 167 5
- Fastest Software 760 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 928 28
- What's in a name ? 297 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 230 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 423 15
- Bulk Invoicing 167 6
- What would you do in this situation? 541 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 148 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 242 2
- ATED Penalties 272 1
- late second payment on account 172 2
- US royalties 96 2
- Project being run jointly 137 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 183 2
- Sole trader mix up 305 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 753 6
- CTA study material 703
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 425
- Employment related securities question 268
- AIM Stocks and IHT 246
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 200
- Trust for Employee 187
- Expat pension contributions? 186
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 174
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 158
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 139