VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,603 352
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 30 2
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 38 2
- Mutual trading organisation paying tax for the first time 52 3
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,034 20
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 297 3
- VAT on Pub Kitchen Franchise 80 2
- Sportman claiming for training kit 236 7
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 484 10
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 79 2
- Complicated freehold purchase and CA 97 1
- Declined for business bank account 761 10
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 255 3
- Accountancy packages for FRS 102 106 3
- Vat on Royalites 136 2
- Accounting for share for share 118 6
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,403 6
- Penalties for non-filing of EC Sales List 90 1
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 228 5
- dreaded p11d dispensation 208 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,200
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 414
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 318
- National Insurance 314
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 263
- FRS 102 and loans from a director 252
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 241
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 230
- Franchise income and costs 212