VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,357 19
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,651 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 500 10
- Errors in prior year accounts 853 23
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,986 39
- VAT & capitalising 136 3
- Final year's accounts 163 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 320 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 307 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 315 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 258 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 150 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,983 36
- Invoice Help 257 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 193 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 262 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 246 3
- Sorry ignore me 919 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 599 5
- Free Shares ? 252 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 298
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 192
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 170
- What's the market like for temps? 168