VAT on sales of software to EU reseller - Place of supply
My UK based VAT registered client company develops and sells bespoke business software to a Republic of Ireland based reseller (also VAT registered).
The nature of the software means that it will only ever be sold onto business customers.
However, the reseller will not be using the software itself and my client may not know where the ultimate customer is based as the reseller may sell throughout the world.
Am I over complicating things and should the sale simply be to Ireland? i.e. zero rated with reverse charge to be applied by the Eire based reseller as the customer?
The reseller does provide a sales list upon which the royalties are based, should the place of supply be based on the ultimate customer on this list?
In short, is the reseller the customer or is it the ultimate customer the customer?!
Secondly, how important is it for the supplier to state "This supply is subject to the reverse charge" on the invoice? Is it not for the customer to figure out whether reverse charge applies?
Finally, can someone please confirm that the requirement to register for VAT in Ireland only applies to Distance Selling and not this particular scenario? My client will soon be over the VAT threshold (in Ireland) in selling to the reseller so wanted to double check.
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 808 17
- Rental Income Tax Planning 182 3
- Vat 51 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,786 184
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 98 2
- Partially exempt? 193 6
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 115 4
- Incorporation Relief 101 2
- First VAT Visit for client 101 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 229 11
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 570 6
- capital gains on PPR 1,428 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 301 9
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 231 14
- What type of Trust? 144 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 135 5
- OBK 598 19
- Instant CPD offer 153 2
- Dividend in specie 149 2
- Investor exit 110 2
- Skandia using wrong address 469
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 270
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 264
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 209
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 209
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 193
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 155