VAT voluntary registration, backdated, combining flat rate scheme and expensive capital assets.
I have a client who has turnover below the level triggering compulsory registration for VAT. The client only works with customers who are registered for VAT so would not lose business by voluntarily registering for VAT.
The client has recently incurred (within the last 6 months) £1,000 in VAT on two items of capital expenditure (both exceeding £2,000).
If my client decides to voluntarily register for VAT then
a) Can my client backdate a voluntary VAT registration to the date of the earliest aquisition of one of these two items of expensive capital equipment?
b) Can my client also opt for the flat rate scheme for their trade/profession to be effective from the backdated registration date?
c) Will my client be successful in reclaiming the VAT on these 2 pieces of expensive capital equipment if under the flat rate scheme?
d) Going back to the backdated regiustration date, does my client need to issue "VAT only" invoices to each customer previously invoiced without VAT?
- equipment rental 111 4
- Boffin of the Year 392 14
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 210 5
- Fixed asset registers 46 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 235 4
- Self Assessment requirements for lady from Canada 108 1
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 122 2
- Non sequitur 311 3
- Pattern for CTA 261 6
- PAYE versus Dividends 202 4
- Employee or partner 86 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 194 5
- The Cotter Case 208 2
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 202 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 955 16
- Sole Trader business 159 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 163 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 151 1
- Giving a seminar 692 36
- Tax position on lease extension 185 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,311
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 646
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 336
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 266
- Alphabet shares 224
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 157