VAT voluntary registration, backdated, combining flat rate scheme and expensive capital assets.
I have a client who has turnover below the level triggering compulsory registration for VAT. The client only works with customers who are registered for VAT so would not lose business by voluntarily registering for VAT.
The client has recently incurred (within the last 6 months) £1,000 in VAT on two items of capital expenditure (both exceeding £2,000).
If my client decides to voluntarily register for VAT then
a) Can my client backdate a voluntary VAT registration to the date of the earliest aquisition of one of these two items of expensive capital equipment?
b) Can my client also opt for the flat rate scheme for their trade/profession to be effective from the backdated registration date?
c) Will my client be successful in reclaiming the VAT on these 2 pieces of expensive capital equipment if under the flat rate scheme?
d) Going back to the backdated regiustration date, does my client need to issue "VAT only" invoices to each customer previously invoiced without VAT?
- Why should I retain membership? 2,415 40
- New business - journal entries 41 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 224 6
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 139 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 263 16
- Lettings expenses 29 1
- IFA incorporation problems 160 3
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 48 2
- Director's loan account in credit 178 1
- Excel question - how can I easily link to a row of data with gaps between the cells? 663 23
- Excel Help - Check box and hiding cells 301 3
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,365 17
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 310 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 153 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 153 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 217 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,272 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 147 2
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 413 7
- Wear and tear allowance 474 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 713
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 695
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 372
- Social investment tax relief 190
- Digita Hosted Software 184
- Call Centre Data Costs 182
- option to tax 166
- VAT on deposits 155
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 141
- Travel costs and contractors 136