VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- P800 problems again 159 2
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 204 1
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 731 16
- Servicing AE fees 213 3
- FRS 101 Software 366 1
- VAT on farm machinery sold 294 6
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 593 9
- proper link to login to HMRC online services 159 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 108 1
- When to register or not for PAYE 552 12
- Software for Accounts layout 298 5
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 260 6
- Directors Loan Account Question 488 13
- Invoicing for monthly clients 515 10
- VAT B2B EU service - curious 150 1
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,192 41
- Flat Rate VAT 267 8
- Practice software 1,209 17
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 330 7
- Redundancy pay 334 9
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 310
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 300
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 276
- French ConnectionUK 243
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 220
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 206
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 205
- APN's 189
- Job costing 162
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 142