VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 81 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 498 24
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,275 271
- Payroll provider 71 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 276 9
- How do we report and pay tax liability of company car we give to employee? 101 1
- Family loan 335 8
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 317 5
- business card address 209 5
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 180 6
- Standard 'email' template system 800 13
- Donations (to a school!) 308 10
- Circular shareholding 130 3
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 257 1
- Employment related securities question 558 2
- Shutting down a company with creditors 944 12
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 256 4
- Expenses of overseas employment 108 1
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 96 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 152 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,100
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 361
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 298
- National Insurance 267
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 237
- Payments on account coded out?? 226
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 218
- Non Resident 180
- Franchise income and costs 173
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 153