VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 29 2
- Deferred Tax 181 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,241 16
- physiotherapy clinic 570 4
- Running two businesses from the same premises 141 2
- Legal fees selling rental property 168 2
- Directors taking money out of business, how to record in sage instant accounts. 21 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 311 8
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,024 26
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,785 23
- Late Registration for VAT 176 5
- Registering a company late 244 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 283 4
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,931 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 103 2
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 103 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 424 7
- How much of your work is admin? 212 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,800 19
- Goodwill complications 164 2
- TheTax Donut 1,012
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 675
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 624
- Follower cases 489
- Limited company purchase of property 416
- Hive up 414
- corporate hierarchy 382
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 379
- LIVE chat, starting now 329
- AIA or IFA 213