VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- Scratch Head 275 1
- Year end 215 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 300 13
- A little knowledge 130 4
- Clothing 599 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 135 6
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,262 18
- Parent and subsidiary... 165 5
- Identity check problem 1,495 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 92 1
- Capital allowances on Software 222 2
- Designated sole Residence 202 4
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 99 3
- Company director and KIT days 118 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,177 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 857 34
- Digita in the cloud 65 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 234 7
- IHT and US resident 125 2
- Tax relief when working away 78 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 957
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 682
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 628
- Latest phishing scam 605
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 442
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 329
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 260
- Sabbatical payments 221
- Negligible Value Claim 200
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 196