VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- Charity work 107 6
- Managing Employee Expenses 101 5
- Company Director In Prison 183 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,051 25
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 255 3
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 722 22
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 642 21
- MAAT vs ACCA 330 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 98 5
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,528 70
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,534 55
- VAT registration? 135 1
- ec sales lists 148 1
- VAT registration to supply services in EU 135 1
- Vat Retrospective Reclaim 145 1
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 97 4
- Small company audit 745 12
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 193 2
- Estate agents - shared commission 125 3
- VAT point on Consignment stock 69 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 662
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 470
- Cancelled 418
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 356
- Probiz 327
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 309
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 240
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 182