VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 175 5
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 159 3
- Where has Portia gone? 1,661 63
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 89 1
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 203 6
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 187 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 255 4
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 386 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 326 9
- Merging my businesses 127 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,719 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 515 16
- VAT on commercial property 141 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,037 49
- deceased creditor 203 5
- Corporate member of LLP 278 1
- Investment company 271 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 344 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 220 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 374 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 781
- RTI - duplicate employee record 535
- Pensions Regulator 444
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 404
- Sage Vat return box 2 307
- Sanzar 305
- Digital marketing focus group 288
- How do you do it 278
- Portia ... Where art thou 258
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 253