VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- What would you do in this situation? 462 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 113 3
- Help Required 259 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 212 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 378 14
- What's in a name ? 207 4
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 132 3
- ATED Penalties 251 1
- late second payment on account 143 2
- US royalties 66 2
- Project being run jointly 115 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 168 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 149 3
- Sole trader mix up 280 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 726 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 884 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 205 4
- Filing company accounts 131 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 498 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 156 5
- CTA study material 695
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 421
- Employment related securities question 263
- AIM Stocks and IHT 242
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 194
- Trust for Employee 180
- Expat pension contributions? 177
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 150
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 138
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 113