VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 647 5
- See you all on the other side 696 6
- 12Pay 464 2
- dividends 617 2
- R&D 324 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,185 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 440 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 420 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 374 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 546 5
- Seeking a tax case 645 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 505 4
- Companies house strike off 557 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 434 2
- Moving to the cloud 748 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 216 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 905 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 214 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,092 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 507 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 563
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 328
- USA help 318
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 298
- Marginal rates of tax 295
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 293
- Class 2 NI 283