VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- Accountants' Error 682 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 139 3
- Scoot 170 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 145 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 190 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 658 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,444 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 101 1
- Regaining my qualification 188 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 232 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 215 2
- Auto enrolment 186 3
- Shareholder agreement 168 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 194 3
- Company Reorganisation 159 3
- Employee Loan 201 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 461 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 588 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 141 1
- Wear and tear allowance 461 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,449
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 760
- Any views 694
- HMRC Employers Diary 521
- International interest certificate 423
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 387
- Sale of business 352
- NOVA 258
- Advertising services? 251
- IRIS Open Books problem 241