VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- VAT on part of a closed pub 184 11
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 242 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 174 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 166 5
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 253 6
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 87 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 167 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 303 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 202 6
- SME Direct Debit 676 11
- Accountant software 442 13
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,033 23
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 196 3
- Accounting jobs in the UK 166 2
- CIS gross status review 122 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 133 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 378 6
- Flat rate vat error 250 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 108 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 381 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 760
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 485
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 301
- How to format a stock book 266
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 215
- Tax efficient holding company structure 206
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 174
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165