VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- Member meet up 1 October in London 326 8
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 178 7
- Identify cost savings 205 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 434 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 111 2
- Capital gains tax and PPR 97 1
- Jobs after completing ACCA 134 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 590 11
- are these allowable deductions? 129 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,659 20
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 570 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 85 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 137 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 418 7
- Schedule A losses 152 1
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 200 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 834 1
- Fees 796 8
- P11D & tax return 289 10
- Freelance/Employee 931 22
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 333
- S222 Charge 269
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 241
- AIA 216
- IP trans to holding company 210
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 205
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 171
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 162