VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 163 5
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 67 1
- FPS Submission 51 2
- VT accounts licence key 155 4
- PTP software disaster 137 1
- Wrong career 320 13
- Value pricing 619 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 188 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 86 1
- vat return 198 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 144 3
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 53 1
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,940 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 142 3
- Director's tax return 114 2
- reporting salary? 237 5
- Other forums 188 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 361 17
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 155 1
- Career Advice 158 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 780
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 532
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 399
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 285
- Free Tax Legislation? 232
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 228
- Director Loan account operation 221
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 213
- Paye procedures for CVA 153