VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 462 13
- Revenue phishing examples 326 2
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 270 4
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 387 1
- Company Structure 398 11
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 199 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,577 33
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 308 8
- Advertising Tips? 371 8
- Transferring rental property to limited company 532 15
- will this work for IHT 122 1
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 572 9
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 126 3
- Time recording 225 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 264 4
- Land Registry 277 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 985 13
- Auto Enrolment 688 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 816 19
- Company Number 10000000 458 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 740
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 437
- Costly Accounting Software contract 374
- Directors' advances and credits 290
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 261
- DTA tie-breaker issue 253
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 236
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 213
- CGT for NOn UK residents 196
- Apprenticeship Levy 186