VAT when customer imposes their own early payment discount
I have a client who makes supplies to a large company.
The customer has recently written to my client to say that they have changed their terms and conditions and will deduct an early payment discount varying from 5 - 3% of the net invoice amount dependent upon when they make payment. This is a customer imposed early payment discount, not one which my client has offered. They have no choice but to suffer this discount or cease trading with the customer.
E.g. For an invoice showing a net invoice amount of £1000 and VAT £200 the customer deducts 5% of the net amount, i.e. £50, and therefore pays £950 plus the full VAT amount of £200 = £1,150.
If my client had offered this discount in the first place the VAT paid would have been calculated on the discounted amount and disclosed correctly on the invoice.
However, in the above instance how is the discount treated for VAT purposes?
My client does not know what discount will be applied, as it is dependent upon when the customer decides to pay the invoice, so the invoice cannot show the VAT on the discounted element.
Therefore is the VAT £200, despite this then being a rate in excess of 20%, and my client suffers the full cost of the fact that the customer has applied its own discount whilst HMRC doesn't lose out. Or can you treat the discount as an underpayment (or bad debt) and so calculate the VAT to be paid to HMRC as 1/6 of the total payment made, i.e. net value £958.33 and VAT £191.67.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
- What would be a tax efficient way of selling the main business asset but keeping some to continue with business? 193 7
- Unpaid Share Capital and Companies House Template 39 2
- Dividend Waiver 216 4
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 291 4
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 271 6
- Automatic Bank Data Feeds -- worth the cost ? 668 8
- Capital allowances - Jersey 68 3
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 168 6
- Dutch Company With UK Employees 122 3
- What is IRIS World like? 232 7
- Nomisma feedback? 206 1
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 416 2
- Is business bank account compulsory for all businesses? 260 3
- Pension contributions 115 4
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 365 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 186 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 557 10
- VAT On Camper Van Enhancements 81 1
- Share transfer question 68 1
- Sage Bank rec 153 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 404
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 386
- Perkbox 339
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 279
- Document Management Systems 277
- WIP Software 264
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 199
- No payroll scheme in place 192
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 178
- Benefit in Kind? 176