Wear & Tear vs Replacement relief after April 2013 - change?
It's been the case that landlords letting furnished property could claim either the 10% wear and tear allowance, or the replacement relief, which I know is a concession by HMRC. I'm also aware that:
"Whatever basis is chosen must be followed consistently. It isn’t possible to chop and change between the wear and tear allowance and the renewals allowance from year to year."
Fine. Always stuck to that, however Nichola Ross Martin recently wrote an article saying that HMRC are withdrawing the replacement relief from April 2013. That being the case, a taxpayer previously using this method MUST now "chop and change".
That being the case, can we do it now in 2012 if we know the other method is effectively defunct?
- Xerocon 2016 1,024 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,193 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 244 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 270 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 606 12
- Personal Tax 510 11
- USA Tax Query 184 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,663 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 946 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 306 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 604 18
- Corrupt Excel File 675 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 356 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,982 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 419 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 184 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 354 4
- last minute request 528 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,257 46