Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- Concurrent users 751 10
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 179 4
- change director details just before striking-off 85 1
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 78 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 186 3
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 211 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 86 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 78 1
- Bank account frozen 141 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 871 26
- Writing Website Content 668 23
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 117 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 174 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 248 2
- Badges of trade 353 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 280 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 141 2
- AIA 351 5
- Seeking advice: Charging VAT on commission on my commission! 295 8
- CT600 X ERROR in relation to Tangible Assets 217 9
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 451
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 420
- Electric Car 355
- S222 Charge 283
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 263
- IP trans to holding company 219
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 200
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 194
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 164
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 161