Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- My friend may have unknowingly participated in a tax avoidance scheme... 820 7
- Chargeable Gains - CT600 29 1
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 352 9
- VAT underpayment 114 5
- notarising & legalising documents 40 1
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 184 3
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 218 4
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 148 3
- Company Van 307 8
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 952 19
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 389 10
- Connected person and properties 181 4
- Business only use of company car 1,611 35
- cash basis 141 1
- Restoring a Ltd company which had been struck off 326 8
- question 299 2
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 731 13
- Overlap profits 425 14
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 836 11
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,353 12
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 390
- Any thoughts on Capium? 358
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 279
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 242
- French ConnectionUK 192
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 183
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 177
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 175
- APN's 163