Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- Commission on holiday accrual 56 1
- error on companies house accounts 101 4
- Newly Started Practice 169 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 154 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 180 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 185 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 77 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 90 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 344 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 224 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 167 2
- Generic Notification Notices 121 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 445 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 113 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 435 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 88 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 243 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 144 1
- fraud 416 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 240 3
- QROP pension input amounts 475
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 416
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 266
- EPS and CIS deductions 260
- Construction CIS LLP Company 246
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 213
- SAGE winforecast 179
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 172
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166