Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 17 1
- The process of issuing dividend? 42 2
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 169 5
- Travelling costs claimable? 28 1
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 467 9
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,224 20
- Non-resident employer & employee 73 3
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 149 2
- Write off of former director's loan 904 13
- PPR query 128 1
- Fixed asset registers 258 9
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 544 8
- Tech Champion of the Year 163 4
- R185 (Estates) in final year of administration 55 1
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 1,108 7
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 115 2
- Vat on digital download of music 112 3
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,655 34
- equipment rental 171 8
- Accomodation BIK? 177 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,345
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 430
- Alphabet shares 233
- Agent fees to sell business 224
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 218
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 165
- Charge out rates in London 162
- which entity 147
- confusion about 139
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 139