Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 109 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 166 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 167 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 817 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 531 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 690 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 300 16
- Personal pension 435 9
- Business rates consultancy 264 4
- Wrong tax code 173 6
- Benefit in Kind 253 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 87 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 284 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,058 31
- Deferred Tax 473 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 207 1
- You know its over 491 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 246 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 143 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 237 3
- Hive up 512
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 294
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 238
- WWOOFers 232
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 194
- The booking.com con 172
- UK State pension paid in NZ 164