Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- practice planning 24 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,084 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 161 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 148 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,631 10
- Which address 1,056 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 582 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 97 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,495 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,212 44
- R&D tax claim 255 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 534 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 194 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 139 2
- Gift to employee 380 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 179 1
- Transfer of a business 129 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,152 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 420 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 122 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 484
- CTA study material 459
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 337
- Pre incorp expenses 319
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 260
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 212
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 164
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 137
- Employment related securities question 126