Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- client threatening legal action 1,786 27
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 663 8
- Partially exempt? 234 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 81 1
- First VAT Visit for client 210 4
- Dividend in specie 222 7
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 154 8
- Lorry Drivers 130 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 69 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 80 1
- Mexican student in UK 113 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 193 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 290 12
- payroll software 106 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,047 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 93 1
- Pricing 329 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 245 5
- VAT 115 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 849 18
- Skandia using wrong address 483
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 278
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 272
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 222
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 213
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 208
- Etax Australian 169
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 158