Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 247 7
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 534 9
- Transferring rental property to limited company 465 14
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 86 3
- Time recording 132 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 257 4
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 127 2
- Land Registry 269 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 966 13
- Auto Enrolment 670 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 805 19
- Company Number 10000000 390 4
- Advertising Tips? 315 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,517 29
- IR35 368 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 424 12
- Revenue phishing examples 253 1
- iris update 11.9.2 221 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 452 13
- 2015 tax year end 546 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 733
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 435
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 374
- Costly Accounting Software contract 368
- Directors' advances and credits 286
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 251
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 235
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 210
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195