Weird one. Finance Company & VAT
Client purchases a machine from Belgium circa £40k (paid in Euros).
No vat on invoice - correct.
Client aproaches Finance Company (major bank) and they provided a VAT invoice for £40k + £7k vat @ 17.5%
There is a summary showing Total due £47000
less deposit £17000
Total finance £30000
Client receives £30000 from finance company and is repaying in accordance with the agreement.
I have just spoken to the finance company because I could not understand the £17k "deposit".
The answer was that the deal was in the nature of a "letter of intent" and the deposit would have been paid to the overseas supplier.
When I asked how they could invoice my client for equipment they did not own they said "we have an invoice from client for £30k"
Next question was "is there vat on the invoice?" to which the answer was "no just £30k"
So am I missing something here?
On the face of it the finance company have lent £30k to be repaid with interest.
They have purchased a piece of equipment for £30k and sold it for £40k and have (presumably paid over £7k in VAT. But how on earth do their books balance?
My client has not recorded anything other than the original purchase and the £30k finance in and repayments out. So net his figures are right.
However surely he needs to raise a vat invoice for the sale to the finance company (but in what amount?) and put through the purchase and claim the £7k back.
Sorry it's so long.
Finally assuming the paperwork is correct what is the correct way to deal with the sale/purchase?
Do you have a sale of the asset purchased with loss or profit on disposal and a subsequent purchase at another figure? Or is it correct just to deal with the vat and introduce the finance?
- any implications of this type of transaction 28 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,675 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 93 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 270 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,026 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 259 7
- Sage data 100 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 420 9
- Limited company buying a car 357 6
- Funding Circle experience 144 3
- Excel query 110 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,288 13
- Payment on account penalties 120 3
- Tax on free shares 135 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 205 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 124 1
- Audit 488 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 125 3
- Buying a horse?? 428 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 194 2
- CTA study material 804
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 494
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 460
- Employment related securities question 321
- AIM Stocks and IHT 309
- Expat pension contributions? 281
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 279
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 231
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 160