What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Corporation Tax Software 393 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 83 1
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 46 1
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,011 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 665 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 85 1
- Auto enrolment 126 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 133 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 95 4
- Regular Director bonus 446 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 147 1
- Registration as self-employed 129 1
- BrightPay 1,091 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 533 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 349 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,109 17
- BIK for an electric car 165 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,630 90
- How do I save face? 2,369 14
- Goodie bag 3,104 72
- Possible Partnership? 689
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 534
- Fuming! 513
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 334
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 275
- Moving away from CCH software 265
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 255
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 207