What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Xerocon 2016 1,011 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,188 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 218 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 228 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 585 12
- Personal Tax 483 11
- USA Tax Query 157 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,659 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 944 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 277 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 597 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 348 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 403 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 167 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 320 4
- last minute request 507 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,253 46