What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 100 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 412 12
- What would you do in this situation? 103 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 121 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 599 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 623 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 75 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 339 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 240 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 216 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 380 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,389 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 300 5
- NOVA 549 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 270 10
- Regional Development Grant 116 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,389 21
- Company car without a salary 227 2
- Charity donations 1,079 21
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 149 2
- Bonus Bonds 390
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 377
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 288
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 256
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 186
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 171
- Finance Lease 155
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 129