What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,185 48
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 165 7
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 124 4
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 178 3
- Moneysoft - technical query 227 5
- Manufacturing A/c - Acc. depn 34 2
- VAT REGISTATIONS 136 3
- New Company Director PAYE Question 808 22
- Class 4 Losses 145 3
- Taking drawings in a partnership 61 1
- Issue shares to shareholders 54 3
- Education - Pre made assembly! 109 1
- Remove Extinguished Charge 118 1
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 374 1
- Disclosure requirements for a subsidiary of an associated company 113 3
- Let Property Campaign 208 4
- Cloud Accounting 303 5
- How long should one give Aweb … 765 11
- Non Resident Landlord Tax 71 1
- accountant in Bristol 523 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 282
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 254
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 253
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 243
- Electric Car 197
- S222 Charge 186
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 177
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 176
- Freelance Accounting link 162