What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- deleting customers on Sage 50 141 7
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 692 8
- VAT on garage rent 309 14
- Value-shifting 38 1
- Pattern for CTA 194 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 269 14
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 431 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 67 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 174 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 217 5
- EBT 170 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 154 8
- Giving a seminar 511 28
- Joint Filing Help 96 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 188 4
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,203 32
- Interest on Loan to a Company 248 2
- Writing off bad debts 179 4
- Added years superannuation 50 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 99 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,200
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 600
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 404
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 191
- Agent fees to sell business 186
- Alphabet shares 184
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 176
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 159
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 158