What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Assets requested back from supplier ? 285 4
- What is your favourite font? 371 11
- Opening Balances with very little info... 67 1
- CGT on Let Property 351 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 296 4
- Strike off 216 7
- Franchise affiliations 103 1
- Company investment 154 4
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 88 1
- Gift to son by parents 340 3
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,200 35
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 154 4
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 459 7
- New CASC rules 150 2
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 275 2
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 148 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 252 6
- valuation of vehicles 532 20
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 132 1
- RTI Mess 611 10
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 339
- Any thoughts on Capium? 291
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 269
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 240
- auto enrolment 217
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 198
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 191
- How to account for investment in JV? 175
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 167