What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Double tax relief -UK tax paid in error 43 2
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 17 1
- Partnership Share Ratio Quandary 432 12
- do i need an online accounting software 488 6
- Multi user accounting software 23 1
- Bank account security - Kashflow 219 3
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 446 12
- ACCA student with study package 349 8
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 852 11
- Unhappy client over fees 1,170 25
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 389 3
- Flat rate VAT and Work in progress 283 5
- Incorporating doctors 394 1
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 1,424 13
- HMRC Online services Issue 326 10
- VAT exempt question.. 227 4
- Financing goodwill 201 3
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 633 13
- Eligibility to FRS VAT 183 2
- ltd company 267 3
- NHS finance professionals 784
- Foreign Pension Contribution 469
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 456
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 400
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 365
- IFA income recognition & reporting 276
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 255
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 254
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 206
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 200