What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 301 9
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 120 3
- P35 and Service Company questions 38 1
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 167 5
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 126 5
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 95 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,568 12
- Companies House incorporation service 267 11
- Share Capital 61 2
- Trading income or not? 130 1
- Charge HMRC 359 3
- FRS17 query 223 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,746 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,580 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 556 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 273 2
- How to opt out? 405 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 95 1
- utr 180 4
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 321 7
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 370
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 281
- CIS schemes 215
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 176