What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Where has Portia gone? 2,107 68
- recompense capital input 91 3
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 612 17
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 55 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 171 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 165 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 202 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 964 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 147 3
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 378 9
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 232 5
- Merging my businesses 213 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 573 19
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 468 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 357 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 331 1
- Holiday entitlement 588 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 326 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 170 1
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 241 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 792
- RTI - duplicate employee record 559
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Portia ... Where art thou 318
- Sanzar 313
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- How do you do it 297
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 179