What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- VAT avoidance? 143 4
- Childcare vouchers 52 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 180 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 131 3
- PAYE coding out 120 3
- Follower cases 557 2
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 278 5
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 294 3
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 703 23
- LIVE chat, starting now 438 2
- Late Registration for VAT 430 12
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 387 5
- TheTax Donut 1,125 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 312 6
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 695 10
- How to explain this to someone 383 2
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 80 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 704 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 314 4
- Old CGT loss 357 10
- Hive up 458
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 423
- corporate hierarchy 410
- Advice - 233
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 206
- Amortisation of Goodwill 200
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 191
- WWOOFers 185
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 168
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 166