What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 154 5
- Accountants' Error 699 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 149 3
- Scoot 184 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 153 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 205 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 661 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,454 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 111 1
- Regaining my qualification 205 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 235 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 237 2
- Auto enrolment 195 3
- Shareholder agreement 174 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 197 3
- Company Reorganisation 166 3
- Employee Loan 210 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 466 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 597 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 152 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,453
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 767
- Any views 699
- HMRC Employers Diary 523
- International interest certificate 426
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 390
- Sale of business 356
- NOVA 261
- Advertising services? 257
- IRIS Open Books problem 250