What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Client Paperwork Retention? 516 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 545 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 283 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 305 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 365 9
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 263 1
- Very large share capital by mistake 215 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 413 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,977 45
- Love is in the air 332 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,701 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 241 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 406 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 248 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 522 1
- Paying Son 661 18
- HMRC accounting 393 3
- Employers NI allowance 464 6
- Dividend taxation 394 3
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 189 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 278
- CGT for NOn UK residents 276
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 269
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 189