What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 324 13
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 118 1
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 37 3
- Tolley UK sales number 183 6
- VAT registration - which address? 27 1
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 60 2
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 220 4
- On line Remote Training 229 7
- Are agent account managers any good? 87 1
- Clients 588 11
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 70 1
- Starting new accounting business 152 2
- Group Relief 64 1
- Sage 200 vatable journal? 96 4
- Transfer of stock 245 12
- Can a Directors Pension be paid into a Ltd Company 138 1
- New client procedure 288 4
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 239 2
- Enterprise relief 108 2
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 181 4
- QROP pension input amounts 488
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 466
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 435
- EPS and CIS deductions 288
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 280
- Construction CIS LLP Company 272
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 233
- SAGE winforecast 195
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 177
- Overdrawn director account 164