What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Petty cash 32 1
- HMRC SA302s 64 2
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,819 92
- Interest Relief 63 1
- What does the "K" signify 61 2
- Amend tax return? 100 2
- Self Assessment and P11D 190 5
- Adding shop sales to sage 38 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 271 9
- self assessment repayment requesto 554 11
- Capital Gains Relief 191 7
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 119 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 996 42
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 678 26
- Tax on devidend in my company who is employee in other company 115 3
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 221 4
- Investment from Friend 210 10
- Receipt bank 362 8
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 71 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 504 10
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 882
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 585
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 546
- Latest phishing scam 481
- Entrepreneurs' relief 429
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 353
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 327
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 252
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 251
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 175