What are the chances - what shall I say?
Client has not submitted tax returns for years paying on estimated demands only. Earnt about £45K each year for past 4 years. I did accounts for one year only and submitted the 2011 return.
Problem is that he has not worked since April 2011 and will not be working again as he has cancer and he wont live long.
He wants to bring tax up to date I think not for any 'moral' reasons but he has an insurance policy that will only pay out on his death if his tax is up to date. Catch 22 = in overdraft therefore cant pay the £10K or so tax bill but until he pays the policy wont pay on death. No bank will lend him the money obviously.
Rang HMRC and they said to write a letter telling above and promised a reply turnround in 3 weeks.
Question... do you think HMRC will ask for the past returns to be completed?
And will they want the money ?
Will the money have to come from his estate (which is now only 1/2 of his house)?
I've not said anything to him about paying the tax as yet - but will HMRC want to put a charge on his house/get wife to sell etc etc?
Client has only received tax bill for the 2011 year.
Any suggestions as to what I should put in the letter?
- Cash basis 678 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 383 19
- Non resident capital gains 44 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 377 12
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,887 28
- s455 Directors loan 83 1
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 329 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 507 6
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 130 2
- payroll software 482 9
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 298 8
- Fee base v staff ratio 553 7
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 283 13
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 92 1
- Complicated Company car purchase 283 3
- Statutory sick pay 390 5
- client threatening legal action 2,211 30
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 170 2
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 234 1
- Instant CPD offer 342 3
- Skandia using wrong address 592
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 323
- Employee rewards 300
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 266
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 236
- Etax Australian 197
- LLP in Construction Industry 159
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 140
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 137
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 125