What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 660 14
- Tax position re this lease? 287 4
- Managing Employee Expenses 151 6
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 26 1
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,647 60
- inheritance tax 544 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 135 5
- HMRC Agents Line 32 1
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 37 1
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 180 10
- pension paid by company? 255 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 591 21
- Charity work 160 8
- SA Agent's Priority Line 118 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 770 24
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 248 3
- Company Director In Prison 304 7
- MAAT vs ACCA 390 7
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,102 28
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 142 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 668
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 487
- Cancelled 419
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 359
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 320
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 241
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 192