What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- Irish Taxation 118 3
- Self assessment tax arrears 495 6
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 110 2
- Error on SA Tax Return 53 1
- Drector renting room to company 50 1
- Off site storage 126 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 568 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 225 7
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,118 44
- Industrial & Provident Societies 343 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 214 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 311 4
- Self assesment losses 301 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 162 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 163 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 110 2
- Joint Property rent 165 3
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 264 1
- Fee protection 896 16
- Overdrawn DLA 284 9
- Xtuple 562
- Qtac payroll for bureau 384
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 338
- Domain name sale and limited company 227
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 209
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 206
- Investment 203
- Tax on damages received 177
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 172
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 142