What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 250 4
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 136 3
- What do you all do in your spare time? 480 23
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 258 5
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 137 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 52 2
- Purchased Goodwill 37 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 63 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 153 4
- Recruitment agencies 568 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 504 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 190 4
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 257 9
- HMRC RANT!!!! 427 8
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,359 19
- Scams are not always obvious 1,989 33
- Design your ideal tax department 955 21
- Does HMRC penalties apply if directors file 145 2
- VTS or VT Software ???? 114 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 258 10
- New Fangled Penalties 1,071
- Moving away from CCH software 924
- QROP pension input amounts 422
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 369
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 332
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 307
- fraud 257
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 233
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 205
- Construction CIS LLP Company 188