What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 563 18
- Where has Portia gone? 2,570 73
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 237 8
- Depreciation of Revalued Building 13 1
- Practice management software 1,001 17
- Spousal transfer and PPR 734 32
- Portia ... Where art thou 390 1
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 86 1
- Taxation of serviced offices 198 3
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 768 16
- Write off loan between companies 597 24
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 169 2
- Industry Reports 49 1
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 109 1
- recompense capital input 232 12
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,175 22
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 308 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 111 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 246 2
- CT losses carry back 140 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 804
- RTI - duplicate employee record 569
- Pensions Regulator 458
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 416
- Sanzar 318
- How do you do it 308
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 278
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 174