What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 170 6
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 217 14
- Residency test 186 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 146 3
- Wear and tear allowance 422 9
- VAT Turnover 52 1
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 79 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 108 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 302 5
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 113 4
- Company purchase of shares 267 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 109 2
- VAT QUESTION 146 2
- Holding on to fees paid monthly for work not yet done? 1,104 14
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,226 15
- Why should I retain membership? 2,255 35
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 488 14
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 675 10
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 106 1
- HMRC Underpayment notices. Are they related to Employers Allowance 166 1
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 685
- Auto enrolment excuses 625
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 363
- Social investment tax relief 176
- Call Centre Data Costs 175
- Digita Hosted Software 171
- option to tax 156
- VAT on deposits 140
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 135
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 131