What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- minority interest discount 135 3
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 327 10
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 303 5
- Software Sales 70 1
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 252 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 327 8
- vat gross margins 120 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,566 13
- A rant - Debt Management units vs PAYE office response times 146 1
- Seeking advice: Need some help with Company Accounts 542 8
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 183 4
- On to a loser here? 1,138 4
- Client right to working papers 1,349 9
- 2020 Annual Conference 140 1
- Microsoft One Drive 442 14
- Thinning income 380 4
- Bank Statement Scanning Software? 164 2
- Work to Rented Business Premises 211 1
- Not a question but made my day 1,194 23
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 400 11
- NHS finance professionals 599
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 391
- Foreign Pension Contribution 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 336
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 328
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 308
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 275
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 244
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 236
- IFA income recognition & reporting 201