What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- Sole Trader to Ltd 98 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 424 13
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 613 8
- VT accounts licence key 366 6
- Starting up in practice - safety net 419 9
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 490 10
- Opening balances Sage 50 47 1
- Flat rate vat 328 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 236 6
- Rental property company 182 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 177 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,476 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,207 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 412 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 320 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 290 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 411 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 240 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 220 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 170 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 576
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 449
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 302
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 270
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184