What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 98 3
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 44 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 213 6
- Share swap 390 13
- Late P45 179 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 498 13
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 162 3
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 420 13
- CIC accounts submission 78 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 583 20
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 428 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 263 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,497 44
- What does it mean?? 471 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,099 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 237 4
- VAT & Landlords 216 6
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 110 2
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 171 5
- Tax advice person/business 258 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,563
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 247
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 236
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 204
- Check my logic on this please? 191