What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- AML report needed? 132 4
- Bank request To verify Accounts 166 4
- transactions after account have been closed 302 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 52 1
- The stupidity continues 1,314 67
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 141 2
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 384 9
- Marketing and email surprises 444 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 761 26
- What is IRIS World like? 407 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 316 5
- Mlom bollocks 233 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 99 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 584 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 302 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 277 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 164 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,374 25
- New Employers Helpline 232 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 444
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 442
- WIP Software 306
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 293
- No payroll scheme in place 240
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 235
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 215
- Is there anything wrong with this? 210
- Small Part Disposal of Property 196
- Uncommercial property business 186