What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 29 1
- Naming new company 79 4
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 194 13
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 761 33
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 181 1
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 143 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,018 404
- Saying goodbye 98 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 274 4
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 578 22
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 233 4
- Expenses prior to Startup date for startup 133 4
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 366 4
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 713 6
- Tax on private fuel for own car 158 4
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,639 9
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 234 11
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 189 3
- Drop box Storage 101 1
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 310 8
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,265
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 350
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 281
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 257
- Franchise income and costs 234
- Hands on experience of Digita 188
- Employer's Helpline 142
- employment capital allowances 133