What are the risks?
I met a new potential client yesterday who has a one man band limited company. The current accountant does everything, according to the potential client.
He had no accounts, no company documents, no cert of incorporation, no register, no articles, etc, even though his home is the registered office, and he assumes they are all with the accountant. He had never heard of dividend vouchers or Directors Loan account. He doesn't know whether he gets Directors remuneration. He just gets a call from the accountant saying he needs to spend some money!!!!!!
This is so different to our way of doing things so I explained that if he liked the current accountants way of doing things then he wouldn't be very happy with us, but he is keen to find an accountant more local to his home.
I haven't quoted yet because I haven't enough information, but I do wonder if I am wasting my time and the clients money, by insisting everything is done correctly. I meet clients like this quite often and the lack of proper records, documentation, etc. never seems to cause a problem, and some clients think we are being pedantic by insisting on them, so is it worth bothering about for the really small companies?
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 152 3
- Accountant software 417 11
- Accounting jobs in the UK 145 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 231 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 204 4
- CIS gross status review 93 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 126 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 358 6
- Flat rate vat error 246 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 138 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 147 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 90 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 149 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 364 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 625 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 271 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 611 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 205 4
- Charge out rates in London? 217 2
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 187 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 756
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 485
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 299
- How to format a stock book 266
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 213
- Tax efficient holding company structure 203
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 196
- Investment property company accounts template 191
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 173
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 162