What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 753 10
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 141 2
- FRS17 query 191 2
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 876 6
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 188 4
- Charge HMRC 133 2
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 466 17
- CT return error message 270 7
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 1,979 25
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 348 8
- VAT 160 2
- Group subcontracting - accounts not consolidated 80 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 178 2
- Capital repayments 175 3
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 271 6
- Online payroll software 272 4
- Audit rules 317 7
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 603 10
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 295 1
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 275 1
- Xtuple 537
- Qtac payroll for bureau 367
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 307
- Industrial & Provident Societies 304
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 256
- CIS schemes 198
- Domain name sale and limited company 195
- Investment 178
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 169
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 163