What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Running Sage on a Mac 162 3
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 625 28
- Directors Current Account and dividends 266 19
- Do I need to file a tax return whilst working abroad? 47 1
- Company accounts for £350 159 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 706 28
- Property pages or self-employed? 247 4
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,441 15
- wife as partner 58 2
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 386 7
- Identity Checks 192 6
- Allowable expenses on retal property 301 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 497 9
- Business only use of company car 1,683 36
- question 497 5
- CGT usage of ER lifetime limit 341 12
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 424 1
- Software for Accounts layout 116 1
- Mandatory Capitalisation 171 2
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,369 94
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 291
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 267
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 263
- French ConnectionUK 207
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 198
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 189
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 188
- APN's 177
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 161
- FRS 101 Software 143