What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 183 5
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 738 15
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 166 8
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 226 6
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,877 26
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 255 8
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 462 13
- Your fondest calculator memories 870 32
- Capital or revenue expense? 179 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 258 11
- Vat threshold issues 356 9
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 169 4
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 334 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 832 12
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 729 15
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 870 18
- Who can I refer leads to? 506 11
- Quickbooks Online stock 38 1
- Growing pains 455 8
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 443 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 459
- CTA study material 435
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 307
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 292
- Pre incorp expenses 286
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 249
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 237
- Slight twist on employment related securities 215
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 200
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 187