What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 50 2
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 105 2
- Payment of tax due on 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return 41 1
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 275 22
- Hobby Horse 804 8
- Non resident income. 458 20
- What sectors to target? 617 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 267 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 193 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,949 41
- Self assesment online 1,003 11
- Why do I do this every year 427 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 308 5
- closing limited company 195 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 115 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 536 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 260 9
- IHT and US resident 78 1
- Limited Companies Merger 216 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 146 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 936
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 653
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 605
- Latest phishing scam 581
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 420
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 316
- Scratch Head 243
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 239
- Sabbatical payments 201
- Negligible Value Claim 179