What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 971 11
- tax credits 74 5
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 118 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 472 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 152 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 549 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 246 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 91 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 172 3
- Foreign income for self employed 109 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 607 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 56 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 484 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 223 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 217 7
- Musician deductible expenses 99 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 103 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 283 8
- Flat rate vat error 346 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 852
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 297
- Tax efficient holding company structure 237
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 221
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 183
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 154