What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,150 341
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 821 17
- Umbrella Company 129 2
- Vat treatment of charity business income 42 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 419 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 74 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 137 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 420 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 152 3
- property rental income split 252 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 466 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 118 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 91 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,265 5
- Use of home for storage 323 6
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 324 10
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,238 21
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 350 4
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 216 6
- Commercial property rental on disincorporation 85 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,185
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 403
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 313
- National Insurance 307
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 260
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 233
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 232
- Non Resident 218
- Franchise income and costs 201
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 145