What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Employers NI allowance 287 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 596 7
- Paying Son 350 14
- Which time limits apply? 366 4
- HMRC Discovery powers 172 2
- Client Paperwork Retention? 348 10
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 134 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 278 3
- Just checking re PSA 239 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 320 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,474 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,517 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 331 2
- Friday Question 578 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 429 8
- Independent Examination work programme 157 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 548 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 307 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 225 7
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 332 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 492
- DTA tie-breaker issue 293
- CGT for NOn UK residents 263
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 254
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 246
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 231
- Apprenticeship Levy 228
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 220
- Capital Gains personal representatives 207
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 191