What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Deleted question? 719 19
- Accounts Question 82 4
- What are options for non CA firm 3,161 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,927 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 690 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,385 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,914 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 641 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 429 4
- VAT Return Errors 165 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 114 5
- inflation rate year on year 140 3
- Yorkshire Day 593 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 179 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 178 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 378 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 144 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 290 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 236 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 150 1
- Cancelled 468
- Cancelled 385
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 375
- Probiz 356
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 260
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 235
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 229
- More spam 183
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 161
- Employee Benefit Trust 151