What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 110 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 453 13
- Coding Notice 217 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 230 6
- New business - journal entries 389 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 218 3
- Payroll software 636 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 251 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 388 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 723 18
- B2B vat in the EU 181 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 137 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 195 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 224 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 188 4
- LLP as member of LLP 132 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,823 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 500 7
- Vat 301 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,300 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 850
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 717
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 402
- Social investment tax relief 217
- Digita Hosted Software 211
- Call Centre Data Costs 198
- accounting for this transaction 182
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 170
- Travel costs and contractors 165
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 160