What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Do we have to honour her notice? 499 5
- Stand alone practice management software 1,249 21
- SSAS Pension scheme 78 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 75 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 242 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 554 13
- Do I need to see receipts ? 741 11
- ICPA 491 8
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 289 3
- Physiotherapy 62 1
- Changing shareholding ratio 125 3
- Community Interest Company 65 1
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 118 1
- SA1 forms 365 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 144 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 135 1
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 154 5
- VAT on services to EC customer 177 3
- Delayed option to tax 189 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 871 23
- Sainsbury's mangement 825
- Avanti Accounts 674
- Have I done the right thing? 652
- Calling franchise accountants 633
- Continuity Agreement 627
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 326
- Advice please! 232
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 216