What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Dutch Company With UK Employees 30 1
- Subject to tax and NIC? 155 5
- Spreadsheets - electronically owned data?? 193 4
- Just for fun. 985 33
- Spam blocking 690 36
- HMRC don't make it easy! 251 4
- Intercompany advice 206 3
- Does the AR01 reflect the actual money invested in a company 211 9
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 293 9
- Recouping VAT on third-party purchases 135 2
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 304 13
- Is interest still due? 231 4
- Theatre Tax Relief 540 2
- Ex-gratia payments 364 7
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 213 5
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 232 4
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 123 1
- Has auto-enrolment tipped the scales? 299 3
- Excel Instances 147 2
- How to pay national insurance 587 17
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 391
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 390
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 355
- Perkbox 322
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 321
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 279
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 274
- Document Management Systems 260
- WIP Software 245
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 187