What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,649 38
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 275 6
- Tax implication on superannuation 176 3
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,541 25
- GRNI - Normal Balance 50 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 194 3
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 215 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 808 13
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 77 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,293 24
- VAT - Check on clients business 906 37
- Second Limited Company 107 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 488 10
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 288 8
- Probate services 367 7
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 485 20
- trading losses allowable? 756 14
- Post AAT? 681 3
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 134 1
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 194 2