What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Where can I get the information for this 349 7
- BrightPay 353 9
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 186 3
- CGT &LLP 53 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 529 4
- Setting up an offshore company 59 1
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 174 16
- Secure document exchange 103 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 152 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 383 7
- break even point 145 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 108 3
- Fax to email providers 321 11
- Payroll software 221 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 119 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 136 4
- How to issue shares to investors 69 1
- Expense management software 625 12
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,100 84
- Tax code 133 1