What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Outsourcing Payroll 69 1
- sage 96 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 151 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,045 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 202 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 113 1
- FBI2 197 3
- Double entry 161 4
- Companies House 135 3
- Small house in garden 142 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 133 2
- Clients 917 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 285 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 142 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 270 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 310 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 128 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 517 11
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 169 3
- SAGE winforecast 251 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 537
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 467
- EPS and CIS deductions 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 300
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 262
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199