What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 209 7
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 281 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 193 6
- Non-compete agreement 179 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 196 1
- Any views 737 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 94 1
- IRIS Practice Management 144 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 106 2
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 276 8
- Pre- trading Expenses 91 1
- Was I rude 781 19
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 174 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 307 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 256 1
- Top slicing relief question 234 2
- Valuation of PET on death 121 2
- Share swap 293 8
- Online filing 174 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 334 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,483
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 817
- International interest certificate 446
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 421
- Sale of business 395
- NOVA 289
- IRIS Open Books problem 285
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 203
- Bonus Bonds 175
- Management expenses for investment company 172