What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Highlighting a line on cell click 6 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,929 64
- Companies House Authentication code 115 5
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 386 5
- Free accounts system for small business? 323 6
- Payroll Software Recommendations 283 9
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 472 11
- Client refusing to change basis period 88 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 641 15
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 306 13
- Rights of Alphabet shares 340 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 250 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 122 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 289 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 399 4
- Domain name sale and limited company 276 1
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 286 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,829 14
- indexation factors 117 3
- Drector renting room to company 250 5
- Xtuple 585
- Qtac payroll for bureau 410
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 355
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 226
- Tax on damages received 207
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 164
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 155
- PTP Software 145
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141