What can I do if accountant filed an incorrect SA?
A friend has used the same accountant for years because he claims to understand the holiday letting business. She know how much her total (low) income was and how much her outgoings were, and did not expect a tax bill. She was shocked when told it would be £3000 and queried this with his assistant who said she knew about her return and could answer, but she obviously did not know anything. When the accountant looked at it, he found a couple of things and blamed it on 'SA overload!' but it still does not answer the question. He had to file to meet the deadline, and she is now faced with a demand for £1200. He also said she MUST pay £1600 on account, yet I know that is optional.
She doesn't have the cash because she didn't think she needed it. His advice has been disastrous for her, yet he is demanding his fee. She hopes he has filed a provisional return, but I doubt it.
What can she do in these circumstances to query, and if required, vary her SA return? Can she query his bill?
I have recommended she changes accountant at the very least.
- Could i ask for a bit of help please. 140 6
- Filling in my self assessment 631 14
- Should small companies be audited? 960 41
- Mileage claim restriction 348 3
- Self Assessment employed and self employed 81 1
- You know you're an accountant when... 1,378 41
- Overlap profit 563 15
- What does PITA mean? 362 9
- career 338 2
- Help required please 436 10
- Skype treating businesses as private consumers; no VAT invoices 451 1
- Help - ACCA uk practicing certification forms 210 3
- Vat to be Paid? 187 3
- CGT base cost 298 11
- A little bit of politics 423 5
- Ultimate Controlling Party Disclosure Questions 236 5
- RSU and double taxation 148 1
- Can i really not unreconcile a vat return in sage? 163 1
- Assets transferred at cost 209 5
- currency exchange rates across FY 104 1
- Sanzar 451
- Digital marketing focus group 374
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 333
- Continuity Agreement 288
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 270
- Buyback 262
- Sainsbury's mangement 257
- Avanti Accounts 240
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 198
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 171