What client and marketing newsletter format works - paper or email?
I'm interested in hearing what newsletters people find work for their accountancy business please?
This is our experience:
We are a smallish firm (four staff) and up until two years ago we used to subscribe to Mercia quarterly paper newsletters (and put a PDF copy on the website). We'd send these to all our clients and also send them to prospects.
We knew that at least a few clients liked them, but suspected that the majority just didn't read them. Costs were going up with postage, time enveloping them etc, so about two years ago we moved to a monthly email subscription service. We didn't like that service particularly so last year we started producing our own email newsletters on an approximate six week cycle.
We've taken lots of advice on what should work best, and the consensus is to keep it very short and sweet, maximum of three snappy articles. So we work on this basis, snappy headlines, well written and the newsletter taking less than a minute to read, and if interested there are links to more details on the articles.
What we are finding is that 75% of recipients don't even open the email, never mind read the contents! However they don't unsubscribe, possibly because they don't get down to the that part of the newsletter. As far as we can tell they don't confine the email to spam, it just sits in the inbox unread.
This set us thinking about what we do, and we come to the conclusion that people are pretty bombarded with emails and electronic newsletters. I open all my email newsletters but won't read beyond the first line of most newsletters. Some I get fed up with and hit the unsubscribe button.
SO what do you find works best?
Should we go back to paper newsletters, change the email newsletter format, or give up on newsletters all together in favour of something different?
Thanks for any advice.
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 112 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 468 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 149 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 549 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 246 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 91 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 172 3
- Foreign income for self employed 108 1
- tax credits 68 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 607 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 53 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 484 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 223 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 217 7
- Musician deductible expenses 98 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 103 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 283 8
- Flat rate vat error 346 7
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 549 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 852
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 510
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 297
- Tax efficient holding company structure 237
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 221
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 183
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 154