What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Repayment of Share Capital 86 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 529 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 391 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 98 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 112 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 404 10
- Self employed care worker 533 12
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 225 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 211 1
- Auto enrolment 446 8
- Audacity 948 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 391 7
- Late registration for MOSS 247 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 275 5
- Client right to working papers 382 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 552 6
- Professional Clearance 1,068 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 290 5
- Illegal share transfer 464 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 183 2
- NHS finance professionals 538
- VAL231 408
- Mother and son property ownership 383
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 360
- Foreign Pension Contribution 333
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 307
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 288
- vat gross profit percentage margins 287
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 259
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 227