What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,180 23
- P11D Car Value 155 2
- Can anybody recommend any software 173 2
- Stand alone practice management software 2,052 26
- Family Partnership 132 2
- 2011 Self Assessment Tax return form 56 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 341 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 98 3
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 724 11
- flat rate scheme 2,228 41
- HMRC Postal Delays 378 10
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,378 14
- Legal advisor recommendation please 276 5
- Closure of PAYE scheme 195 2
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 195 2
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 193 3
- Termination Payment 514 15
- Company Share Buy Back 351 8
- Business lending another business money (UK) 256 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 302 5