What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Free accounts system for small business? 368 7
- VAT on converting Commercial property to residential 56 3
- It gets worse ! 342 2
- PCTR for Audit Qualification 86 1
- Building premises bought on 99 year lease 76 1
- Client refusing to change basis period 183 6
- Companies House Authentication code 204 9
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,980 66
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 175 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 461 8
- Payroll Software Recommendations 310 10
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 343 15
- saturday staff 409 4
- Sports Club - Option to tax 53 1
- Highlighting a line on cell click 63 4
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,449 42
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 525 12
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 648 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 351 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 266 3
- Xtuple 587
- Qtac payroll for bureau 412
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 357
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 230
- Tax on damages received 211
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 174
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 166
- PTP Software 158
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141
- Software for Belgium Company 140