What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 647 4
- Bulk Invoicing 124 4
- late second payment on account 65 1
- Help Required 102 2
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 127 6
- How much did you pay for your website 1,341 22
- Is a dormant CT600 needed? 133 2
- Accountancy work for Farmers 434 15
- What would you do in this situation? 324 9
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 814 25
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 544 6
- Project being run jointly 66 1
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 271 12
- Company Name - Number of Characters 224 6
- Lloyds bank ... 328 5
- Sole trader mix up 203 2
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 123 4
- Correct treatment when one company absorbs another 127 4
- Recharging VAT 171 6
- Rent a room when not living there 948 7
- CTA study material 683
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 412
- Employment related securities question 258
- AIM Stocks and IHT 237
- ATED Penalties 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 189
- Trust for Employee 174
- Expat pension contributions? 169
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 136
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 122