What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 69 3
- Who owns SAGE Data? 361 7
- change of paye software 497 13
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 235 5
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 157 2
- Which software for practice books? 456 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 217 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 522 2
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 411 13
- share capital calculation 231 14
- Dispensation pointless ? 171 3
- Renting property to yourself 448 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,955 51
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 174 4
- Pension contributions limits 258 11
- pre letting expenses 126 1
- Ltd Company 151 4
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 171 6
- Is there a time limit on VAT claims on DIY barn conversions? 66 1
- Dividend payments to spouses 285 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 723
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 471
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 286
- How to format a stock book 250
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 202
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 184
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 177
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 160