What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,979 28
- is my company accounts right? 737 20
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 382 9
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 236 3
- CGT 10 1
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 364 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 68 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,494 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,548 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 105 1
- P11D Dispensation 86 1
- I have missing sales invoices 372 5
- Invoice Help 372 10
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 263 8
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 368 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,004 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,059 26
- Directors Subsistence 226 1
- (CIMA) - Qualified to Management Level (2006) 268 4
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 431 16
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 555
- Cancelled 320
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 318
- Cancelled 268
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 219
- Probiz 212
- What's the market like for temps? 200
- CIS Deductions 170
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 160