What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 160 12
- s455 tax 26 2
- partnership tax return 11 1
- LLp Profits 53 3
- Anyone else still working this week? 79 3
- Am I getting Soft?? 484 12
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 241 5
- AIA 87 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 178 3
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,477 44
- Taxation of the sale Record rights 83 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 349 18
- Cocaine anyone? 803 13
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 349 7
- Benefit in Kind 408 9
- How much does the company pay 266 5
- Lack of VAT Receipt 233 4
- Personal pension 500 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 658 22
- FAO BTC tech geek type people 174 2
- Hive up 527
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 487
- corporate hierarchy 460
- Advice - 309
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 255
- WWOOFers 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 229
- The booking.com con 215
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 205
- Cocaine anyone? 195