What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 147 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 476 7
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 559 18
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 111 5
- Corrupt Excel File 659 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 322 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,947 43
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,160 39
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 272 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 357 7
- Personal Tax 391 10
- Xerocon 2016 924 18
- Disengagement Help! 1,606 24
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 107 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 205 4
- last minute request 434 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,233 46
- Practical experience 891 16
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 267 2
- Mortgage Reference 299 2