What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- VAT - Medical Staff 160 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,113 13
- Really?! 800 10
- CIS 195 5
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,165 16
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,371 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 646 15
- VAT 701/49 query 220 2
- backpack 291 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 152 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 239 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 344 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 194 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 360 5
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 156 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 193 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 124 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 252 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 465 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 905 12
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 705
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 415
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 355
- Costly Accounting Software contract 311
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 254
- Directors' advances and credits 253
- DTA tie-breaker issue 238
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 221
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 202