What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 175 4
- SA302 299 7
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 259 4
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 278 13
- Bringing money to Uk 255 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 266 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 194 4
- Go Cardless 340 9
- Hmrc software 232 3
- Mehjoo 274 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 124 1
- Hosted email exchange 176 5
- South African Government Pension 182 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 300 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 311 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 247 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 152 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 291 7
- New Email Extensions 211 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 326 2
- Xtuple 512
- Qtac payroll for bureau 351
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 295
- Industrial & Provident Societies 286
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 187
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 185
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 169
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 147