What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Accountex flash mob 534 18
- The new married allowance 127 3
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 150 2
- Any good members voluntary liquidators 48 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 680 10
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 854 20
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,728 32
- VAT by Direct Debit 113 8
- Er... 333 2
- Cash extraction pre-sale 205 5
- VAT claim on exempt supply 310 11
- Group structure - transfer of shares 127 5
- Child benefit 354 9
- £3750 earned in Dubai - where on the income tax return??? 150 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 317 10
- IR 35 228 5
- Share disposal - help please 112 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 348 11
- Final accounts - procedure 353 6
- NIC question 127 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 658
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 410
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 343
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 312
- Using the correct forms 303
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 297
- Sage Vat return box 2 207
- Digital marketing focus group 202