What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- HMRC filing meltdown? 588 16
- Self assesment online 1,029 12
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 251 11
- client can't/won't pay 1,970 42
- Tax Credit Office opening hours 124 1
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 117 4
- Payment of tax due on 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return 118 2
- Non resident income. 476 21
- Why do I do this every year 469 10
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 294 22
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 189 3
- Hobby Horse 817 8
- What sectors to target? 623 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 283 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 198 3
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 313 5
- closing limited company 207 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 137 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 264 9
- IHT and US resident 82 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 938
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 655
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 605
- Latest phishing scam 583
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 421
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 316
- Scratch Head 248
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 240
- Sabbatical payments 201
- Negligible Value Claim 181