What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- charities 189 3
- Tax - Paying Yearly 39 2
- Anyone using PracticePA? 204 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 385 4
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 258 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 62 1
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 159 2
- New company uses old Bank Account 200 2
- converting garage to use as office 250 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 641 13
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 116 1
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 115 2
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 322 7
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,162 11
- Strike off 423 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 135 2
- auto enrolment 277 1
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 318 6
- Private use of vans 159 1
- My friend may have unknowingly participated in a tax avoidance scheme... 702 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 373
- Any thoughts on Capium? 324
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 291
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 267
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 252
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 226
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 176
- French ConnectionUK 161
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 158
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 158