What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 351 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 120 1
- Accountant Specialization. 269 3
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 286 5
- . 215 2
- Freelance/Employee 659 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 199 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 170 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 172 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 460 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 106 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 597 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 688 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 137 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 197 2
- Is it just me ... 305 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 302 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 125 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 354 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 226 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 289
- S222 Charge 237
- IP trans to holding company 189
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 187
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 172
- AIA 167
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 165