What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 89 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 386 17
- Accounting Package for Projects 32 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,344 19
- Scams are not always obvious 1,939 33
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 194 4
- Design your ideal tax department 937 21
- Does HMRC penalties apply if directors file 107 2
- VTS or VT Software ???? 95 1
- HMRC RANT!!!! 355 7
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 252 10
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 106 2
- Over the VAT threshold 105 2
- Accountants website 250 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 231 3
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 240 8
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 474 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 125 1
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 111 5
- Online Downtime 311 3
- New Fangled Penalties 1,067
- Moving away from CCH software 923
- Recruitment agencies 547
- QROP pension input amounts 422
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 369
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 330
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 307
- fraud 254
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 233
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 205