What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- What does it mean?? 331 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 284 13
- VAT on motor expenses 887 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 80 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 60 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,705 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,299 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 91 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 137 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 160 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 189 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 154 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 741 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 386 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 204 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 329 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 112 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 391 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 93 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 327 15
- Skandia using wrong address 1,547
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 470
- NOVA 328
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 230
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 219
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Management expenses for investment company 207
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 201
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 190