What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Basic PAYE Tools update .... lost all my previous FPSs 92 3
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 484 9
- Bartercard 215 2
- One off meeting new client 259 4
- first year company tax return for a limited company 485 25
- Is this a scam? 107 3
- Deaf clients 132 3
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 845 14
- Furniture Rental Business 197 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 77 3
- C79 Discrepancy 197 1
- illegal dividends 212 2
- Work experience - pay 247 2
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 166 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 1,803 18
- Goodwill 157 5
- Dividend received from voluntary arrangement 153 1
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 127 2
- SAGE V12 143 3
- Consolidation and Comparatives 69 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 611
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 510
- Sorry ignore me 415
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 372
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 287
- Cancelled 270
- Cancelled 230
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 170
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 161
- Probiz 150