What is the disposal date for a company strike-off?
One of my clients emigrated to Australia last year and dissolved his company under Section 1003 of the Companies Act. We obtained ESC C16 and delayed the DS01 until February so the company would not be dissolved until after 5th April. As he is now non-resident, that should avoid capital gains tax (not sure whether it does in Australia though - originally it was meant to be Singapore which has no CGT). I am aware of the 5 year rule and the need to file a protective claim for ER.
But when is the disposal date? Is it a) when the company is dissolved as confirmed by Companies House, b) when ESC C16 was granted, or c) when he took all the money out of the company? I'd have thought a) as that was when the underlying asset (the shares) ceased to exist. ESC C16 turned it into a capital gain but presumably does not trigger the gain immediately.
However, I guess the extraction of the funds could be seen as a final distribution, and that was last year. We treated it as a loan until ESC C16 was granted but not thereafter. In that case it would depend on the book entries, and as there were no statutory accounts for the final period, there is nothing to reflect this apart from a board minute which merely grants authority for the funds to be distributed at some point.
I'm just about to do his tax return so I suppose I'd better check this out first.
- Weely paid employees 294 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 37 2
- Total cost of employment 209 2
- Help car benefit 163 5
- Business travel apps 34 1
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 139 3
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 151 5
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 48 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,300 11
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 67 1
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 114 2
- LLP members share of profits 449 26
- VAT Option to tax 292 3
- SDLT implications on an informal lease 99 2
- Current tax asset 204 3
- Partnership tax rules 97 2
- Accountancy software for an imac 228 5
- Audit Required 1,074 21
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 374 1
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 452 15
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 887
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 623
- Free Tax Legislation? 377
- Director Loan account operation 372
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 322
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 294
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 275
- Paye procedures for CVA 208
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 192