What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 100 2
- Coding Notice 135 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 417 7
- Vat 267 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,266 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 335 7
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 118 2
- Why should I retain membership? 2,692 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 178 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 141 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,480 18
- CT/CIS offset 133 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 185 4
- Trade name 186 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 135 1
- New business - journal entries 315 20
- B2B vat in the EU 121 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 316 18
- VAT on deposits 209 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 140 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 806
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 710
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 390
- Social investment tax relief 208
- Digita Hosted Software 202
- Call Centre Data Costs 193
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 162
- Travel costs and contractors 152
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 147
- Certificates of tax deposit 139