What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Client's company struck off 369 9
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 74 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 86 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 618 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 141 3
- Investment property? 34 2
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 71 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,470 23
- Sole Trader Cessation 120 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 318 6
- Does AE staging date cease with transfer of business? 70 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 114 4
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 392 9
- Overtime etc for PT employees 80 1
- First Choice Final Accounts 229 1
- Complex VAT Group 319 6
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 86 3
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 320 1
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,270 107
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 245 2
- QROP pension input amounts 468
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 406
- fraud 328
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 257
- EPS and CIS deductions 240
- Construction CIS LLP Company 240
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 193
- SAGE winforecast 166
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 164