What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 703 10
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 458 10
- Real time 186 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 370 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 245 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 206 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 199 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 599 15
- When to top-up pensions? 156 2
- Support / ticketing software 325 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 323 3
- Imported goods and VAT 130 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 434 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 589 11
- Stamp Duty 170 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,862 22
- Company Number 10000000 991 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 366 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 228 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 477 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 798
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 469
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 287
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 242
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 218
- Apprenticeship Levy 216
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 209
- Just checking re PSA 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 189