What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 22 1
- SA302 235 4
- Hosted email exchange 159 5
- South African Government Pension 170 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 144 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 227 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 283 13
- Prefer to start accepting Online Card Payments 148 1
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 227 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 135 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 267 7
- New Email Extensions 162 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 288 2
- Dental practice incorpration 141 1
- Audit rules 169 4
- Go Cardless 294 8
- business entertaining deductibility 162 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 204 2
- R & D 113 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 97 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 338
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 287
- Industrial & Provident Societies 279
- Mehjoo 224
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 223
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- CIS schemes 156
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 152
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 143