What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Share premium or Directors Loan 749 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 373 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,428 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 171 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 447 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 120 3
- What would you do in this situation? 182 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 142 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 617 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 647 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 98 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 347 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 403 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 278 10
- Regional Development Grant 128 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,450 21
- Company car without a salary 245 2
- Bonus Bonds 392
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 383
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 295
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 183
- Finance Lease 158
- Company Car Lease 157
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132