What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Redundancy pay for directors? 129 4
- Problem partnership fees 113 1
- Small company audit 186 7
- Car financed by employee 94 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 91 1
- Undisclosed income 159 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 293 8
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,745 46
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 240 4
- Private Investment Company 136 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 113 1
- New company - form a group? 198 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 798 17
- CIC Company 431 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,704 57
- Is this a scam? 819 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 160 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 368 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 265 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 198 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 605
- Cancelled 350
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 288
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 260
- Probiz 247
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 201
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 188
- Car leasing scheme 184
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 177