What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Introduction of Goodwill 163 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 143 4
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 256 10
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 136 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 723 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 375 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 187 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 309 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 89 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 375 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 86 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 311 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 382 9
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 125 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 89 1
- VAT Registration 451 19
- Tax Credit Overpayment 271 9
- Property Expenses - Allowable 141 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 122 2
- Tax advice person/business 148 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,536
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 845
- International interest certificate 464
- NOVA 322
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 219
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 213
- Bonus Bonds 203
- Management expenses for investment company 199
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 188
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 175