What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- client threatening legal action 1,904 29
- Incorporation Relief 157 3
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 18 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,961 187
- Can I claim mileage? 255 6
- limited company for IR35 143 1
- Ir35 test 114 2
- Money laundering POCA 289 5
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 143 7
- payroll software 244 2
- Mexican student in UK 173 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 207 2
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 73 2
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 274 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 175 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 147 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 883 19
- Dividend in specie 282 8
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 123 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 199 9
- Skandia using wrong address 502
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 281
- Employee rewards 264
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 235
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 227
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 226
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 127