What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Rounding errors on CT600 75 3
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,278 48
- BrightPay quirks 147 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 65 1
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 780 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,157 31
- Website Content 58 1
- Mortgage Reference 464 5
- Personal Tax 609 12
- New Build 137 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 106 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 139 1
- USA Tax Query 274 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 422 5
- last minute request 628 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 328 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 361 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,720 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 983 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 398 2