What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 166 3
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 982 49
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 80 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 28 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,370 422
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 289 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 59 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 276 1
- References for clients 90 1
- corp tax software 285 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 178 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 149 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 555 24
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 342 16
- Is this fraud? 557 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 93 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 280 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 106 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 162 4
- Naming new company 327 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,290
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 458
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 161
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 144
- CIS paid under reg 9 133