What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Sage Priority Support 90 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 682 18
- incorrect old p60 112 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 478 4
- VAT on new builds 113 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 346 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 122 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 113 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 132 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,837 26
- Missing tax return 170 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 919 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 276 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 162 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 557 18
- Physiotherapy 244 3
- Inflation and fees 1,217 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 165 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 283 8
- CGT help please 149 1