What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 233 15
- Limited company purchase of property 479 2
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 241 6
- Goodwill complications 277 6
- Tax relief for VAT assessment 24 1
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 140 1
- How much of your work is admin? 701 9
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 219 4
- Will I need to resign? 435 7
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 112 1
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 318 5
- Trade creditor journal 117 2
- Nominal Ledger 482 12
- The declaration on the VAT return is wrong ??? 188 1
- Old CGT loss 242 4
- Bulk submissions to Companies House 484 2
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 994 14
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 410 9
- HMRC Distraint 158 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 173 2