What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 173 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 407 11
- CGT 246 4
- Vat registration exception 67 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 418 10
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 67 1
- CGT 425 18
- Charity Grant accounting 88 3
- Property income in different capacities 203 4
- Entrepreneurs Relief 838 46
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 223 5
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 396 8
- how to object to registered company name... 211 1
- Recharge for private use of a company car 488 14
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 409 5
- VAT QUESTION 319 3
- More AE! 697 15
- Money Soft payroll 562 11
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 226 2
- Change of payroll software 431 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,198
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 804
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 497
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 293
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 230
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 170
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 148
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 139
- TheTax Donut 132