What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 131 2
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 135 3
- Capital Gain? 515 14
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 231 5
- Sell business after leaving country 140 2
- How much to charge? 253 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 182 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 639 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 245 2
- break even point 596 18
- Simple consolidation question 129 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 394 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,002 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 407 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 208 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 296 5
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 185 4
- IHT Query 254 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 448 2
- BrightPay 701 22
- Possible Partnership? 468
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 444
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 431
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 235
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 230
- Clubs and Taxable Income 222
- New Fangled Penalties 221
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 216
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 188
- Loans to other companies 169