What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- What would be a tax efficient way of selling the main business asset but keeping some to continue with business? 192 7
- Unpaid Share Capital and Companies House Template 39 2
- Dividend Waiver 214 4
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 291 4
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 271 6
- Automatic Bank Data Feeds -- worth the cost ? 668 8
- Capital allowances - Jersey 68 3
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 168 6
- Dutch Company With UK Employees 122 3
- What is IRIS World like? 232 7
- Nomisma feedback? 206 1
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 416 2
- Is business bank account compulsory for all businesses? 260 3
- Pension contributions 115 4
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 365 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 186 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 557 10
- VAT On Camper Van Enhancements 80 1
- Share transfer question 68 1
- Sage Bank rec 153 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 404
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 386
- Perkbox 339
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 279
- Document Management Systems 277
- WIP Software 264
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 199
- No payroll scheme in place 192
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 178
- Benefit in Kind? 176