What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Disclosure requirements for Directors Loan Accounts in Credit 508 20
- Tax relief on accommodation costs 24 1
- Director or self-employed 278 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,365 25
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 589 17
- Anybody still doing returns? 1,005 37
- BVI registered 190 4
- Closing a limited company 392 6
- Self assessment for directors 186 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 279 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,616 17
- A little knowledge 420 6
- Digita in the cloud 181 2
- Tax relief when working away 96 1
- Tax relief when working away 211 3
- Designated sole Residence 259 5
- Scratch Head 360 1
- Year end 278 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 335 13
- Clothing 650 19
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 970
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 691
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 634
- Latest phishing scam 616
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 459
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 338
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 270
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 240
- Sabbatical payments 232
- Negligible Value Claim 215