What do you do?
I seem to have had a glut of new clients all on the VAT Flat rate scheme. Although these are very profitable businesses they don't want to pay any extra fees, so have self-registered, and have prepared their own VAT returns. I explained the basics of Flat Rate VAT, the discount, and the need to keep copies of the VAT submission and the working papers so we could verify the VAT.
Accounts are now coming in for preparation, and as you may already have guessed, no copy returns, no workings, and further discussion revealed that VAT was calculated on net sales, and even the wrong % used in a couple of cases!!!!!
I provided one with a spreadsheet template but then ended up answering loads of email queries about preparing VAT returns but they wouldn't come in (or pay) for 'proper training'.
What do you do with clients that want to 'DIY' but don't listen to you, and won't pay for training or spend time finding out how to do it properly?
I know I can get rid of the clients, or put up their fees, but I would like to stop this happening altogether, rather than just deal with it after the event.
Any ideas, or recommendations, would be appreciated.
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 93 5
- Unhappy client over fees 604 14
- Staff commissions 36 1
- What VAT rate 37 1
- ACCA student with study package 64 1
- Company Van - Classic vehicle 217 4
- IHT nil band transfer 339 8
- Share capital netted off against lossess 270 6
- Student Loan Repayments 110 1
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 563 12
- how do I find out if a building has VAT Option to Tax in place? 311 7
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 944 11
- Two sole traders working at same shop 277 2
- IR35 mechanics 123 1
- CGT - contract conditional? 205 3
- Eligibility to FRS VAT 138 1
- Foreign Dividends: UK tax credit 195 3
- NI PAYE working out from net amount 443 18
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 322 5
- Auto Enrolment Through Nest 445 5
- NHS finance professionals 770
- Foreign Pension Contribution 456
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 449
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 389
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 353
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 339
- Incorporating doctors 324
- IFA income recognition & reporting 273
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 249
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 235