What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
Colin Timpson said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 205 13
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 524 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 100 7
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 440 9
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 271 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 96 2
- Limited company buying a car 107 3
- ACCA practice certificates 479 5
- Limited company buying director's car 274 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 60 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 67 1
- WC's and capital allowances 169 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 292 13
- Dress code 1,534 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 473 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 248 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 367 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 466 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 166 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 100 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 475
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 393
- Employment related securities question 307
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 256
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 168
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 146