What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
Colin Timpson said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- Anybody still doing returns? 699 30
- Clothing 505 13
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 98 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 153 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 62 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 340 16
- Designated sole Residence 129 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 711 15
- Anyone know what this is? 220 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 885 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 493 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 259 9
- no utr 277 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,114 49
- Director drawings 601 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 290 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 86 1
- Capital Loss 123 3
- LLP formed in 2013 97 1
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 192 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 950
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 672
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 621
- Latest phishing scam 597
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 434
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 323
- Scratch Head 260
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 253
- Sabbatical payments 213
- Negligible Value Claim 194