What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
Colin Timpson said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- 27,000 Really? 1,140 38
- What are options for non CA firm 2,824 60
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 142 3
- Legal title not in the company name 785 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 332 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 303 8
- Opening Balances 197 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 580 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 97 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 83 1
- This is getting boring 614 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 255 7
- pension paid by company? 113 3
- inheritance tax 418 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 349 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 227 4
- State pension 302 3
- Accountancy Career 141 1
- CIC Company 657 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,823 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 640
- Cancelled 395
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 335
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 308
- Probiz 303
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 279
- How not to compose an email 266
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 223