What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
The unemployed controller said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 41 1
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 398 16
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 23 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 20 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 463 15
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 126 5
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 728 11
- Sports Sponsorship 70 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 206 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 202 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 142 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,280 14
- Best software for small practice? 574 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,247 21
- HMRC Enquiry 456 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 180 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 283 4
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,446 16
- Long/Short Period of Account 182 3
- Another HMRC Cock Up 777 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 763
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 452
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 222
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 190
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181