What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
Colin Timpson said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 184 2
- Mehjoo 308 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 57 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 326 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 183 4
- SA302 315 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 284 13
- Bringing money to Uk 277 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 281 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 205 4
- Go Cardless 351 9
- Hmrc software 242 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 145 1
- Hosted email exchange 182 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 315 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 315 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 250 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 157 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 301 7
- Xtuple 514
- Qtac payroll for bureau 354
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 297
- Industrial & Provident Societies 290
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 229
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 198
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 196
- Domain name sale and limited company 174
- CIS schemes 174
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 149