What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
Colin Timpson said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 96 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 408 8
- Tolley UK sales number 195 7
- Starting new accounting business 182 3
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 428 10
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 98 2
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 336 14
- Are agent account managers any good? 118 2
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 139 1
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 60 3
- VAT registration - which address? 53 1
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 77 2
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 224 4
- On line Remote Training 238 7
- Clients 594 11
- Group Relief 76 1
- Sage 200 vatable journal? 102 4
- Transfer of stock 250 12
- Can a Directors Pension be paid into a Ltd Company 152 1
- New client procedure 305 4
- QROP pension input amounts 490
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 469
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 436
- EPS and CIS deductions 291
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 282
- Construction CIS LLP Company 273
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 236
- SAGE winforecast 196
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 179
- Overdrawn director account 171