What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
Colin Timpson said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- Matching of tax return to P60 91 3
- VAT chargeable or not? 14 1
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 201 8
- find-accountants.com 90 1
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 97 4
- Related Parties Note 147 4
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,029 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,214 53
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 774 22
- what time is it ? 329 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 91 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 435 24
- VAT on disbursement 170 2
- tax credits 222 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,054 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 91 1
- LLP - Member leaving 203 6
- Year end 272 3
- Foreign income for self employed 177 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 320 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 922
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 532
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 340
- How to format a stock book 326
- Tax efficient holding company structure 261
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 252
- Investment property company accounts template 235
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 199
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 192
- Charge out rates in London? 160