What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
Colin Timpson said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,461 31
- Is this fraud? 289 5
- Saying goodbye 410 13
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 818 36
- Tax on private fuel for own car 191 5
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 349 16
- Sportman claiming for training kit 991 11
- Flat rate scheme 167 3
- Drop box Storage 192 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 271 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,188 413
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 618 4
- Furnished lettings criteria 125 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 414 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 131 2
- Pension Contributions Relief 364 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 116 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 204 2
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 306 1
- Naming new company 206 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,270
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 352
- Non Resident 266
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 259
- Franchise income and costs 238
- Hands on experience of Digita 196
- Employer's Helpline 144
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 139
- employment capital allowances 135