What does this say about the profession?
The Daily Mail has reported on an accountant who lost a £70,000-per-year job and was now reduced to eating one meal a day after applying for 700 jobs without success.
The former financial controller’s contract ended and he assumed he would easily pick up more work, but after applying for more than 100 jobs in two months he contacted CIMA for advice.
Colin Timpson said: “I was told by some employers that I was too experienced and many others just said they couldn’t afford an accountant after all because of the recession.”
What does it say about the employment prospects and ageism in the profession? Is accountancy as reliable a career as it is made out to be?
Do you know of any similar stories or is this an exceptional case? What career advice would you give him?
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 373 5
- Do you send out reminders to clients re due dates? 351 14
- Employment Allowance 259 5
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 92 6
- xerocon 251 9
- Corporation Tax - aborted purchase cost 208 4
- Accounts software for trusts 64 1
- PAYE 345 11
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 296 6
- Is overpayment subject to VAT 951 16
- Payroll software 531 12
- Share Valuation 136 3
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 248 8
- Lease vehicles / Car BiK? 82 1
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 1,292 7
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 286 7
- Terminal Losses - Online filing 164 3
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 90 1
- Personal Allowance for non residents 418 9
- Is appointing liquidators necessary when closing down a company with large reserve balances 297 5
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 666
- Auto enrolment excuses 551
- Removed post 382
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 354
- Social investment tax relief 169
- Call Centre Data Costs 166
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 164
- Digita Hosted Software 156
- Auto renewed contract, is this legal/enforceable?? 155
- option to tax 132