What evidence do you need to reclaim VAT on a van purchased on HP?
My client has bought a brand new van from the local main dealer. It has been financed by the main dealer's finance company on a hire purchase.
Client is due a vat refund this quarter and was subjec to a mini compliance check as a result. He was asked to submit lots of invoices for checking with HMRC before they will release the refund, including the van invoice, which he did. They have said everything except the van invoice is ok..
1. VAT inspector initially said the van invoice was not valid because it says "deliver to XYZ Ltd" on it in the customer box. She threatened to charge penalties for an incorrect claim but gave my client 24 hours to get it sorted. Client spoke to main dealer and they have changed the invoice so it just says "XYZ Ltd" in the customer box.
2. Now today, she is saying that this is still not good enough and the main dealer should not have issued the invoice at all, but it should have come from the finance company.
She has not seen a copy of the hp agreement, but it is quite clearly just a bog standard hp agreement. I don't believe the finance company ever becomes the legal owner of the van, they are just financing it, so in accordance with section 8.4.2 of the VAT guide, I think she is talking xxxx.
The manager of the van main dealer has been on the phone to her today but she is adamant that she is correct.
Has anyone experienced this before? Or should we just continue to shoot s 8.4.2 at her?
I don't recall ever seeing a vat invoice issued from the finance company before where a client purchases something on HP. I think they always come from the vehicle supplier. If she is right then there are many many people getting this wrong...
- Clients 611 12
- Starting new accounting business 203 4
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 438 10
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 23 1
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 26 1
- Sage Payroll 72 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 99 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 413 8
- Tolley UK sales number 200 7
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 103 2
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 339 14
- Are agent account managers any good? 129 2
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 144 1
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 67 3
- VAT registration - which address? 67 1
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 86 2
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 226 4
- On line Remote Training 244 7
- Group Relief 80 1
- Sage 200 vatable journal? 103 4
- QROP pension input amounts 490
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 470
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 436
- EPS and CIS deductions 291
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 282
- Construction CIS LLP Company 273
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 236
- SAGE winforecast 196
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 179
- Overdrawn director account 171