What evidence do you need to reclaim VAT on a van purchased on HP?
My client has bought a brand new van from the local main dealer. It has been financed by the main dealer's finance company on a hire purchase.
Client is due a vat refund this quarter and was subjec to a mini compliance check as a result. He was asked to submit lots of invoices for checking with HMRC before they will release the refund, including the van invoice, which he did. They have said everything except the van invoice is ok..
1. VAT inspector initially said the van invoice was not valid because it says "deliver to XYZ Ltd" on it in the customer box. She threatened to charge penalties for an incorrect claim but gave my client 24 hours to get it sorted. Client spoke to main dealer and they have changed the invoice so it just says "XYZ Ltd" in the customer box.
2. Now today, she is saying that this is still not good enough and the main dealer should not have issued the invoice at all, but it should have come from the finance company.
She has not seen a copy of the hp agreement, but it is quite clearly just a bog standard hp agreement. I don't believe the finance company ever becomes the legal owner of the van, they are just financing it, so in accordance with section 8.4.2 of the VAT guide, I think she is talking xxxx.
The manager of the van main dealer has been on the phone to her today but she is adamant that she is correct.
Has anyone experienced this before? Or should we just continue to shoot s 8.4.2 at her?
I don't recall ever seeing a vat invoice issued from the finance company before where a client purchases something on HP. I think they always come from the vehicle supplier. If she is right then there are many many people getting this wrong...
- OneNote is fantastic 140 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,103 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 54 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 311 5
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 219 2
- PPR on a development? 222 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 323 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 889 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,786 15
- Cloud accounting package 181 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,021 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 510 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 303 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 195 3
- Next Move 399 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 415 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 231 4
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 349 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 726 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 304 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 637
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 395
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 381
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 240
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 223