What evidence do you need to reclaim VAT on a van purchased on HP?
My client has bought a brand new van from the local main dealer. It has been financed by the main dealer's finance company on a hire purchase.
Client is due a vat refund this quarter and was subjec to a mini compliance check as a result. He was asked to submit lots of invoices for checking with HMRC before they will release the refund, including the van invoice, which he did. They have said everything except the van invoice is ok..
1. VAT inspector initially said the van invoice was not valid because it says "deliver to XYZ Ltd" on it in the customer box. She threatened to charge penalties for an incorrect claim but gave my client 24 hours to get it sorted. Client spoke to main dealer and they have changed the invoice so it just says "XYZ Ltd" in the customer box.
2. Now today, she is saying that this is still not good enough and the main dealer should not have issued the invoice at all, but it should have come from the finance company.
She has not seen a copy of the hp agreement, but it is quite clearly just a bog standard hp agreement. I don't believe the finance company ever becomes the legal owner of the van, they are just financing it, so in accordance with section 8.4.2 of the VAT guide, I think she is talking xxxx.
The manager of the van main dealer has been on the phone to her today but she is adamant that she is correct.
Has anyone experienced this before? Or should we just continue to shoot s 8.4.2 at her?
I don't recall ever seeing a vat invoice issued from the finance company before where a client purchases something on HP. I think they always come from the vehicle supplier. If she is right then there are many many people getting this wrong...
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 113 1
- Not paying accountant 1,767 45
- How much does the company pay 555 23
- Cash basis VAT return 57 1
- I have done a terrible thing 638 14
- VAT on Business Premises 68 2
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 49 1
- Consolidation Software 129 2
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 442 11
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,009 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,160 32
- Anyone else still working this week? 307 9
- HMRC property income enquiry 284 6
- LLp Profits 137 5
- two business from one premises 132 2
- AIA 243 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 344 20
- partnership tax return 163 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 195 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 114 2
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 503
- corporate hierarchy 465
- Advice - 317
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 266
- WWOOFers 256
- The booking.com con 237
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 234
- Cocaine anyone? 218
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 214
- UK State pension paid in NZ 174