What evidence do you need to reclaim VAT on a van purchased on HP?
My client has bought a brand new van from the local main dealer. It has been financed by the main dealer's finance company on a hire purchase.
Client is due a vat refund this quarter and was subjec to a mini compliance check as a result. He was asked to submit lots of invoices for checking with HMRC before they will release the refund, including the van invoice, which he did. They have said everything except the van invoice is ok..
1. VAT inspector initially said the van invoice was not valid because it says "deliver to XYZ Ltd" on it in the customer box. She threatened to charge penalties for an incorrect claim but gave my client 24 hours to get it sorted. Client spoke to main dealer and they have changed the invoice so it just says "XYZ Ltd" in the customer box.
2. Now today, she is saying that this is still not good enough and the main dealer should not have issued the invoice at all, but it should have come from the finance company.
She has not seen a copy of the hp agreement, but it is quite clearly just a bog standard hp agreement. I don't believe the finance company ever becomes the legal owner of the van, they are just financing it, so in accordance with section 8.4.2 of the VAT guide, I think she is talking xxxx.
The manager of the van main dealer has been on the phone to her today but she is adamant that she is correct.
Has anyone experienced this before? Or should we just continue to shoot s 8.4.2 at her?
I don't recall ever seeing a vat invoice issued from the finance company before where a client purchases something on HP. I think they always come from the vehicle supplier. If she is right then there are many many people getting this wrong...
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 205 10
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 731 29
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 100 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 386 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 303 8
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 96 6
- Help with tax codes on Sage 219 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 131 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 234 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 130 4
- SA302's anyone?? 503 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,597 41
- Renting for military reasons 149 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,531 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,037 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 110 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 127 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 510 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,987 30
- Tax status of prizes 323 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,614
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 895
- International interest certificate 507
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 281
- Management expenses for investment company 259
- Bonus Bonds 258
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 165
- P11D benefit received by widow 147