What evidence do you need to reclaim VAT on a van purchased on HP?
My client has bought a brand new van from the local main dealer. It has been financed by the main dealer's finance company on a hire purchase.
Client is due a vat refund this quarter and was subjec to a mini compliance check as a result. He was asked to submit lots of invoices for checking with HMRC before they will release the refund, including the van invoice, which he did. They have said everything except the van invoice is ok..
1. VAT inspector initially said the van invoice was not valid because it says "deliver to XYZ Ltd" on it in the customer box. She threatened to charge penalties for an incorrect claim but gave my client 24 hours to get it sorted. Client spoke to main dealer and they have changed the invoice so it just says "XYZ Ltd" in the customer box.
2. Now today, she is saying that this is still not good enough and the main dealer should not have issued the invoice at all, but it should have come from the finance company.
She has not seen a copy of the hp agreement, but it is quite clearly just a bog standard hp agreement. I don't believe the finance company ever becomes the legal owner of the van, they are just financing it, so in accordance with section 8.4.2 of the VAT guide, I think she is talking xxxx.
The manager of the van main dealer has been on the phone to her today but she is adamant that she is correct.
Has anyone experienced this before? Or should we just continue to shoot s 8.4.2 at her?
I don't recall ever seeing a vat invoice issued from the finance company before where a client purchases something on HP. I think they always come from the vehicle supplier. If she is right then there are many many people getting this wrong...
- SAGE con 132 2
- Dazed & confused 65 2
- Related Parties Note 370 8
- Goodwill ammortisation 215 2
- Overpayment relief claim 98 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 210 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,506 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 499 28
- Charity reserves 105 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,456 16
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 490 8
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 125 1
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,239 19
- do I have to pay NI? 260 4
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 94 3
- rates of pay query 144 1
- Flat rate vat error 417 8
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 95 2
- How to format a stock book 393 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 272 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 996
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 540
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 358
- Tax efficient holding company structure 284
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 268
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 201
- Personal consumption by landlord 177
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 176
- Interest on Loan to a Company 169