What evidence do you need to reclaim VAT on a van purchased on HP?
My client has bought a brand new van from the local main dealer. It has been financed by the main dealer's finance company on a hire purchase.
Client is due a vat refund this quarter and was subjec to a mini compliance check as a result. He was asked to submit lots of invoices for checking with HMRC before they will release the refund, including the van invoice, which he did. They have said everything except the van invoice is ok..
1. VAT inspector initially said the van invoice was not valid because it says "deliver to XYZ Ltd" on it in the customer box. She threatened to charge penalties for an incorrect claim but gave my client 24 hours to get it sorted. Client spoke to main dealer and they have changed the invoice so it just says "XYZ Ltd" in the customer box.
2. Now today, she is saying that this is still not good enough and the main dealer should not have issued the invoice at all, but it should have come from the finance company.
She has not seen a copy of the hp agreement, but it is quite clearly just a bog standard hp agreement. I don't believe the finance company ever becomes the legal owner of the van, they are just financing it, so in accordance with section 8.4.2 of the VAT guide, I think she is talking xxxx.
The manager of the van main dealer has been on the phone to her today but she is adamant that she is correct.
Has anyone experienced this before? Or should we just continue to shoot s 8.4.2 at her?
I don't recall ever seeing a vat invoice issued from the finance company before where a client purchases something on HP. I think they always come from the vehicle supplier. If she is right then there are many many people getting this wrong...
- PRR 93 5
- Pension Contributions Relief 426 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 442 7
- Which tax box 168 2
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 83 2
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 102 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,044 53
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 63 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 189 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 195 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,424 423
- References for clients 151 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 119 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 68 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 305 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 95 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 282 1
- corp tax software 301 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 210 3
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 574 24
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,292
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 459
- National Insurance 358
- Non Resident 274
- Franchise income and costs 250
- Hands on experience of Digita 208
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 162
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 149
- CIS paid under reg 9 133