What evidence do you need to reclaim VAT on a van purchased on HP?
My client has bought a brand new van from the local main dealer. It has been financed by the main dealer's finance company on a hire purchase.
Client is due a vat refund this quarter and was subjec to a mini compliance check as a result. He was asked to submit lots of invoices for checking with HMRC before they will release the refund, including the van invoice, which he did. They have said everything except the van invoice is ok..
1. VAT inspector initially said the van invoice was not valid because it says "deliver to XYZ Ltd" on it in the customer box. She threatened to charge penalties for an incorrect claim but gave my client 24 hours to get it sorted. Client spoke to main dealer and they have changed the invoice so it just says "XYZ Ltd" in the customer box.
2. Now today, she is saying that this is still not good enough and the main dealer should not have issued the invoice at all, but it should have come from the finance company.
She has not seen a copy of the hp agreement, but it is quite clearly just a bog standard hp agreement. I don't believe the finance company ever becomes the legal owner of the van, they are just financing it, so in accordance with section 8.4.2 of the VAT guide, I think she is talking xxxx.
The manager of the van main dealer has been on the phone to her today but she is adamant that she is correct.
Has anyone experienced this before? Or should we just continue to shoot s 8.4.2 at her?
I don't recall ever seeing a vat invoice issued from the finance company before where a client purchases something on HP. I think they always come from the vehicle supplier. If she is right then there are many many people getting this wrong...
- Tasbook email configuration 206 3
- Unpaid Fee's 384 7
- PAYE NI 154 3
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 139 3
- Client information from previous accountant 142 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 199 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 281 8
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 242 4
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 105 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 386 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 228 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 157 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,673 31
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 142 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 836 14
- How much to charge? 710 10
- break even point 1,012 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 191 5
- Accomodation and travel 210 1
- Issue with a software supplier 259 4
- Possible Partnership? 516
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 498
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 470
- New Fangled Penalties 312
- Clubs and Taxable Income 262
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 260
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 253
- Loans to other companies 194
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 171
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 160