What evidence do you need to reclaim VAT on a van purchased on HP?
My client has bought a brand new van from the local main dealer. It has been financed by the main dealer's finance company on a hire purchase.
Client is due a vat refund this quarter and was subjec to a mini compliance check as a result. He was asked to submit lots of invoices for checking with HMRC before they will release the refund, including the van invoice, which he did. They have said everything except the van invoice is ok..
1. VAT inspector initially said the van invoice was not valid because it says "deliver to XYZ Ltd" on it in the customer box. She threatened to charge penalties for an incorrect claim but gave my client 24 hours to get it sorted. Client spoke to main dealer and they have changed the invoice so it just says "XYZ Ltd" in the customer box.
2. Now today, she is saying that this is still not good enough and the main dealer should not have issued the invoice at all, but it should have come from the finance company.
She has not seen a copy of the hp agreement, but it is quite clearly just a bog standard hp agreement. I don't believe the finance company ever becomes the legal owner of the van, they are just financing it, so in accordance with section 8.4.2 of the VAT guide, I think she is talking xxxx.
The manager of the van main dealer has been on the phone to her today but she is adamant that she is correct.
Has anyone experienced this before? Or should we just continue to shoot s 8.4.2 at her?
I don't recall ever seeing a vat invoice issued from the finance company before where a client purchases something on HP. I think they always come from the vehicle supplier. If she is right then there are many many people getting this wrong...
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 584 5
- See you all on the other side 670 6
- 12Pay 433 2
- dividends 578 2
- R&D 304 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,159 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 430 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 388 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 359 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 535 5
- Seeking a tax case 631 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 491 4
- Companies house strike off 517 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 410 2
- Moving to the cloud 730 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 210 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 885 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 202 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,087 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 482 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 556
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 418
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 367
- IRIS and FRS 102 352
- Capitalising Finance Lease 318
- USA help 314
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 294
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 285
- Marginal rates of tax 271
- Capital gains on rental property 261