What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Giving a seminar 423 22
- Care to help a student out? 212 9
- Interest on Loan to a Company 211 1
- Residency 91 day rule 171 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 172 10
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 819 12
- Dazed & confused 1,263 9
- deleting customers on Sage 50 43 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 294 6
- Altered PAYE cheque 92 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 111 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,003 30
- Writing off bad debts 122 3
- PAYE coding notices 83 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 657 17
- Is there a time limit on VAT claims on DIY barn conversions? 126 2
- Contra entry in Sage Line 50 accounts professional 91 3
- Excel - protecting a cell 109 4
- Foreign Tax 109 2
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 516 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,180
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 596
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 401
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 306
- Agent fees to sell business 184
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 182
- Alphabet shares 180
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 171
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 149
- EBT 148