What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 172 8
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 151 4
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 414 4
- sole trader - operating under cis 82 2
- What does it mean?? 367 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 289 13
- VAT on motor expenses 900 32
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 79 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,713 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,318 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 110 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 141 3
- Introduction of Goodwill 211 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 163 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 753 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 394 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 216 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 341 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 123 2
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 98 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 472
- NOVA 329
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 238
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 224
- Management expenses for investment company 211
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 211
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 195