What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 823 29
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 615 32
- IHT and cash gifts 96 2
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 388 4
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 314 9
- Practice management 172 2
- Flat Conversion Allowance 76 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 227 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 94 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 153 7
- Clothing 209 4
- VAT registration transfer 161 3
- Sponsorship & VAT 93 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 136 2
- Director drawings 421 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 325 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 109 1
- HMRC SA302s 220 3
- What does the "K" signify 445 7
- Director or self-employed 167 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 909
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 615
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 581
- Latest phishing scam 536
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 380
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 349
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 283
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 203
- Capital allowances in first basis period 192
- Sabbatical payments 180