What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Rogue Accountant 3,234 50
- VAT on a private sale? 73 4
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 305 17
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,206 24
- Where has Portia gone? 3,075 87
- Payroll software 138 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 44 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 586 19
- Practice management software 1,051 19
- Trade Association Dinner 133 1
- RTI - duplicate employee record 587 1
- Stock of photos to capatilise 113 1
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 160 4
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 178 2
- Depreciation of Revalued Building 55 1
- Spousal transfer and PPR 756 32
- Portia ... Where art thou 451 1
- Taxation of serviced offices 219 3
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 781 16
- Write off loan between companies 617 24
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 806
- Pensions Regulator 459
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 418
- Sanzar 323
- How do you do it 313
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 278
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 178
- Fit for purpose 176