What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Recharge for private use of a company car 606 18
- Community awards 2014 - first category 220 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 347 18
- Payment plans for clients 293 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 110 4
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 487 14
- Employee steeling client data 150 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,377 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 195 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 138 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 95 1
- CT600 285 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 228 4
- signature required 924 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 218 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 350 4
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 185 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 95 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 164 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 109 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,313
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 862
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 562
- Credit where credit's due....... 344
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 264
- TheTax Donut 238
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 196
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 188
- Director's business mileage 159
- Sole trader CPD 150