What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Self assessment 127 1
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 94 2
- Claiming VAT 74 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,071 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 164 4
- Company assets 328 14
- MoneySoft 105 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 258 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 262 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 147 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 492 9
- Director resignation 727 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,791 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 146 1
- CIS Only Scheme 102 1
- No payroll scheme in place 342 1
- Xero Training 391 3
- SA Penalty 231 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 258 13
- Debtor weighting by sales 99 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 502
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 476
- Is there anything wrong with this? 277
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 264
- Uncommercial property business 240
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 203
- Registering online CWF1 181
- Accrued income scheme 177
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 174
- VAT - registration needed? 174