What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 994 31
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 236 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 60 1
- Voluntary Disclosure 314 6
- valuation of vehicles 443 18
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 353 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 434 4
- BTC is slow 281 3
- Director registration for SA question 498 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 417 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 509 22
- Business only use of company car 714 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 519 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 340 4
- New Company reviews please 573 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 332 4
- VAT with Russia 260 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 238 4
- Money Laundering Manual 316 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 261 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 309
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 254
- Any thoughts on Capium? 247
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 246
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 223
- auto enrolment 196
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 179
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 162
- How to account for investment in JV? 160
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 150