What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,931 208
- Trademark Fun 96 5
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,456 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 123 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 157 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 634 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 175 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 151 1
- Recycle old study books 351 9
- Share for share exchange 135 3
- Wind turbines 130 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 509 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 181 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 402 7
- VAT claim 353 6
- How to reclaim input tax from mixed use redevelopment? 161 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 401 9
- State Pension 1,209 10
- Late Corporation tax return 355 7
- The iIns and outs of VAT 378 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,057
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 339
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 287
- National Insurance 241
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 222
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 221
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 205
- Payments on account coded out?? 201
- Non Resident 159
- Franchise income and costs 139