What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Transmission of ISA 25 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 159 4
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 160 2
- Next Move 700 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 149 2
- Self-assessment statistics 2,452 58
- Not renewing AAT 666 9
- CGT of shares gifted 376 6
- New dividend taxation 473 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,784 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 142 1
- Company car v company allowance 267 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 436 9
- Company formation and bank account 420 9
- Owning overseas property 330 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 290 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 266 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 707 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 710 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 266 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 666
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 397
- 2015 tax year end 394
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 393
- FCA regulated company in a small group 346
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 318
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 210
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204