What happened to the audit
Mrs Smith’s greed and dishonesty have brought disaster to her family.”
According to the judgement passed down by the court the fraud began on June 3, 2005, two months after Mr Smith’s retirement, when Mrs Smith arranged for £29,252.60 to be paid from Glen Dimplex to the couple’s joint account at the St Helens branch of Natwest.
More than £2.1m was transferred into the couple’s joint account or their individual accounts over the next five years without suspicion being raised.
An extra £700,000 was paid directly from Glen Dimplex to Mrs Lewis’ Barclays bank account over the same period.
In the High Court hearing her 65-year-old husband claimed he had been “duped” and had no idea where the money was coming from.
Mr Smith said after the downsizing of their home and the subsequent release of equity and his pay-off and pension he thought they were “cash rich”.
- Auto enrolment 164 2
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 121 3
- Registration as self-employed 169 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,058 15
- Corporation Tax Software 408 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 94 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 677 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 116 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 171 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 124 4
- Regular Director bonus 459 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 156 1
- BrightPay 1,100 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 552 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 376 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,129 17
- BIK for an electric car 175 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,644 90
- How do I save face? 2,416 14
- Goodie bag 3,131 72
- Possible Partnership? 700
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 541
- Fuming! 526
- New Fangled Penalties 469
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 337
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 279
- Moving away from CCH software 268
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 261
- Outsource Data Entry 259
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 210