What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,761 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 56 1
- Late Registration for VAT 159 5
- Registering a company late 217 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 258 4
- physiotherapy clinic 545 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,894 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 77 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,004 25
- Deferred Tax 114 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 65 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 404 7
- How much of your work is admin? 164 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,789 19
- Goodwill complications 144 2
- Personal pension 213 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 170 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 293 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 247 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 984 26
- TheTax Donut 1,009
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 668
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 617
- Follower cases 484
- Limited company purchase of property 410
- Hive up 406
- corporate hierarchy 378
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 373
- LIVE chat, starting now 317
- AIA or IFA 206