What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 151 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 255 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 42 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 777 32
- Classic cars investment 214 6
- BrightPay 571 16
- VAT silly question 2,376 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,075 10
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 132 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 250 5
- Federation Accounts 358 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 539 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 287 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 152 2
- Late reply from HMRC 259 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 287 6
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,671 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,426 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,797 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 508 11
- Benchmarking 487
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 406
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 346
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 205
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 202
- Clubs and Taxable Income 186
- Income tax on foreign dividends 185
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 182