What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 128 4
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 170 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,341 232
- Recycle old study books 412 11
- Being Tax relevant 399 5
- FIFA game and making money 174 6
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 145 3
- Client has never prepared tax returns 335 2
- Kind of shares to take in an LTD 117 2
- Tax investigation pending 1,400 8
- Trademark Fun 264 7
- CIS paid on behalf of a limited company 90 2
- Distribution on cessation of trade 230 4
- Changing font size in VT Transaction+ 227 6
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,547 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 241 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 198 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 726 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 245 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 206 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,065
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 345
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 292
- National Insurance 247
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 226
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 224
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 210
- Payments on account coded out?? 204
- Non Resident 166
- Franchise income and costs 155