What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- AWeb - download file 201 4
- Director Drawings 218 6
- Incorporated when they should not have 292 9
- Accountancy Career 350 5
- Accounts Software 189 6
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,379 22
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,711 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 122 1
- HMRC Agents Line 232 4
- calculation DTR restriction 99 1
- Company Director In Prison 475 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 99 1
- Charity work 254 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 283 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 282 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 243 7
- Collection or business assets 119 1
- Tax position re this lease? 374 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 738 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 111 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 686
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 529
- Cancelled 430
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 363
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 204