What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- Pre- trading Expenses 69 1
- IRIS Practice Management 124 1
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 231 7
- Was I rude 765 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 176 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 165 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 296 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 239 1
- Top slicing relief question 230 2
- Valuation of PET on death 108 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 263 6
- Share swap 289 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 88 1
- Online filing 157 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 328 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,711 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 105 2
- Converting a barn for business use 98 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 239 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 125 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,477
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 811
- Any views 728
- International interest certificate 445
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 418
- Sale of business 388
- NOVA 282
- IRIS Open Books problem 280
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 197
- Expenses claim for non employee 188