What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- Why should I retain membership? 2,658 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 165 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 320 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 124 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,252 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 384 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,456 18
- Vat 241 4
- CT/CIS offset 113 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 168 4
- Trade name 167 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 129 1
- New business - journal entries 309 20
- B2B vat in the EU 107 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 309 18
- VAT on deposits 204 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 126 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 404 12
- option to tax 203 1
- Share of profits from building society 102 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 778
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 706
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 386
- Social investment tax relief 205
- Digita Hosted Software 199
- Call Centre Data Costs 192
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 158
- Travel costs and contractors 150
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 144
- Certificates of tax deposit 136