What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- are we that stupid 852 19
- Foster Care 35 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 330 5
- letter of reference 130 1
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 55 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 272 3
- Flat Management Company 191 1
- Share structure questions - close company 168 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 160 4
- Income prior to company formation 336 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 723 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 308 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 123 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 526 5
- Practice software 1,420 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 362 1
- Company leaving VAT group 169 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 611 18
- Staff training 1,551 13
- Goodwill on incorporation 281 2
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 327
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 286
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 246
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 216
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 214
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 151
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 148
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148
- Indian Provident Fund 146