What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 88 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 795 17
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 156 3
- Property scam victim 315 5
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 255 9
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 235 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 48 1
- Have i messed up? 745 11
- VAT on garage rent 127 8
- Are HMRC getting it right? 423 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 52 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 100 2
- Tasks for new trainees 147 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 69 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 69 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 562 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 105 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,647 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 259 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,811 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,092
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 575
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 383
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 288
- Charge out rates in London? 242
- Interest on Loan to a Company 189
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 174
- Agent fees to sell business 163
- Alphabet shares 160
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 154