What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- cancellation of Engagement 355 9
- PAYE for a babysitter? 226 14
- Accountancy work for Farmers 222 11
- How to complain about HMRC 156 5
- Preparing CIC accounts 45 1
- Feuding directors 493 18
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 146 1
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 587 19
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 287 2
- Lloyds bank ... 117 1
- Instant CPD - is it any good? 53 1
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 391 12
- Agent Change of Postal Address 206 3
- Protocol on SEIS & EIS 56 1
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 134 2
- Fastest Software 725 12
- Capital allowances 163 1
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 277 7
- Foreign branch in SME 134 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,289 21
- CTA study material 656
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 397
- Employment related securities question 250
- ATED Penalties 226
- AIM Stocks and IHT 204
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 176
- Trust for Employee 161
- Expat pension contributions? 155
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 108
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 107