What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- Casual Driver 463 7
- Questions from Liquidator 2,314 25
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 236 3
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 1,518 13
- Cloud-based email services? 92 2
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 483 11
- Not renewing AAT 1,184 12
- Dormant co. now trading 130 4
- CisVerification as an agent 225 3
- Is the CT61 return dead? 485 7
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 472 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 440 11
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 276 4
- Property letting & CAs 474 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,448 19
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 562 7
- Transmission of ISA 276 4
- Opt To Tax Refund 92 1
- Deduction for Flat Rate Scheme VAT 304 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 381 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 717
- 2015 tax year end 452
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 423
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 364
- Costly Accounting Software contract 331
- Directors' advances and credits 270
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 240
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 226
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 205