What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- Newly Started Practice 396 8
- Property income 98 2
- VAT rules on Compensation invoice to EU company 89 3
- error on companies house accounts 341 9
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 198 5
- Home to Office 107 3
- Clients 223 4
- Commission on holiday accrual 138 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 182 4
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,430 111
- VAT reclaim on costs incurred for VAT exempt services 102 1
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 160 1
- IR35 calc - which months' E'ees NICs and PAYE to include? 136 3
- Excel 2010 pivot table rows 58 1
- VAT rules on recharge sales invoice 103 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 306 6
- Extension of lease in flat management company 162 2
- Client's company struck off 695 18
- 2010-11 tax return is incorrect 122 1
- Overtime etc for PT employees 216 3
- QROP pension input amounts 479
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 451
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 423
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 273
- EPS and CIS deductions 267
- Construction CIS LLP Company 249
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 219
- SAGE winforecast 186
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 175
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174