What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- 100% Xero practice 2,572 49
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,547 33
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 718 29
- capital gains on PPR 330 16
- Devolved HMRC? 62 1
- PAYE 250 5
- What accounting software is there for Irish Accounts? 205 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 179 1
- incorrect PAYE statements 245 3
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 126 1
- Cloud based payroll sofware? 494 8
- Does anyone use quotation software? 142 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,110 452
- What is the best, tax efficient way to sell 40% shares in your start-up business for approx £1m 431 5
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 340 10
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 440 10
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 392 5
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 578 10
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 349 12
- Direct Debit - no receipts 316 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,325
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 488
- National Insurance 376
- Non Resident 302
- Franchise income and costs 267
- Hands on experience of Digita 221
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 198
- Employer's Helpline 170
- employment capital allowances 167
- CIS paid under reg 9 162