What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- 27,000 Really? 1,135 37
- What are options for non CA firm 2,822 60
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 141 3
- Legal title not in the company name 785 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 332 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 303 8
- Opening Balances 197 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 579 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 96 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 82 1
- This is getting boring 612 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 255 7
- pension paid by company? 111 3
- inheritance tax 417 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 348 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 226 4
- State pension 301 3
- Accountancy Career 141 1
- CIC Company 657 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,823 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 640
- Cancelled 395
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 335
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 308
- Probiz 303
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 279
- How not to compose an email 266
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 223