What have others done in this situation?
My client has placed funds with a Financial Adviser who has acquired investments, collected income, issued a consolidated tax certificate etc. The FA has also provided details of disposlas of listed investments in a neat schedule that could easily be attached as a pdf to the tax return. The only problem is that the schedule doesn't show the acquisition dates of the investments, something that I believe HMRC requires.
There have been 22 disposals (total proceeds £35,000) with 19 gains totalling £1,600 but 3 losses totalling £200. Disclosure is required by HMRC due to the incidence of losses.
My client is reluctant to pay me to enter 22 transactions that are of no significance to his overall tax position, and I don't blame him.
The only idea I have is to not claim the losses, with the idea that the gains themselves are not required to be disclosed (below the disclosure limits on Page TRG5 of the Tax Return Guide). Does this sound a sensible approach or is there something I am missing please?
- Wrong tax code 115 5
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,033 31
- Am I getting Soft?? 183 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 624 11
- Deferred Tax 453 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 200 1
- You know its over 464 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 237 1
- Benefit in Kind 211 5
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 134 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 217 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,260 14
- Cocaine anyone? 598 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 133 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 299 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 487 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,301 8
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 534 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 268 13
- Hive up 505
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 472
- corporate hierarchy 448
- Advice - 286
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 232
- WWOOFers 227
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 214
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 191
- The booking.com con 166
- UK State pension paid in NZ 160