What is HMRC's thinking behind SA three line accounts?
As an accountant with sixty or so very small businesses in my client bank, I'm acutely aware of the pressure they're under on costs. To prepare three-line accounts using experience, a tally-roll calculator, a heap of receipts, details of bank payments etc, may take only 2 or 3 hours to complete, including the tax return. My fees could drop and the client would be happy.
However, with smaller jobs I have always relied on full trading analysis (not to Balance Sheet) and comparison with previous year's figures to spot discrepancies, duplications and omissions. But then HMRC say, 'if your turnover is less than £73k, you do not need to enter detailed expenses, just the year's total'. It feels like they're saying, 'we're prepared to take a risk at this level because the possible loss of revenue is immaterial'. Basically I feel a tension between good practice, client needs and HMRC's possible enquiries.
A friend in a separate practice said he has used the three-line option when he just couldn't balance the balance sheet for lack of accurate information. To be frank, that seems sensible and practical when a very small trade is involved. But I still feel the unease of not really knowing HMRC's thinking; maybe they want us to feel like that to keep us on our toes?! Members views would be much appreciated.
- Insovent companies 844 18
- Rounding errors on CT600 105 4
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,286 48
- BrightPay quirks 158 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 86 1
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 781 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,167 31
- Website Content 78 1
- Mortgage Reference 472 5
- Personal Tax 611 12
- New Build 143 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 112 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 147 1
- USA Tax Query 279 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 422 5
- last minute request 630 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 333 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 366 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,722 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 984 6