What is HMRC's thinking behind SA three line accounts?
As an accountant with sixty or so very small businesses in my client bank, I'm acutely aware of the pressure they're under on costs. To prepare three-line accounts using experience, a tally-roll calculator, a heap of receipts, details of bank payments etc, may take only 2 or 3 hours to complete, including the tax return. My fees could drop and the client would be happy.
However, with smaller jobs I have always relied on full trading analysis (not to Balance Sheet) and comparison with previous year's figures to spot discrepancies, duplications and omissions. But then HMRC say, 'if your turnover is less than £73k, you do not need to enter detailed expenses, just the year's total'. It feels like they're saying, 'we're prepared to take a risk at this level because the possible loss of revenue is immaterial'. Basically I feel a tension between good practice, client needs and HMRC's possible enquiries.
A friend in a separate practice said he has used the three-line option when he just couldn't balance the balance sheet for lack of accurate information. To be frank, that seems sensible and practical when a very small trade is involved. But I still feel the unease of not really knowing HMRC's thinking; maybe they want us to feel like that to keep us on our toes?! Members views would be much appreciated.
- flat rate scheme 2,334 48
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 107 4
- Family Partnership 250 7
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 316 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 125 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 57 2
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 175 4
- Signed accounts for bank 642 14
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 831 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 292 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 171 5
- VAT Query on new build 108 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 141 1
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 149 4
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 96 1
- P11D Car Value 260 6
- NOVA declaration 104 1
- Business valuation advice 709 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,511 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,227 23