What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 101 1
- Instant CPD offer 272 4
- Cash basis 503 13
- Income from rent charged to business 101 2
- payroll software 356 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 434 5
- Statutory sick pay 295 4
- Dividend in specie 361 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 215 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 172 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 268 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 293 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 163 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 372 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,853 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 328 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 252 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 103 1
- Investor exit 196 3
- Skandia using wrong address 566
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 303
- Employee rewards 287
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 244
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 226
- Etax Australian 185
- LLP in Construction Industry 151
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 131
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 130