What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- P11D & tax return 237 10
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 108 4
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 499 10
- Identify cost savings 74 1
- Freelance/Employee 903 22
- VAT on children's clothing 135 4
- when is a bad debt a bad debt 213 6
- Why do I get the feeling ... 372 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,416 50
- Concurrent users 426 7
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 75 1
- Member meet up 1 October in London 219 6
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,558 18
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 265 3
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 468 8
- Fees 721 7
- Creation of leases out of freehold 166 2
- Selling Business 322 2
- Capital Goods Scheme 142 6
- HMRC incompetency 389 2
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 796
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 437
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 388
- Electric Car 327
- S222 Charge 264
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 235
- AIA 209
- IP trans to holding company 209
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 197
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 165