What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Changing shareholding ratio 65 2
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 100 1
- SA1 forms 337 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 121 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 76 1
- ICPA 420 6
- Do I need to see receipts ? 682 10
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 138 5
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 523 12
- VAT on services to EC customer 163 3
- Delayed option to tax 176 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 223 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 835 23
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 341 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 418 7
- Redundancy Pay 333 4
- question about merging two companies... 200 1
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 452 3
- CG on Spanish property disposal 237 7
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 529 5
- Sainsbury's mangement 819
- Avanti Accounts 672
- Have I done the right thing? 645
- Calling franchise accountants 629
- Continuity Agreement 625
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 320
- Advice please! 227
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 211