What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Preparing a consolidated TB 259 7
- Tax return to date of death/R27 56 1
- Date of acquisition for capital allowances 119 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 70 2
- Companies House 337 6
- Medical benefit on low paid wife of director? 92 4
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 232 7
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 219 6
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 237 8
- Gross Profit Percentage 414 9
- Self employment trap - pension 425 5
- Awkward IP 694 10
- Prepare for Chaos 479 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,719 69
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 208 3
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,676 29
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 610 14
- Payroll Operation post Trading Cessation 110 1
- When does my Property business start 312 5
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 916 20
- CTA study material 610
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 374
- Employment related securities question 231
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 204
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 180
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 141
- Expat pension contributions? 136
- Trust for Employee 129
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 121