What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Director or self-employed 271 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,357 25
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 579 17
- Anybody still doing returns? 994 37
- BVI registered 175 4
- Closing a limited company 387 6
- Self assessment for directors 167 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 276 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,614 17
- A little knowledge 395 6
- Digita in the cloud 170 2
- Tax relief when working away 87 1
- Tax relief when working away 196 3
- Designated sole Residence 253 5
- Scratch Head 358 1
- Year end 276 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 330 13
- Clothing 648 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 179 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 213 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 967
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 690
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 633
- Latest phishing scam 614
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 457
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 337
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 269
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 235
- Sabbatical payments 228
- Negligible Value Claim 210