What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Settlement discount 194 5
- IT advisory questions? 290 8
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,552 21
- experian and credit agencies 75 1
- Homing sandwiches 550 13
- Limited company to community interest company 47 1
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 438 10
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 209 5
- Error in audited accounts 226 3
- CIS software 129 3
- Pratice Management Software 209 3
- Use of home query 181 2
- signature required 591 22
- Vat registration exception 215 3
- CT600 158 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 220 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 532 9
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 190 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 158 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 248 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,261
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 835
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 530
- Digita Hosted Software 347
- Credit where credit's due....... 322
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 248
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 206
- TheTax Donut 191
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 169
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 167