What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 175 6
- BEST CPD COURSE 67 1
- Total cost of employment 240 3
- Accountancy software for an imac 242 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 509 10
- VAT Option to tax 321 4
- directors loan movements and repayments 224 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 879 16
- Consortium relief and bad debts 64 2
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 34 1
- Business travel apps 63 2
- EIS - connection through employment 55 1
- Weely paid employees 320 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 103 2
- Help car benefit 188 5
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 162 5
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 79 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,466 11
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 76 1
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 141 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 891
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 624
- Free Tax Legislation? 380
- Director Loan account operation 377
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 322
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 301
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 276
- Paye procedures for CVA 208
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 197