What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- is my company accounts right? 706 18
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 362 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 59 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,474 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,539 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 95 1
- P11D Dispensation 77 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 225 2
- I have missing sales invoices 368 5
- Invoice Help 369 10
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 260 8
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 366 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 993 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,055 26
- Directors Subsistence 221 1
- (CIMA) - Qualified to Management Level (2006) 266 4
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 431 16
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 267 3
- Final year's accounts 349 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,959 27
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 555
- Cancelled 318
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 318
- Cancelled 267
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 219
- Probiz 209
- What's the market like for temps? 200
- CIS Deductions 168
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 160