What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Dividend payment date 1,866 33
- Hollyoaks cast - changes due to Social Security Regulations 2,683 18
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 110 2
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 123 5
- Director hired as an individual 59 2
- Real names 514 20
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 85 2
- Company Secretarial Software 1,274 27
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 80 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 188 2
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 167 6
- Tax relief on licence costs 111 1
- Who owns the data 210 3
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 149 5
- Sole Trader Fees 111 1
- Loan interest rental property 190 5
- Theatre as charitable company 45 1
- Peer to Peer lending 133 5
- What's the plural? 667 14
- Well well well 254 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 569
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 431
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 332
- IFA incorporation 307
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 299
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 288
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 249
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 237
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 227
- Sorry ignore me 221