What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- What is the role of an accountant? 296 9
- Company Accounts 411 8
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,294 22
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 67 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 270 7
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 33 2
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 183 4
- VAT on introducer fees 108 2
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 40 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 172 12
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 312 18
- Scottish but not UK 267 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 256 9
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 279 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,152 362
- CIS 336 11
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 113 5
- Sole Trade - Losses B/Fwd 287 14
- Construction Industry Scheme Age Limit 110 3
- P11D Query 121 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 427
- National Insurance 326
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 319
- Non Resident 250
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 239
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 222
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154