What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 81 1
- CIS and Xero 259 1
- Mortgage Reference 853 12
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 196 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 129 2
- property capital gains 399 4
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 84 1
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 121 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 284 8
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 872 9
- Tips on meals 560 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,332 15
- S.455 Tax again 452 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 192 3
- Closing down loss-making company 798 15
- Stumped - IHT 613 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 161 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 499 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 419 14
- co-operatives & Societies 134 1
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 981
- Members in Public Practice 595
- Oplex Careers CPD 364
- Payroll manager and the cloud 291
- Is the APN valid 240
- Treatment of EIS relate back? 237
- Institute of Customer Services 235
- Kashflow payroll 228
- Class 4 NI due on 2 self employments 224
- Continuity of Practice 206