What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 311 8
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 146 4
- Easy way to not pay tax 139 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 348 14
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 198 2
- Builder using cash labour 117 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 216 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 442 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 275 10
- Was I rude 822 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 333 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 219 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 297 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 214 6
- Non-compete agreement 191 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 208 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 162 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 116 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 122 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 301
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 211
- Bonus Bonds 180
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172