What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- P11d & Medical Ins 172 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 155 4
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 146 2
- Submitting tax return 72 1
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 183 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 248 8
- Director's tax return 323 7
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 88 1
- Sage Payroll 312 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 203 6
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,062 33
- vat return 257 3
- Flat rate vat 142 1
- Value pricing 731 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 161 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 232 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 292 4
- Reregister for VAT 156 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 204 6
- Weely paid employees 256 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 804
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 554
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 424
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 301
- Free Tax Legislation? 270
- Director Loan account operation 252
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 250
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 244
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 231
- Paye procedures for CVA 161