What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Resigning as a director 56 6
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 260 2
- Repayment of Share Capital 210 3
- Asignment of lease and premium paid 162 2
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 305 2
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 180 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 566 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 427 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 183 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 198 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 431 10
- Self employed care worker 573 12
- Auto enrolment 464 8
- Audacity 987 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 405 7
- Late registration for MOSS 276 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 286 5
- Client right to working papers 431 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 564 6
- Professional Clearance 1,088 24
- NHS finance professionals 541
- VAL231 411
- Mother and son property ownership 388
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 362
- Foreign Pension Contribution 334
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 312
- vat gross profit percentage margins 293
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 291
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 264
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 234