What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 565 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,231 36
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 183 3
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,454 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 159 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 820 33
- VAT flat rate scheme 61 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 276 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 77 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 179 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,065 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 395 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 138 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 205 3
- FPS or EPS 154 2
- Continuity of Practice 207 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 133 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 316 10
- Financial statements accounting policies 249 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 173 3
- Moving away from CCH software 951
- QROP pension input amounts 438
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 255
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 225
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 197