What if self-employed income is NIL?
I actually feel really sill asking this but....
I friend of mine has been self-employed for a number of years, however, last year she took an employed job, and there was no self-employed income as she didn't have time. She did however still incur self-employed expenses such as professional fees, her business telephone line and web domain costs. She also worked from home 1 day a week (home as office allowance?)... It has always been her intnetion to continue being self-employed (although the employment was a permanent position I believe it was on a contract basis), so keeping these things in place was necessary. Can she still enter these expenses on her SA tax return, even though her self-employed income is actually NIL for the year and so create a loss that can be offset against her other income?
I think yes, but don't want to put it on her tax return if the answer is no! I am thinking that zero income but self-employed expense would look a bit weird on the tax return, but that she should still be able to claim it...
I know some of you are probably reeling at how basic a question this is, but the text books don't seem to cover real life scenarios and anomalies!!
Many thanks for your thoughts....
- Corporation Tax Software 390 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 75 1
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 27 1
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,002 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 662 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 80 1
- Auto enrolment 122 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 126 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 90 4
- Regular Director bonus 439 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 143 1
- Registration as self-employed 125 1
- BrightPay 1,089 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 529 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 345 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,107 17
- BIK for an electric car 163 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,628 90
- How do I save face? 2,366 14
- Goodie bag 3,099 72
- Possible Partnership? 689
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 534
- Fuming! 513
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 334
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 275
- Moving away from CCH software 264
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 255
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 207