What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Non-IR35 contractors and travel, since Autumn Statement 198 1
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 549 11
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 24 1
- property capital gains 235 2
- Transferring DLA between Directors 216 1
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,209 13
- Tips on meals 248 2
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 213 3
- Personal Tax 771 13
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 260 2
- Stumped - IHT 229 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 427 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 491 11
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,301 33
- Credit management tools 174 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 794 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 438 7
- CGT and primary residence 206 1
- Marriage Allowance 312 3
- S455 and February year ends 365 7