What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,099 34
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 379 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,191 30
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 161 4
- New Company reviews please 642 16
- Business only use of company car 749 27
- Voluntary Disclosure 417 8
- Gift to son by parents 187 1
- valuation of vehicles 496 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 297 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 207 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 423 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 469 4
- BTC is slow 316 3
- Director registration for SA question 542 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 478 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 523 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 535 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 372 4
- VAT with Russia 294 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 328
- Any thoughts on Capium? 269
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 265
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 251
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 231
- auto enrolment 205
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 189
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 179
- How to account for investment in JV? 169
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 160