What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- What can my client claim r & d on? 327 6
- R&D tax claim 107 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 582 13
- Vat threshold issues 123 2
- Growing pains 362 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 237 14
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 79 1
- Consequential loss claim 124 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 193 5
- ATT Annual Return Problems 120 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 108 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 342 5
- private to company car? 207 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 958 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 592 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 155 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 246 1
- Partner with an IVA 176 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 605 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 426 11
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 418
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 288
- Pre incorp expenses 279
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 246
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 211
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 187
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 178