What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Which purchase date should I consider in the asset register 34 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 326 15
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 122 3
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 163 4
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 132 2
- Financial statements accounting policies 168 4
- Accountants website 124 1
- Employed or self employed 84 1
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 177 9
- Design your ideal tax department 852 19
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 251 6
- Scams are not always obvious 1,720 30
- Deemed Employment Payment 392 2
- Little PPR calc question 210 4
- Restructuring company and Form 42 175 7
- Overpayment notice 130 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 231 9
- Cells from many sheets 190 3
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 184 8
- Investment company 201 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,058
- Moving away from CCH software 920
- Recruitment agencies 544
- QROP pension input amounts 422
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 369
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 324
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 304
- fraud 247
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 230
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 204