What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 101 2
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 261 11
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 923 20
- Moneysoft Payroll 180 3
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 248 4
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 932 14
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 473 7
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 166 4
- Client right to working papers 1,544 11
- vat gross margins 190 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 208 4
- e mail 195 1
- Auto enrolment 580 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,356 6
- VAT on new build property 159 2
- Auto enrolment 300 9
- SAGE 50 2011 160 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,633 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,880 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 219 2
- NHS finance professionals 670
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 412
- Foreign Pension Contribution 381
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 368
- vat gross profit percentage margins 363
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 352
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 312
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 279
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 242
- IFA income recognition & reporting 214