What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Start of letting business when property owner took lodgers prior to letting out 42 1
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 59 2
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 74 2
- Self Ass. Return 258 4
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 257 11
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 198 10
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 345 9
- Child benefit charge 715 10
- Furniture Holiday Let & Capital Allowances 201 6
- Incorrect CIS Invoices from Subcontractors 89 4
- Do you lose losses on cessation 277 9
- SA800 Returns 136 3
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,238 20
- Corporation Tax 213 9
- Company name change question... 76 1
- CGT and 2nd property 972 14
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 98 1
- Late payment payroll 173 2
- Deferred Tax 225 9
- New Boiler at Rental Property 511 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 813
- Copy Wanted 530
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 483
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 473
- Latest phishing scam 322
- Entrepreneurs' relief 301
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 268
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 264
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 262
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 167