What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Overlap profit 361 8
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,011 17
- VAT on Security Services to Foreign Companies. 87 3
- NHS England and the Off Payroll Worker Team 129 3
- Do accountants work at home? 644 13
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 327 5
- Summer festivals! 212 5
- Can I pay into a pension? 173 3
- The Accountancy Party: What’s in your manifesto? 180 4
- Personal Expenses 215 5
- Furnished Holiday Lets & VAT 153 6
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 471 10
- Accountants Qualifications 302 3
- SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS 86 1
- US Company charging VAT. How to account 167 2
- PPR for transferee spouse 86 1
- Rogue Accountant 3,969 58
- Where has Portia gone? 6,238 120
- How to introduce funds in to a Limited by guarantee company 88 1
- ER Relief 121 2