What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 34 1
- Regaining my qualification 34 1
- Shareholder agreement 120 3
- Tax code for Companies House fees 103 1
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 188 3
- Company Reorganisation 120 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 624 10
- Employee Loan 161 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 447 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 562 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 100 1
- Wear and tear allowance 442 6
- Accountants' Error 599 12
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 333 6
- Buying accountancy practice 622 10
- Paperless office 1,072 7
- Accountant Error 393 6
- Auto enrolment 141 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 410 5
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 281 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,442
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 749
- Any views 684
- HMRC Employers Diary 519
- International interest certificate 419
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 380
- Sale of business 343
- NOVA 250
- Advertising services? 242
- IRIS Open Books problem 235