What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 439 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 230 5
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 44 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 152 3
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,767 13
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 34 2
- Deduction from Salary 748 21
- Company struck off 207 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,402 53
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 216 2
- Opening Balances 277 6
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 269 6
- Employment Allowance 401 7
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 361 12
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 485 9
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 368 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 282 1
- West Bromich Albion 360 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,919 61
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 444 10
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 648
- Cancelled 402
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 347
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 324
- How not to compose an email 324
- Probiz 311
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 291
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 226
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 203