What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Time to ditch Sage? 394 8
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 138 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 430 8
- Fees 432 5
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 503 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 277 3
- www.pool.adzio 131 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 162 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,870 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 276 3
- HMRC Post 560 7
- Transactions with directors 472 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 309 9
- Non VAT invoices 242 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 246 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,430 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 272 5
- Form 17 Download 190 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 589 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 406 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 417
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 369
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 250
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 213
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 189
- AIA 186
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 181