What is the main benefit of an umbrella company
I've had little to do with umbrella companies but a family member has been offered a year's interim post at a large organisation and can either run via the agency as an employee or arrange an umbrella company (UC) appointment.
From my quick reading the UC employs him and, because the arrangement falls under IR35, uses any expenses he wants to claim and their own admin fee to reduce the deemed salary upon which he suffers PAYE. Under the agency employment route I guess he'll be paid as normal but could claim the same expenses on his tax return to gain the tax relief.
So, simplistically, in addition to what appears a large % to the agency (compared to the UC fee) and the NI saving from the reduced salary under the UC, he appears to be far better off with the UC arrangement.
I haven't worked out the holiday pay difference yet as I can't quite follow what happens under the UC but from what I read the hourly rate he gets from the UC during his working weeks includes holiday pay, whereas the agency pay him throughout the entire year at work or on holiday.
I might have got the wrong end of several sticks here but any pointers would be appreciated.
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 166 4
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 150 11
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 138 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 65 1
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,661 68
- Loss on disposal and impairment 54 1
- Are HMRC getting it right? 99 1
- Comments on this scenario 131 3
- PPR election - what do you think? 226 7
- Penalties 116 1
- SAGE con 231 4
- rates of pay query 226 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 97 2
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 201 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 115 1
- Overpayment relief claim 160 5
- Charity reserves 134 3
- Have i messed up? 680 10
- Year end 370 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 234 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,020
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 557
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 364
- Tax efficient holding company structure 290
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 277
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 215
- Charge out rates in London? 214
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 175
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 151