What is the point?
Just started acting for a new client who previously submitted their own tax returns. They are employed and have income from self-employment.
On looking at the previous tax returns the client had never actually completed any self-employed pages but declared the self-employed income and expenditure on the employed pages in addition to the employed pages for his actual employment.
They have been doing this for years and HMRC never even asked the question why have we no record of this employment and why are you claiming in excess of £10,000 employment related expenses.
What is the point in working hard to submit correct figures to HMRC when it is clear they seem to pay little regard to what is submitted by taxpayers.
Perhaps if HMRC got their act together and collected tax revenues as they should, we would all be better off.
To back this up I wrote to George and David recently pointing out a number of issues where HMRC continue to make errors resulting in tax not being collected by the exchequer. I received a one paragraph reply saying HMRC is always trying to improve.
In other words no one gives a xxxx whether the right tax is being collected or not.
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 61 3
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 377 11
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,512 36
- company loss, Can he start again?? 77 4
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 70 3
- Personal consumption by landlord 214 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 84 3
- Early repayment of CIS deductions - sole trader 98 5
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 234 1
- VAT chargeable or not? 219 4
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 416 8
- Company Fuel - Reimbursement to avoid Benefit in Kind 60 4
- Charity reserves 345 6
- Property scam victim 231 3
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 119 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 713 16
- Software to use 114 3
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 63 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 163 6
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 107 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,066
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 567
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 378
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 284
- Charge out rates in London? 230
- Interest on Loan to a Company 182
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 166
- Agent fees to sell business 152
- Alphabet shares 146
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 143