What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Anybody still doing returns? 329 12
- HMRC filing meltdown? 750 25
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 622 14
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 352 6
- no utr 149 7
- LLP formed in 2013 40 1
- Tax Returns for non residents 144 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,053 47
- Capital Loss 34 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 69 2
- Clothing 455 11
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 199 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 141 7
- Practice management 425 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 111 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,668 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,696 22
- Rent a room scheme query. 227 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 306 13
- Why do I do this every year 582 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 943
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 659
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 610
- Latest phishing scam 590
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 427
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 320
- Scratch Head 255
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 244
- Sabbatical payments 209
- Negligible Value Claim 187