What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 171 4
- 27,000 Really? 1,156 38
- What are options for non CA firm 2,834 60
- Legal title not in the company name 797 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 346 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 314 8
- Opening Balances 208 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 591 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 122 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 95 1
- This is getting boring 623 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 268 7
- pension paid by company? 124 3
- inheritance tax 429 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 351 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 231 4
- State pension 304 3
- Accountancy Career 150 1
- CIC Company 658 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,823 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 642
- Cancelled 396
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 355
- Cancelled 338
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 310
- Probiz 306
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 280
- How not to compose an email 269
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 259
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 224