What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Account and Taxable Profit 126 8
- Windows10 79 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 600 24
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,656 36
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 290 6
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 445 25
- Class 2 NIC 179 3
- A thursday afternoon muse 158 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 367 6
- Probate services 400 8
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 850 5
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 219 6
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 777 14
- An IT question 270 6
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 325 9
- SDLT 334 9
- Windows 10 anyone? 321 7
- Can an owner hold company money 247 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 451 9
- Ireland 446 1
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 686
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 323
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 291
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 244
- Payroll manager and the cloud 215
- Is the APN valid 195