What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Share transfer question 267 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 406 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 201 5
- New Employers Helpline 126 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 216 5
- Overlap relief 719 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,287 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 187 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 191 4
- VAT Query 184 2
- Sacked my first client 648 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 415 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 227 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,270 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 621 11
- Trades and deadlines 146 3
- How to pay national insurance 648 18
- New Website Look 1,078 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 277 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 235 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 421
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187