What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Which software for practice books? 302 7
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 124 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,626 33
- Accountant software 284 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 444 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 75 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 420 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 229 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,882 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 74 1
- Renting property to yourself 317 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 386 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 100 4
- register as self employed? 122 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 142 1
- VAT enquiry 90 1
- Write off of former director's loan 235 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 259 4
- Capital gain or not? 147 3
- EC VAT 161 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 641
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 485
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 276
- How to format a stock book 233
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 195
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 183
- Tax efficient holding company structure 175
- Investment property company accounts template 162
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 157