What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 18 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 33 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 137 1
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 57 1
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 695 6
- US royalties 20 1
- What's in a name ? 93 2
- Sole trader mix up 236 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 865 27
- Help Required 188 5
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 194 4
- Filing company accounts 107 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 465 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 139 5
- Company Name - Number of Characters 243 7
- Bulk Invoicing 143 5
- late second payment on account 106 1
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 149 6
- How much did you pay for your website 1,354 22
- Is a dormant CT600 needed? 150 2
- CTA study material 686
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 417
- Employment related securities question 259
- AIM Stocks and IHT 240
- ATED Penalties 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 191
- Trust for Employee 178
- Expat pension contributions? 174
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 141
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 111