What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Companies House Search 380 5
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,672 33
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 692 10
- Employment Intermediaries 104 3
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 433 5
- CGT on selling company shares 251 9
- do i need an online accounting software 225 4
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 192 3
- Moneysoft Payroll 689 16
- Property gift to sister 311 8
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 127 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,705 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 173 3
- Who gets the CGT deduction 306 4
- VAT training 433 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 293 7
- 31st october deadline 420 6
- RTI Late Registration query 162 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 288 2
- Payroll software 226 1
- NHS finance professionals 721
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 409
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 392
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 388
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 347
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 309
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 292
- Incorporating doctors 237
- IFA income recognition & reporting 236