What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 47 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 27 2
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 452 13
- CGT history of shares 180 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 146 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 185 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 336 6
- CGT on sale of let property 126 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 186 2
- how do i get UTR 147 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 92 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 239 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 139 1
- Your comments please 317 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 195 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 133 2
- EIS 199 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 135 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 118 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 131 1
- Moving away from CCH software 969
- QROP pension input amounts 453
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 398
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 384
- fraud 306
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 284
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 246
- Construction CIS LLP Company 231
- EPS and CIS deductions 225
- Out of time or not? 211