What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 80 2
- Help 139 9
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 209 9
- Where has Portia gone? 5,027 109
- Overlap profit 292 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 318 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,064 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 126 1
- Payments on account 185 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 78 1
- What do your junior staff do? 523 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 649 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 413 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 535 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 132 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,942 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 349 3
- On the high seas 115 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 148 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 859 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 853
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 342
- How do you do it 337
- Digital marketing focus group 313
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181