What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Donations (to a school!) 13 1
- Beaters and allowable exenses 68 2
- Family loan 210 7
- Repairs after a rental business ends 122 5
- Standard 'email' template system 604 10
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 42 2
- Shutting down a company with creditors 652 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,682 248
- FL Memo - Any Good 463 8
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 23 1
- VAT Romania - how to register 165 3
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 292 8
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 227 4
- Looking for subcontract work! 222 5
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 186 9
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,648 39
- Consolidation of new group 73 2
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 249 3
- Recycle old study books 450 11
- Being Tax relevant 431 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,078
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 350
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 293
- National Insurance 252
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 227
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 227
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 212
- Payments on account coded out?? 211
- Non Resident 170
- Franchise income and costs 158