What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 2,632 54
- Personal Allowance for non residents 362 9
- Vat 82 3
- PAYE 97 3
- xerocon 66 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,098 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 156 1
- VAT: option to tax 112 2
- IHT dilemma 299 11
- Share Valuation 66 2
- Dormant company or not? 314 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 94 1
- Best form of debt recovery 166 3
- Backdating VAT claim 52 1
- WIP recognition for builders 377 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 306 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 190 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 119 2
- Share Issue 219 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 150 11
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 655
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 520
- Auto enrolment excuses 501
- Removed post 369
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 347
- Social investment tax relief 161
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 154
- Call Centre Data Costs 154
- Digita Hosted Software 139
- option to tax 127