What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Directors bonus 89 2
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 250 3
- Get it off your chest 160 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 165 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 118 3
- break even point 1,098 33
- The return 715 27
- Sell business after leaving country 318 6
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 63 1
- IHT Query 390 8
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 86 2
- Charity accounting 61 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 992 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 147 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 138 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 354 2
- Limited Company trading status. 326 8
- Payroll 180 6
- Classic cars investment 510 14
- Vat registration 172 5
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 546
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 347
- Clubs and Taxable Income 287
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 269
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 205
- Outsource Data Entry 172
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172