What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 944 29
- You know its over 325 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 483 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 212 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 165 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 153 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 232 3
- Cocaine anyone? 502 8
- Late Registration for VAT 481 13
- EIS/SEIS 136 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 272 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 410 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 418 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 710 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 550 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 586 4
- Personal pension 399 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,213 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 168 3
- Hive up 489
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 454
- corporate hierarchy 434
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 216
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 206
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 197
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 175
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 173