What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 177 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 208 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 426 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 257 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 111 2
- Was I rude 801 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 291 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 214 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 292 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 287 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 199 6
- Non-compete agreement 185 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 200 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 147 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 110 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 101 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 178 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 311 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 263 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,485
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 824
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 396
- NOVA 295
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 207
- Bonus Bonds 179
- Management expenses for investment company 176
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 169