What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,250 23
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 40 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 569 10
- Agent online self service 601 14
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 346 7
- Accountant won't release working papers 3,012 54
- Are Property Design Exhibitions Claimable 105 2
- Not renewing AAT 755 9
- What's the best software for this? 437 4
- Email encryption 1,425 15
- Next Move 783 21
- Zoho Books 194 1
- Self-assessment statistics 2,516 59
- Transmission of ISA 174 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 246 2
- CGT of shares gifted 398 6
- New dividend taxation 595 3
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 200 1
- Company car v company allowance 341 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 454 9
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 675
- Property letting & CAs 408
- 2015 tax year end 401
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 399
- FCA regulated company in a small group 350
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 324
- Costly Accounting Software contract 246
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- DTA tie-breaker issue 222
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 211