What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Let Property Campaign 149 2
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 32 1
- What would you do? 319 2
- Taxable income for previous years 349 8
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 59 1
- Depreciation on purchase of software 133 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 178 3
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,296 16
- App recommendations 321 4
- Defend your local inspector? 616 7
- accountant in Bristol 497 1
- New Company Director PAYE Question 757 20
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,130 19
- How long should one give Aweb … 703 9
- Resident and Non-resident 760 7
- Benefit in Kind - Director loan or not? 160 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 411 16
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 138 2
- Self employed Self Assessment 396 2
- Applying for clearance before 5 years share ownership 172 2
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 354
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 276
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 251
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 251
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 242
- Electric Car 193
- S222 Charge 184
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 171
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 171