What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Sage payroll alternatives 353 4
- When to include value of import in Box 7 69 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 166 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 309 7
- Capital gain? 84 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,253 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 275 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 352 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 418 8
- vat help for catering concession 277 10
- IHT dilemma 1,157 17
- Tax return software for remote working 234 3
- CGT 338 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 324 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 113 2
- Compliance check 519 13
- sole trader accountant 795 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 406 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 606 21
- More AE! 512 11
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,085
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 781
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 466
- Digita Hosted Software 282
- Call Centre Data Costs 253
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 229
- Credit where credit's due....... 223
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 209
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 190
- Director phone costs 153