What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 194 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 267 13
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 122 2
- Prefer to start accepting Online Card Payments 106 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 890 25
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 220 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 124 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 253 7
- New Email Extensions 138 1
- SA302 201 3
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,092 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 274 2
- Dental practice incorpration 126 1
- Audit rules 164 4
- Go Cardless 283 8
- business entertaining deductibility 146 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 176 2
- R & D 110 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 91 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 167 1
- Xtuple 502
- Qtac payroll for bureau 336
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 284
- Industrial & Provident Societies 277
- Mehjoo 221
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 221
- New strategic report 173
- Domain name sale and limited company 160
- South African Government Pension 156
- CIS schemes 154