What qualifies as a class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
Hope you are well. I'm looking at Alphabet Share arrangements and come across a stumbling block that has caused me to question my current understanding that dividends can be issued at varying rates on different share classes.
Assume that A and B Shares are issued and rank parri passu. It is desired that Dividends are to be issued at differing rates on each Class.
My reading the Companies Act 2006 s629 suggests that the label of A and B Shares is irrelevant where equal rights exist. Does this render any sort of Alphabet Share business impossible, bearing in mind the shares are likely to have to rank parri passu in order to be effective to avoid ITEPA ERS provisions.
That being the case a Dividend's legality would be assessed by reference to a larger required amount of retained profits in the Company because all shares of identical rights would be considered of the same Class.
So my questions are:
- What defines a Class of shares for the purposes of issuing a Dividend?
- In an Alphabet Share scenario is it possible to issue differing rates of Dividend to each "Class"?
- Does a Company incorporated under CA1985 differ?
- Errors in prior year accounts 565 17
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 768 11
- Luncheon vouchers - Class 1 NICs 71 3
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 209 3
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 206 1
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 306 1
- Best apps for clients 545 5
- Is anyone selling the CIOT manual essential law for the tax practitioners? 114 1
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 299 3
- CG34 approved "without prejudice" 128 2
- Client Death 424 7
- Consolidated Accounts Software 207 3
- Peer to Peer lending 307 7
- Loan to realted parties 150 3
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 80 1
- monthly payments 253 3
- Related party disclosures 109 2
- Loan from one LTD co. to another LTd Co. 124 1
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 173 2
- Free Shares ? 150 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 592
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 464
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 362
- Sorry ignore me 355
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 292
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 270
- Cancelled 218
- Cancelled 192
- C79 Discrepancy 153
- Bartercard 153