When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Signifcant Debts skew SA Tax Liability 1,376 23
- Reversing opening balances 78 2
- Vat Receipts 274 8
- Is it just me... 135 3
- Reducing payments on account 266 6
- File naming best practice 561 20
- Sage bookkeeping 59 2
- How to declare profits on death of partner 189 8
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 1,458 47
- Non sequitur 1,623 21
- Hmrc agent 213 1
- HRP and child benefit 65 2
- Accounting for Volunteer Vouchers 50 2
- Sole trader - change year end 79 3
- Vat on insurance 195 2
- Tradesman client in poor health involved in something dodgy 768 21
- Working Tax Credits 163 5
- LLP - Member leaving 447 13
- As if we haven't got enough to do at this time of year! 458 6
- Value Shifting 104 1
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 522
- Alphabet shares 356
- confusion about 225
- Membership of SPA 207
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 201
- Maximum AIA Claimable 186
- Alternate 174
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 143
- Tax treatment of lost partnership capital 138
- Recommend commission tracking software? 136