When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- do i need an online accounting software 106 3
- CGT on selling company shares 122 6
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 64 2
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 362 4
- Moneysoft Payroll 636 15
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 75 1
- Property gift to sister 258 7
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,669 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 157 3
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,605 28
- Who gets the CGT deduction 276 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 645 9
- VAT training 372 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 281 7
- 31st october deadline 398 6
- RTI Late Registration query 157 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 266 2
- Payroll software 197 1
- Accounting for display stands 285 7
- Companies House Search 336 3
- NHS finance professionals 713
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 387
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 345
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 289
- Incorporating doctors 230
- IFA income recognition & reporting 228