When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 68 2
- Depreciation 341 7
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 130 5
- CGT and 2nd property 471 10
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 785 21
- Knuckle down one week to go! 294 7
- SA800 Returns 42 1
- state pension statement 128 6
- Bookkeeping question 417 4
- Entertaining - definition? 208 1
- Deferred Tax 125 6
- Late payment payroll 80 1
- New Boiler at Rental Property 384 4
- client can't/won't pay 694 16
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 317 1
- Split year treatment 78 4
- AIA 298 7
- Help - Capital Allowance 321 8
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 327 8
- Window Comb Binder Cover 258 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 809
- Copy Wanted 516
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 475
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 464
- Latest phishing scam 309
- Entrepreneurs' relief 289
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 261
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 258
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 254
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 160