When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 739 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,148 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 699 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 65 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 254 8
- recompense capital input 191 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 104 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 228 2
- CT losses carry back 95 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 162 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 766 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 419 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,276 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 144 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 230 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 992 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 214 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 258 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 564
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 184