When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 300 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 212 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 115 2
- VAT & capitalising 98 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,963 36
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 199 3
- Invoice Help 236 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 164 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 236 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 228 3
- Sorry ignore me 900 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 582 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,262 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 808 20
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 357 5
- Free Shares ? 245 2
- Is this a scam? 569 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 300 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 282 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 155 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 532
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 191
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 175
- Married woman dies owning marital home 165
- What's the market like for temps? 165