When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Limited company buying a car 139 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 257 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 457 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 543 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 167 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 106 2
- ACCA practice certificates 492 5
- Limited company buying director's car 286 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 74 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 90 1
- WC's and capital allowances 172 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 300 13
- Dress code 1,545 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 477 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 256 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 377 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 472 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 184 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 105 3
- CTA study material 769
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 477
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 396
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 236
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 174
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147