When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 96 3
- The stupidity continues 555 21
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 511 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 193 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 106 1
- transactions after account have been closed 137 3
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,335 25
- New Employers Helpline 193 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 205 3
- Software recommendations 265 1
- Share transfer question 372 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 316 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 178 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,431 19
- Overlap relief 754 19
- What is IRIS World like? 363 8
- Pension contributions 373 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 501 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 193 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 275 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 438
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 434
- WIP Software 297
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 290
- No payroll scheme in place 234
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 205
- Is there anything wrong with this? 199
- Small Part Disposal of Property 187
- Uncommercial property business 179