When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Irish Taxation 157 5
- dividend 197 11
- Fee protection 937 18
- overdrawn directors loan 252 5
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 194 3
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 263 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 75 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,203 47
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 93 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 443 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 133 3
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 146 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 259 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 192 3
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 327 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 520 6
- Drector renting room to company 113 1
- Off site storage 168 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 606 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 262 7
- Xtuple 568
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 343
- Domain name sale and limited company 234
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 212
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 212
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 183
- Tax on damages received 183
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152