When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Do we have to honour her notice? 499 5
- Stand alone practice management software 1,249 21
- SSAS Pension scheme 78 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 75 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 244 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 554 13
- Do I need to see receipts ? 743 11
- ICPA 493 8
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 289 3
- Physiotherapy 62 1
- Changing shareholding ratio 125 3
- Community Interest Company 65 1
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 118 1
- SA1 forms 365 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 144 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 136 1
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 154 5
- VAT on services to EC customer 177 3
- Delayed option to tax 189 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 871 23
- Sainsbury's mangement 825
- Avanti Accounts 674
- Have I done the right thing? 652
- Calling franchise accountants 633
- Continuity Agreement 627
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 326
- Advice please! 232
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 216