When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Council setting up 'sham' LLP as trading arm? 102 1
- subsistence: help with BIM47705 interpretation 34 1
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 223 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 2,044 73
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,440 25
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,959 47
- inflation rate year on year 196 4
- Accounts Question 174 5
- Deleted question? 772 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,231 67
- MAAT vs ACCA 743 13
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 673 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 466 4
- VAT Return Errors 211 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 179 5
- Yorkshire Day 628 38
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 204 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 390 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 157 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 300 7
- Cancelled 473
- Cancelled 389
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 379
- Probiz 360
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 265
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 240
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 235
- More spam 187
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 155