When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 53 3
- Time recording 79 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 249 4
- Transferring rental property to limited company 430 13
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 207 6
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 94 2
- Land Registry 261 3
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 514 8
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 956 13
- Auto Enrolment 663 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 799 19
- Company Number 10000000 363 4
- Advertising Tips? 299 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,514 29
- IR35 361 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 412 12
- Revenue phishing examples 232 1
- iris update 11.9.2 206 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 452 13
- 2015 tax year end 541 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 733
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 432
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 374
- Costly Accounting Software contract 366
- Directors' advances and credits 283
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 251
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 233
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 210
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195