When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 165 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 205 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,230 35
- Mortgage Reference 551 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 255 7
- Insovent companies 885 19
- New Build 216 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,297 48
- BrightPay quirks 230 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 808 20
- Website Content 185 1
- Personal Tax 631 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 201 1
- USA Tax Query 315 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 441 5
- last minute request 656 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 369 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 403 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,743 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 988 6