When does trading commence?
If an individual decides that he would like to do up a property and sell it on, then he clearly becomes a property developer. He then goes to look for properties that are suitable. This takes a number of week using fuel to visit properties. He makes telephone calls etc. He eventually identifies a property which is suitable. In the process, he has incurred expenditure for aborted legal fees. However, when does trading commence?
1. Is it the day he makes the decision?
2. The day he starts looking.
3. The day he finds something?
4. The day that he sells the renovated property.
So then when does he become liable to register as self employed and start paying NIC?
Also, in respect of legal fees for the aborted purchase, would anyone agree they are deductible. Obviously if it was for a property which was to let out then it is capital and cannot be recovered, but this is clearly a trade. In that case I presume they would be deductible. After all, if he was doing up and selling on 30+ properties a year and one fell through, then the legal fees would be deductible.
Finally, if the year end comes before the sale, I presume that the loss would be available for either carry back or set off in the usual way. (think HMRC v the rabbit breeder)
- Annual Report - How to? 101 3
- 15% restirction on lease cars 47 1
- CGT on 'listed co return of capital via B share' 50 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,021 14
- Investment property? 616 5
- PAYE 106 2
- Quote for client 323 8
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 257 6
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 104 2
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 198 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 50 1
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 90 1
- Investment Unrealised Gains Accounting Treatment 73 1
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 291 6
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 272 10
- error on companies house accounts 913 20
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 204 3
- ATT Exam tips and study help 134 2
- Client's company struck off 1,900 21
- Refurbised Pub 192 4
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 517
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 454
- EPS and CIS deductions 320
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 304
- Construction CIS LLP Company 295
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 279
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 228
- SAGE winforecast 218
- Overdrawn director account 202
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 200