Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Tax residence 90 2
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 112 1
- Which software for practice books? 305 7
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 129 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,633 33
- Accountant software 293 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 449 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 93 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 424 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 230 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,883 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 83 1
- Renting property to yourself 324 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 386 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 104 4
- register as self employed? 130 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 156 1
- VAT enquiry 102 1
- Write off of former director's loan 242 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 265 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 646
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 485
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 276
- How to format a stock book 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 195
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 186
- Tax efficient holding company structure 176
- Investment property company accounts template 164
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 160