Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 159 4
- Tax Point as opposed to VAT point 122 2
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,088 13
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 77 1
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,877 30
- Friday Question 337 6
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,038 6
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 124 2
- Outside the scope VAT box 6 207 7
- Swimming Pool Income 309 4
- Coming off flat rate VAT 293 2
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 475 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,933 44
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 262 6
- Support / ticketing software 388 12
- NEST web services & Moneysoft 649 8
- Company Number 10000000 1,200 15
- Tax code notices 179 1
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 677 15
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 312 6
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 482
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 293
- DTA tie-breaker issue 288
- CGT for NOn UK residents 254
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 233
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 226
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 224
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 214
- Just checking re PSA 207