Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Undeclared rental income 1,407 14
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,239 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 58 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 244 3
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,006 11
- PRR 548 16
- Cash basis 93 3
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 190 2
- Partially exempt? 298 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 239 3
- Lorry Drivers 289 4
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 500 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 93 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 230 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 205 4
- Money laundering POCA 371 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 94 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 182 3
- client threatening legal action 2,027 29
- Incorporation Relief 183 3
- Skandia using wrong address 522
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 286
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 284
- Employee rewards 273
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 246
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 237
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 229
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 136