Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- How much to charge for payroll? 721 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 138 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 113 4
- BTC vs Digita 970 29
- Seeking a tax case 245 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 275 4
- See you all on the other side 220 5
- VATABLE Income 280 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 202 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 262 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 403 6
- P11D software 91 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 448 9
- VAT - business splitting 232 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 586 16
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 409 7
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 955 16
- Jersey - VAT 125 2
- how to file Late annual Accounts for dormant company ? 298 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme for a Welder 228 2
- HMRC Joint Filing 521
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 392
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 351
- IRIS and FRS 102 324
- USA help 281
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 244
- Capital gains on rental property 227
- Sage Coretime 215
- Capitalising Finance Lease 211
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 200