Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- What does it mean?? 326 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 283 13
- VAT on motor expenses 886 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 75 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 56 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,703 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,298 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 84 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 136 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 158 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 187 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 153 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 740 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 385 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 203 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 328 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 110 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 390 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 92 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 326 15
- Skandia using wrong address 1,546
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 852
- International interest certificate 469
- NOVA 327
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 229
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 217
- Bonus Bonds 208
- Management expenses for investment company 206
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 199
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 186