Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Cash in Hand 147 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 182 5
- are receipts needed? 634 17
- SA302's anyone?? 616 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 331 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 126 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 351 12
- Busines software 162 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 196 6
- Converting a barn for business use 187 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 314 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 317 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 485 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 322 3
- Bookkeping software 731 7
- Clogged Losses 282 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 275 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 661 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 274 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 129 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 522
- NOVA 372
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 326
- Management expenses for investment company 275
- Bonus Bonds 269
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 185
- P11D benefit received by widow 164
- EXACT ONLINE 160
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 158