Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Option to tax: effect on VAT 45 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,045 39
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 351 7
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,716 26
- Errors in prior year accounts 902 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 583 11
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 638 6
- Unallocated client money 445 10
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 2,023 41
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,473 26
- Expenses Apps 264 5
- VAT & capitalising 168 3
- Final year's accounts 193 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 396 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 335 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 300 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 172 2
- Invoice Help 271 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 217 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 282 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 627
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 299
- Cancelled 287
- Cancelled 247
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 194
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 179
- What's the market like for temps? 169