Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- CIC Company 519 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,335 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 282 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 862 18
- NALS Accountants Report 113 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,478 35
- Legal title not in the company name 285 10
- Dividend dates 570 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 136 3
- Sole properietor 191 4
- transitioning payroll 247 8
- dividend proposals 124 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 243 2
- Deduction from Salary 305 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 207 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,739 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 95 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 440 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 163 2
- 12 Pay Problems 257 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 364
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 312
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 274
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 232
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 231
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 204
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176