Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Non-Taxable Expenses Reimbursement 13 1
- Legal advisor recommendation please 47 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 337 4
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,038 5
- HMRC Postal Delays 121 3
- Landing clients 601 19
- Time to react ? ? ? 606 6
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 79 2
- Dividends 105 3
- Closure of PAYE scheme 93 1
- cash the returned VAT cheque 305 3
- Rent a room for half a year, fully let for the other half? 85 1
- Signed accounts for bank 442 9
- Termination Payment 392 14
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 193 6
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 291 4
- Business lending another business money (UK) 201 5
- flat rate scheme 2,161 40
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 129 1
- Opening a Quick books file 193 2