Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 29 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 44 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 43 1
- two business from one premises 168 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 35 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 236 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 380 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 306 4
- Merry Christmas 98 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 71 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,068 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 410 13
- Childcare vouchers 346 7
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,421 9
- Using home as clients registered address 141 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 528 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 110 2
- How much does the company pay 714 30
- AIA 291 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 181 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 506
- corporate hierarchy 469
- Advice - 321
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 273
- WWOOFers 264
- The booking.com con 245
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 240
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 217
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177