Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Capital Gain? 406 11
- IHT Query 63 2
- Reversing out RTI 114 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 297 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 847 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 300 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 271 6
- BrightPay 612 18
- Classic cars investment 241 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 227 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 322 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 345 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 272 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 270 2
- H&W company 249 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 204 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 173 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 184 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 810 32
- VAT silly question 2,416 56
- Benchmarking 496
- Possible Partnership? 439
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 414
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 413
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 359
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 214
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 211
- Clubs and Taxable Income 203
- Income tax on foreign dividends 194
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 188