Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 13 1
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 980 16
- Tax return to date of death/R27 80 2
- Gross Profit Percentage 435 10
- Preparing a consolidated TB 267 7
- does a hybrid car with CO2 92g/km bought April 2014 459 5
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 237 8
- Companies House 355 7
- Medical benefit on low paid wife of director? 112 5
- Date of acquisition for capital allowances 122 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 91 2
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 229 6
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 253 8
- Self employment trap - pension 432 5
- Awkward IP 700 10
- Prepare for Chaos 493 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,727 69
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 213 3
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,681 29
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 616 14
- CTA study material 610
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 374
- Employment related securities question 231
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 204
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 180
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 141
- Expat pension contributions? 136
- Trust for Employee 131
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 122