Which area of tax shall I specialise my practice in?
I started a practice a couple of years ago and got some great advice from this forum. Growing the practice has been challenging and I've realised that being a general practitioner in London means that every other practice is my direct competition. I regularly advise my clients to specialise in a niche so as to trade on expertise and service rather than price alone and figured it was time for me to follow my own advice.
My clients are currently micro-businesses and small businesses. The largest has a turnover of around £2 million but most are closer to £250k. Winning clients is really tough as our approach is quite similar to a couple of much larger firms in the area, which means that price becomes the number one negotiating tool. I could build up a practice of price-sensitive clients but with the practice still small (less than 50 companies), I want to explore other avenues.
I was thinking that, if I specialised in an area of tax, I could take on larger clients for short consultancy work or on a retainer. The only problem is that there are so many options. I have looked into corporation tax, capital allowances in the real estate sector and international VAT as options but have no feel for what the competition levels are like or the earnings potential.
Does anyone have any experience of specialising in an area of taxation? Which sector would you target and why? Which area of taxation do you think is best to target? Which area of tax is most financially lucrative?
I will of course be looking for training next so any advice on that would be very handy too. I don't mind having to train for a couple of years as I am certain that being a general practitioner with hundreds of small clients, each pushing me for every penny, is not the way I want to go.
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 210 1
- Starting new accounting business 305 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 143 4
- error on companies house accounts 735 18
- RTI penalties 92 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 515 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 153 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 309 5
- US Sales Tax 112 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 368 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 199 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 149 1
- Group Relief 130 4
- R&D Credits 104 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 251 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 133 2
- Clients 684 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 327 4
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 465 10
- Sage Payroll 121 1
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 482
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 445
- EPS and CIS deductions 299
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 291
- Construction CIS LLP Company 284
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 249
- SAGE winforecast 204
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 187
- Overdrawn director account 173