Who is entitled to UK personal allowances?
I looked at the HMRC notes on the UK-Australia double taxation treaty.
It says that from 6 April 2010 a taxpayer needs to be an Australian citizen to be able to claim UK personal allowances if they are resident in Australia
I phoned HMRC and a technical person told me that any UK citizen can claim UK personal allowances.
I have looked at the legislation and it contradicts the advice I was given.
Can a UK citizen resident in Australia in 2010-2011 claim UK personal allowances?
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 117 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 201 5
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 662 7
- EBT 159 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 133 8
- deleting customers on Sage 50 116 5
- Giving a seminar 500 28
- Joint Filing Help 84 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 169 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 246 13
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 411 17
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,168 32
- Interest on Loan to a Company 245 2
- Writing off bad debts 164 4
- Added years superannuation 42 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 97 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 341 7
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 56 1
- Care to help a student out? 274 9
- Residency 91 day rule 189 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,195
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 599
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 403
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 186
- Agent fees to sell business 186
- Alphabet shares 184
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 175
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 155
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 154