Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- Staff 165 4
- Software for Accounts layout 380 8
- Income prior to company formation 354 10
- rental property, pre letting costs 161 4
- VAT on farm machinery sold 364 7
- Non-resident company director 106 2
- are we that stupid 957 21
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 147 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 743 13
- letter of reference 196 3
- Can this be done? 191 1
- Capital Allowance & AIA 127 1
- Foster Care 127 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 351 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 103 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 303 3
- Flat Management Company 217 1
- Share structure questions - close company 196 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 182 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 345 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 331
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 251
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 217
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 217
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 161
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 155
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 153
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148