Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- Partially exempt? 110 3
- OBK 314 12
- Proof of Delivery 190 7
- Mileage claim 160 7
- Auto-Enrolment 3,581 172
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 69 3
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 323 8
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 222 9
- Property expense - legal fees 142 3
- Research expenses for authors 270 6
- Investor exit 80 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 127 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 239 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 122 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 138 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,703 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 416 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,767 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 137 2
- What type of Trust? 103 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 510
- Skandia using wrong address 459
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 268
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 246
- Employee rewards 245
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 214
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 197
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 158