Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 21 1
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 77 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,054 24
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 280 8
- Write off of former director's loan 363 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 214 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 204 13
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 119 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 254 4
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 184 6
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 213 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 174 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 313 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 217 6
- SME Direct Debit 683 11
- Accountant software 446 13
- Accounting jobs in the UK 170 2
- CIS gross status review 128 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 135 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 386 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 763
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 486
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 303
- How to format a stock book 268
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 218
- Tax efficient holding company structure 207
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 175
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165