Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,181 61
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,539 427
- Cash injection by shareholder 173 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 231 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 391 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,370 43
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 268 5
- 40% rule for travel expenses 202 1
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 328 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 277 8
- PRR 291 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 191 3
- corp tax software 364 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 452 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 476 7
- Which tax box 195 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 156 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 270 3
- References for clients 238 2
- Direct Debit - no receipts 181 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 465
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 283
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 152
- CIS paid under reg 9 145