Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,163 68
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 257 11
- Gift of property & improvements 91 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 321 5
- VAT Invoice 99 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 785 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 109 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 190 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 146 7
- General tax book with planning 119 1
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 129 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 425 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 351 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 239 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 174 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 255 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 157 4
- SA302's anyone?? 530 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,639 41
- Renting for military reasons 185 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,617
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 897
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 262
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- tax on apprenticeship income 169
- P11D benefit received by widow 148