Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 113 2
- Personal allowance 404 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 456 12
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 134 3
- Scams are not always obvious 685 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 106 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 105 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 87 3
- Related party disclosures 166 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 178 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 73 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 608 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 221 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 244 8
- Is this legal? 622 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 186 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,988 23
- Cells from many sheets 124 2
- Taxation of rental income 204 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 137 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,041
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 526
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 344
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 217
- fraud 215