Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 80 1
- CIS and Xero 259 1
- Mortgage Reference 851 12
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 194 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 129 2
- property capital gains 399 4
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 84 1
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 121 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 284 8
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 871 9
- Tips on meals 560 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,331 15
- S.455 Tax again 452 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 191 3
- Closing down loss-making company 798 15
- Stumped - IHT 612 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 161 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 499 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 418 14
- co-operatives & Societies 134 1
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 981
- Members in Public Practice 595
- Oplex Careers CPD 364
- Payroll manager and the cloud 291
- Is the APN valid 240
- Treatment of EIS relate back? 237
- Institute of Customer Services 235
- Kashflow payroll 228
- Class 4 NI due on 2 self employments 224
- Continuity of Practice 206