Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 546 19
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 261 5
- Losses carry forward to self employed 228 3
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 298 4
- FHL - hedge purchase 129 1
- Fees 509 6
- HMRC Post 599 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 462 8
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 452 8
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 299 3
- www.pool.adzio 186 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,889 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 294 3
- Transactions with directors 488 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 316 9
- Non VAT invoices 254 4
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,444 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 287 5
- Form 17 Download 203 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 603 28
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 770
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 421
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 371
- Electric Car 304
- S222 Charge 255
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 219
- IP trans to holding company 198
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 191
- AIA 189
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 185