Will HMRC have a problem with this
When I was made redundant in Dec 2011 I set up a limited company with me as sole director and shareholder. I immediately obtained a marketing consultancy which paid the company £20,000 but as time went on, I did not pursue it but left the money in the company bank account for a rainy day. Instead my sister and I began to work together on renovating a house with a view to making it a business. We have lived off our savings but only when I submitted my 2012 SA last week, it dawned on me that I have not managed this very well. In December 2012 I submitted the company annual return without making any changes to directors or SIC. The company tax reference date is 31/03/2013. I have filed the appointment of my sister as director from 1/1/13. I chose this date because it tied in with notifying PAYE that we were new starters and would be taking a salary.
I fear I've messed up
1. Is it okay to use the same limited company for property rental as well as the consultancy (although the consultancy has dried up)? We will soon be ready to let our property but have not seen any income yet.
2. Can we pay ourselves 8k each by 31/3/13, thereby taking our tax free allowance? Corp Tax on rest?
3. Could we make a second filing AP01 with my sister appointed as Director from 6 April 2012 and a second filing AR01 including her as director at end of December 2012. if i'd done it when we started working together I think it would have significantly reduced her Director NICs if spread across the year rather than for 3 months.
4. The plan is that we become equal shareholders but it hasn't been an issue so far because the initial 20k came from my consultancy and she has no expectations of any dividend.
I could kick myself for not dealing with it sooner but I can see why it might look contrived. If it's all in the same tax year might it be acceptable? Do you have any advice as to best handle it?
Thanks for any replies.
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 824 30
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 617 32
- IHT and cash gifts 96 2
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 388 4
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 315 9
- Practice management 174 2
- Flat Conversion Allowance 76 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 227 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 94 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 153 7
- Clothing 209 4
- VAT registration transfer 161 3
- Sponsorship & VAT 93 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 137 2
- Director drawings 421 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 325 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 109 1
- HMRC SA302s 222 3
- What does the "K" signify 445 7
- Director or self-employed 167 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 909
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 615
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 581
- Latest phishing scam 536
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 380
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 351
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 283
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 203
- Capital allowances in first basis period 192
- Sabbatical payments 180