Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Insovent companies 846 18
- Rounding errors on CT600 106 4
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,287 48
- BrightPay quirks 158 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 89 1
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 782 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,167 31
- Website Content 79 1
- Mortgage Reference 473 5
- Personal Tax 611 12
- New Build 143 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 112 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 147 1
- USA Tax Query 279 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 422 5
- last minute request 631 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 333 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 366 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,722 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 984 6