Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 159 5
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 872 19
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 449 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 132 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 165 7
- tagging in Iris accounts production for non standard item 102 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 84 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,844 155
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 99 1
- 'Find an accountant' 189 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 96 1
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 79 1
- Depreciation on property improvements 104 1
- Construction Industry Funding 108 5
- CGT advice on amicable divorce settlement 95 1
- How important are Journals? 325 9
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 720 15
- Company trading loss relief 271 4
- National Insurance 602 1
- Social Worker limited Co 127 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 490
- Skandia using wrong address 432
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 378
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 265
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 236
- Employee rewards 227
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 206
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 180
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 179