Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Using a PO Box address 44 2
- Late filing fees - worth appealing? 305 2
- Is an iPad a taxable benefit? 99 2
- Capital Gains Query 48 1
- Share restructure 254 9
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 406 7
- Unknown cash receipt 1,425 12
- Shareholder Loan write off 543 25
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 286 4
- CGT on Property 158 1
- Vat on sales invoice which includes expenses 140 3
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 730 19
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 348 9
- Gross sales to purchases 206 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 193 3
- Capital allowances 146 2
- RTI Filing 1,409 21
- Loan to a participator 167 4
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 381 7
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 122 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 715
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 482
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 318
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 309
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 255
- growth voucher supplier 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 192
- VAT on Gaming Machines 189
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 162
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 161