Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Transmission of ISA 25 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 159 4
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 160 2
- Next Move 700 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 149 2
- Self-assessment statistics 2,452 58
- Not renewing AAT 666 9
- CGT of shares gifted 376 6
- New dividend taxation 473 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,784 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 142 1
- Company car v company allowance 267 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 436 9
- Company formation and bank account 420 9
- Owning overseas property 330 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 290 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 266 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 707 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 710 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 266 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 666
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 397
- 2015 tax year end 394
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 393
- FCA regulated company in a small group 346
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 318
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 210
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204