Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Reposted question 21 1
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 725 14
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 250 7
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 262 1
- Know it alls (who don't) 719 17
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,603 51
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 636 21
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 180 3
- Incorporation with pending court case 116 2
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 352 17
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 137 3
- VAT on motor expenses 972 36
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 517 11
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 97 3
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 251 4
- Share swap 453 17
- CIS Deductions 149 6
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,853 28
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 468 14
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 871 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,567
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 865
- International interest certificate 477
- NOVA 333
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 243
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 220
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 211
- Help with tax codes on Sage 165
- Capital reduction 156