Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- practice planning 25 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,084 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 162 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 148 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,631 10
- Which address 1,056 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 582 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 97 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,495 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,212 44
- R&D tax claim 255 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 534 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 195 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 140 2
- Gift to employee 380 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 179 1
- Transfer of a business 129 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,152 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 420 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 122 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 484
- CTA study material 459
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 337
- Pre incorp expenses 319
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 260
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 212
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 164
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 138
- Employment related securities question 126