Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 34 1
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 75 3
- Your comments please 249 6
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 292 5
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 152 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 73 2
- EIS 179 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 65 2
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 76 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 91 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 180 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 87 1
- CGT history of shares 138 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 692 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 189 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 116 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 209 2
- Closing my business down 379 20
- Recording Calls 124 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 100 1
- Moving away from CCH software 960
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 390
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 371
- fraud 294
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 267
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 235
- Construction CIS LLP Company 222
- EPS and CIS deductions 215
- Out of time or not? 199