Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Stock of photos to capatilise 120 2
- Rogue Accountant 3,251 50
- VAT on a private sale? 82 4
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 306 17
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,206 24
- Where has Portia gone? 3,082 87
- Payroll software 142 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 47 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 586 19
- Practice management software 1,053 19
- Trade Association Dinner 135 1
- RTI - duplicate employee record 588 1
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 160 4
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 179 2
- Depreciation of Revalued Building 56 1
- Spousal transfer and PPR 756 32
- Portia ... Where art thou 452 1
- Taxation of serviced offices 219 3
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 781 16
- Write off loan between companies 617 24
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 806
- Pensions Regulator 459
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 419
- Sanzar 323
- How do you do it 313
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 278
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 178
- Fit for purpose 177