Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Signed accounts for a lender 211 10
- Goodie bag 2,323 68
- Practising options 430 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 389 10
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 460 5
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 216 7
- FreeAgent question 255 7
- Software recommendations? 370 5
- can I approach clients ? 647 10
- Latest scam e-mails 129 1
- BrightPay 939 27
- Budget 2015 predictions 598 14
- Regular Director bonus 189 3
- Have the new quarterly employer returns been finalised and where do you get them? 196 1
- accounting in estate agents 87 1
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 358 7
- Corporation Tax Software 229 5
- AAT or ATT 397 6
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 279 5
- Accts software 300 3
- Possible Partnership? 666
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 528
- New Fangled Penalties 460
- Fuming! 438
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 327
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 266
- Outsource Data Entry 247
- Moving away from CCH software 244
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 241
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 190