Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 157 4
- Company assets 319 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,041 14
- Claiming VAT 29 1
- MoneySoft 74 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 253 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 253 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 142 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 478 9
- Director resignation 723 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,781 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 131 1
- CIS Only Scheme 91 1
- No payroll scheme in place 339 1
- Xero Training 386 3
- SA Penalty 226 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 248 13
- Debtor weighting by sales 93 1
- The stupidity continues 2,824 103
- Company oversea and VAT 186 7
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 500
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 476
- Is there anything wrong with this? 276
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 264
- Uncommercial property business 237
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 203
- Registering online CWF1 181
- Accrued income scheme 177
- VAT - registration needed? 174
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 172