Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Investment from Friend 186 10
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 928 39
- Receipt bank 348 8
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 637 24
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 45 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 487 10
- Self Assessment and P11D 155 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 342 4
- Company dividends 549 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 190 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 87 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,178 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 168 2
- TRONC scheme 106 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 714 13
- Capital Gains Relief 165 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,615 29
- Identity check problem 1,272 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 217 3
- Business Set up cost 116 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 881
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 582
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 545
- Latest phishing scam 479
- Entrepreneurs' relief 427
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 350
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 325
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 249
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 247
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 170