Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,322 17
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 124 3
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 248 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 291 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 142 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 148 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 187 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,253 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 132 2
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 118 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 388 7
- Wear and tear allowance 452 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 199 6
- Residency test 200 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 246 3
- VAT Turnover 143 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 147 1
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 136 4
- Company purchase of shares 293 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 144 2
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 690
- Auto enrolment excuses 668
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 367
- Social investment tax relief 184
- Call Centre Data Costs 178
- Digita Hosted Software 177
- option to tax 161
- VAT on deposits 148
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 136
- Travel costs and contractors 133