Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,005 31
- Second Incomes Campaign 137 2
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 251 8
- Professional Clearance 1,557 24
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 268 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 662 33
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 403 6
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 396 11
- Interflora florist 209 3
- Sole trader hid directorships. 83 1
- More HMRC on gov.uk 467 9
- VAT on finance leases 96 1
- Friendly Pensions 222 1
- Online Timesheet Facility 87 1
- Problem ex client...again.. 1,739 15
- Company Reorganisation 307 4
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 195 5
- CGT on second home? 258 4
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 221 8
- Double tax agreement - do you show income on UK return even if the DTA says it is taxed in the other country? 153 2
- NOVA 495
- Bonus Bonds 384
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 365
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 280
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 246
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 168
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 156
- Finance Lease 150
- Company Car Lease 146
- Form 42 137