Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 238 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 448 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 530 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 136 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 279 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 102 2
- Limited company buying a car 120 3
- ACCA practice certificates 486 5
- Limited company buying director's car 283 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 66 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 78 1
- WC's and capital allowances 170 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 299 13
- Dress code 1,539 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 474 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 253 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 373 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 468 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 177 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 104 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 476
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 394
- Employment related securities question 307
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 170
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147