Wrong tax code applied - 11/12, 12/13 - whose liability?
Hi, hope someone will be able to clarify my position and provide insight on who is liable for approx £10k of tax due to a coding error.
In 2011/2012 I was on a tax code 707L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, on filing SA, accountant identified an additional liability on the personal allowance.
In 2012/2013 I was on a tax code 808L despite being on a basic in excess of having any personal allowance. Hence, another tax liability incurred during SA.
2011/2012 was filed late, hence, some argument that HMRC not 'aware' to issue a new tax code for 2012/2013....or?
My employer for those years was fully aware of my income situation hence, I find it absurd they would have used these tax codes. Naturally, I assume some responsibility for the error, but tax codes are not included on my pay slips so hard to spot until P60 time, and HMRC coding notification were sent to an old address.
HMRC over the phone, advised to send in a letter with P60's and P11D's for both years and they will investigate.
For 2013/14 I have been on the correct tax code for my circumstances.
Who will be liable for the underpayment for 11/12 and 12/13? Myself or Employer?
Thanks for all the input below - seems unanimous! HMRC asked me to write in with the key facts, dates and forms - I actually called back HMRC to make sure it would be a productive task, not a forgone conclusion. Maybe it's simple protocol.
The outstanding tax has already been paid in full, but will follow through as per HMRC advice.
As everyone has been very helpful with their input, I'll come back tot this post to share the response from HMRC in approximately one months time.
- utr 24 1
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 100 2
- P9D or P11D 665 7
- CT return error message 353 10
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,664 43
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,264 26
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 488 9
- Group subcontracting - accounts not consolidated 102 2
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 83 1
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 78 1
- Audit rules 360 8
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 261 6
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 288 7
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 212 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 805 11
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 182 2
- FRS17 query 202 2
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 986 6
- Charge HMRC 262 2
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 501 17
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 369
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 307
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 271
- CIS schemes 206
- Domain name sale and limited company 198
- Investment 178
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 171
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 170