Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- error on companies house accounts 722 18
- RTI penalties 78 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 513 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 134 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 307 5
- US Sales Tax 112 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 367 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 198 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 134 1
- Group Relief 128 4
- R&D Credits 103 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 248 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 121 2
- Clients 681 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 315 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 136 3
- Starting new accounting business 299 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 462 10
- Sage Payroll 119 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 117 2
- QROP pension input amounts 499
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 481
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 444
- EPS and CIS deductions 298
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 290
- Construction CIS LLP Company 283
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 248
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 205
- SAGE winforecast 203
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 186