Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- VAT on new build property 121 2
- Auto enrolment 284 9
- SAGE 50 2011 97 1
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 143 3
- Employer PAYE Refund 129 3
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,614 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,831 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 140 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 876 18
- 1st year reporting under FRS 102 - Property revaluation 243 5
- IFA giving dodgy advice? 355 9
- Recommendations for Accounting Software 268 4
- Training (again) 319 4
- Online Back Up 428 9
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 200 5
- HMRC Online Services Problems 392 11
- Seeking advice: Retired self employed working from home 161 2
- HMRC complaint! 409 3
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 2,153 29
- Client has two UTRS, How do you get HMRC to correct this? 509 16
- NHS finance professionals 666
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 410
- Foreign Pension Contribution 375
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 356
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 347
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 308
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 270
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 220
- IFA income recognition & reporting 211