Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- The stupidity continues 640 25
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 233 4
- transactions after account have been closed 190 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 175 5
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 536 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 226 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 129 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,340 25
- New Employers Helpline 210 4
- Software recommendations 277 1
- Share transfer question 381 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 332 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 189 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,459 19
- Overlap relief 759 19
- What is IRIS World like? 369 8
- Pension contributions 384 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 512 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 213 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 289 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 440
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 436
- WIP Software 301
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 235
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 233
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 210
- Is there anything wrong with this? 205
- Small Part Disposal of Property 190
- Uncommercial property business 182