Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- Partially exempt? 77 2
- OBK 231 6
- Mileage claim 100 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 221 9
- Property expense - legal fees 122 3
- Research expenses for authors 261 6
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 311 7
- Auto-Enrolment 3,516 169
- Proof of Delivery 144 2
- Investor exit 72 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 121 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 238 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 117 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 121 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,694 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 393 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,747 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 116 2
- What type of Trust? 97 1
- Dormant Company 136 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 508
- Skandia using wrong address 457
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 245
- Employee rewards 245
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 212
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 196
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 186
- Etax Australian 156