Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- Not renewing AAT 600 8
- Self-assessment statistics 2,400 56
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,690 51
- New dividend taxation 308 2
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 94 1
- Company car v company allowance 202 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 423 9
- Company formation and bank account 351 9
- Next Move 627 18
- Owning overseas property 297 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 279 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 209 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 680 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 627 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 235 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 408 8
- OneNote is fantastic 561 11
- VAT Direct Debit 381 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 470 8
- Self Assessment Software 703 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 664
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 391
- 2015 tax year end 388
- FCA regulated company in a small group 344
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 306
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 238
- DTA tie-breaker issue 209
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204