Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 417 16
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 250 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 320 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,278 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 131 2
- Companies House incorporation service 317 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 54 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 129 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 187 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 160 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 228 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 131 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 136 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,588 12
- Share Capital 115 2
- Trading income or not? 174 1
- Charge HMRC 395 3
- FRS17 query 229 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,772 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,716 29
- Xtuple 545
- Qtac payroll for bureau 374
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 315
- Industrial & Provident Societies 310
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 288
- CIS schemes 220
- Domain name sale and limited company 204
- Investment 183
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 177