Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 256 3
- Cocaine anyone? 104 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,461 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 810 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 437 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 244 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 315 11
- Tax return software for remote working 467 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 522 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 432 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 444 9
- How to purchase business premises? 156 2
- Will I need to resign? 816 10
- Childcare vouchers 171 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 273 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 299 6
- VAT avoidance? 231 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 186 3
- PAYE coding out 191 3
- Follower cases 575 2
- Hive up 470
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 438
- corporate hierarchy 416
- Advice - 247
- Amortisation of Goodwill 218
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 206
- WWOOFers 201
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 186
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 181
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 178