Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 49 4
- Audit 159 3
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 539 17
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 708 22
- Do I need to pay my accountant 912 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,099 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 112 1
- carry back of gift aid 176 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 297 8
- Awkward IP 1,234 12
- What's in a name ? 997 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 876 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 215 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 558 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 238 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 402 6
- Potentially dodgy client 441 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 564 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 467 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 405 9
- CTA study material 786
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 431
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 270
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 265
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 202
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154