Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- The process of issuing dividend? 81 5
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 66 3
- Pattern for CTA 286 7
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 1,181 8
- equipment rental 181 9
- Capital Allowances 61 1
- R185 (Estates) in final year of administration 64 2
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 182 5
- Travelling costs claimable? 45 1
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 478 9
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,269 20
- Non-resident employer & employee 75 3
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 154 2
- Write off of former director's loan 910 13
- PPR query 133 1
- Fixed asset registers 264 9
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 556 8
- Tech Champion of the Year 170 4
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 119 2
- Vat on digital download of music 115 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,347
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 430
- Alphabet shares 233
- Agent fees to sell business 227
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 218
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 165
- Charge out rates in London 162
- which entity 147
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 139
- confusion about 139