Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- White van man 320 16
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 127 9
- Window Comb Binder Cover 283 5
- STUDENT LOAN 44 1
- Bookkeeping question 558 6
- wave software 210 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 330 8
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 196 3
- Backdate C79? 156 2
- Entertaining - definition? 289 2
- Do you lose losses on cessation 347 10
- foreign income 106 1
- SA1 Online 86 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 90 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 89 2
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 342 9
- VAT recovery on company owned van used by employee with some personal use 96 1
- Capital allowances offset rule 133 1
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 124 4
- Worried over stock value 157 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 820
- Copy Wanted 545
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 501
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 485
- Latest phishing scam 338
- Entrepreneurs' relief 311
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 284
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 277
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 273
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 180