Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- Value pricing 226 9
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,555 12
- Audit Required 104 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,757 25
- company secretarial software 141 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 144 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 63 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 187 1
- Rental Income 300 6
- Payroll 2012/13 105 1
- I have a pain 695 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 83 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 174 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 734 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 122 3
- Cash flow 147 2
- New use of home - simplified method 250 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 267 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 397 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,955 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 731
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 500
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 344
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 342
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 263
- VAT on Gaming Machines 211
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 199
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 185
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 177
- Director Loan account operation 147