Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- Where has Portia gone? 5,132 113
- Help 231 11
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 292 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 120 2
- Overlap profit 301 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 326 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,073 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 149 1
- Payments on account 199 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 108 1
- What do your junior staff do? 536 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 667 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 428 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 542 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 139 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,949 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 371 3
- On the high seas 120 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 863 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 854
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 344
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 315
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181