Wrongful Trading - Do we disengage?
We have a construction client that due to various difficulties is now hopelessly insolvent.
Difficulties were first identified in early March and we have been attempting to help in various ways since that point (cash flow forecasts, attendance at meetings relating to contractor disputes and various other support).
It has now become clear (over the last week or so) that the company is now trading whilst insolvent with no real prospect of being able to trade out of it and it is my view that an insolvency practitioner needs to be approached without further delay and I have given this advice.
The MD is carrying on regardless with what appears to be no real care for suppliers. They are incurring further liabilities and I have also heard (second hand) that the company are still applying for credit accounts. It appears his plan is to maximise recoveries from contractors and start a new company. Any report on his conduct would certainly be adverse.
To make matters worse, the MD has now resigned his directorship and a appointed someone else as a 'puppet' director whilst still being in control of the company. County court letters are starting to land along with threats of winding up notices.
What do we do?
Do we simply disengage?
Do we have to report this?
It is only actually reading this back it has now dawned on me how bad this is and I am concerned how this may reflect on my firm.
- When to include value of import in Box 7 56 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 157 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 292 7
- Capital gain? 65 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,240 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 258 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 345 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 411 8
- vat help for catering concession 272 10
- IHT dilemma 1,152 17
- Tax return software for remote working 228 3
- CGT 329 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 317 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 106 2
- Compliance check 504 13
- sole trader accountant 781 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 397 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 602 21
- More AE! 492 11
- How to classify an asset 154 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,078
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 776
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 460
- Digita Hosted Software 278
- Call Centre Data Costs 247
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 222
- Credit where credit's due....... 213
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 203
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 184
- Director phone costs 145