Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Capital Gain? 409 11
- IHT Query 67 2
- Reversing out RTI 118 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 297 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 847 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 302 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 271 6
- BrightPay 614 18
- Classic cars investment 243 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 235 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 324 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 349 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 273 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 273 2
- H&W company 253 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 210 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 174 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 192 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 811 32
- VAT silly question 2,417 56
- Benchmarking 497
- Possible Partnership? 441
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 415
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 415
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 361
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 216
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 212
- Clubs and Taxable Income 204
- Income tax on foreign dividends 195
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 189