Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,960 45
- Love is in the air 168 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,647 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 237 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 339 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 382 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 487 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 125 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 515 1
- Paying Son 626 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 337 7
- HMRC accounting 253 3
- Employers NI allowance 442 6
- Dividend taxation 259 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 163 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 177 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 153 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 439 4
- iris update 11.9.2 448 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 273 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 274
- CGT for NOn UK residents 270
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 257
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 242
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 229
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 208
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 186