Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Company buy back of shares from directors 182 11
- Please tell me what to do!! 293 8
- VAT on exports to EU 75 1
- 5th April 238 7
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,980 33
- Cash basis 130 5
- Cash basis 786 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 270 2
- Investor exit 244 4
- client threatening legal action 2,298 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 134 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 228 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 342 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,580 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 563 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 331 9
- Rental income 153 2
- s455 Directors loan 210 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 76 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,189 8
- Skandia using wrong address 609
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 327
- Employee rewards 307
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 274
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 153
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 140
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 136