Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- HMRC Postal Delays 300 9
- Closure of PAYE scheme 153 2
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 56 1
- Legal advisor recommendation please 200 4
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 169 2
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,305 13
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 576 7
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 157 3
- Termination Payment 475 15
- Company Share Buy Back 330 8
- P11D Car Value 103 2
- Business lending another business money (UK) 240 6
- Stand alone practice management software 1,973 30
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 287 5
- bookkeeping system 679 9
- Landing clients 712 21
- Signed accounts for bank 530 10
- Non-Taxable Expenses Reimbursement 134 3
- Time to react ? ? ? 678 6
- Dividends 154 3