Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- VAT on finance leases 73 1
- Friendly Pensions 196 1
- Online Timesheet Facility 53 1
- Problem ex client...again.. 1,575 15
- Company Reorganisation 295 4
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 162 5
- CGT on second home? 248 4
- Interflora florist 180 2
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 932 27
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 217 8
- Double tax agreement - do you show income on UK return even if the DTA says it is taxed in the other country? 140 2
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 383 10
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 246 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 423 8
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 375 5
- Completing RP1 form in re Redundancy /Insolvency 248 8
- VAT in Sage 176 3
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 495 10
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 287 4
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,342 23
- NOVA 495
- Bonus Bonds 384
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 365
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 280
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 246
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 168
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 154
- Finance Lease 147
- Company Car Lease 146
- Form 42 132