Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Company dividends 136 7
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 214 8
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 47 3
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 263 8
- state pension statement 362 7
- Notice of Coding 0T but not Month 1 219 6
- Use of home deduction 38 1
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 278 4
- When is golf coaching a vatable supply? 99 1
- Worried over stock value 295 7
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,345 25
- SA1 Online 156 2
- What tax to pay 241 3
- Writing down allowance / AIA 238 8
- Backdate C79? 194 3
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 343 15
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,252 77
- NO HMRC PENALTY 134 1
- EBT via Payroll 143 1
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 887 24
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 835
- Copy Wanted 563
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 514
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 496
- Latest phishing scam 360
- Entrepreneurs' relief 337
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 297
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 293
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 285
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 190