Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 343 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 117 1
- Accountant Specialization. 265 3
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 279 5
- . 213 2
- Freelance/Employee 656 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 199 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 168 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 171 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 457 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 101 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 597 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 687 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 133 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 193 2
- Is it just me ... 301 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 301 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 124 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 354 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 225 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 289
- S222 Charge 237
- IP trans to holding company 188
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 186
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 172
- AIA 167
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 165