Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,753 39
- Windows10 225 5
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,850 43
- Probate services 437 10
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 104 1
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 271 4
- Accounting for corporation tax 297 8
- Sole trader registering for the first time 347 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,012 18
- Creative Auto Enrolment 589 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 888 15
- Can an owner hold company money 342 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 339 17
- Class 2 NIC 311 5
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 411 7
- Vat payable on van 199 1
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 247 7
- Community Faux Pas 938 26
- Cash gift from India 175 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,322 40