Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 219 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 2,032 73
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,434 25
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,957 47
- inflation rate year on year 195 4
- Accounts Question 167 5
- Deleted question? 769 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,228 67
- MAAT vs ACCA 738 13
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 672 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 464 4
- VAT Return Errors 209 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 174 5
- Yorkshire Day 627 38
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 203 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 389 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 155 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 300 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 244 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 164 1
- Cancelled 473
- Cancelled 389
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 379
- Probiz 359
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 265
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 240
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 235
- More spam 186
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 155