Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- PAYE versus Dividends 148 2
- Employee or partner 13 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 183 5
- The Cotter Case 179 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 109 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 135 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 56 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 936 16
- Sole Trader business 152 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 151 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 144 1
- Giving a seminar 683 36
- Tax position on lease extension 175 1
- Boffin of the Year 300 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 219 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 79 1
- Non sequitur 252 2
- Am i Liable? 881 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 170 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,297
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 640
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 424
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 213
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 207
- Office recharges 170
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 150