Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 126 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 209 9
- How to Value a Business 462 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 117 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 526 13
- How much did you pay for your website 469 13
- Companies House 106 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 101 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 373 7
- Company Pension Contributions 246 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 197 4
- Expenses allowable 153 3
- Let Property Campaign 378 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 126 1
- Self employment trap - pension 339 3
- Awkward IP 610 9
- ESC A19 123 2
- When does my Property business start 264 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,534 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 866 19
- CTA study material 600
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 591
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 366
- Employment related securities question 221
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 195
- ATED Penalties 192
- AIM Stocks and IHT 175
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 129
- Expat pension contributions? 124
- Trust for Employee 124