Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 270 12
- Dividend payment date 1,962 36
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 505 14
- Real names 686 24
- Consolidating the P+L for an overseas subsidiary 71 4
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 207 7
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 71 1
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 319 1
- Capital Gains Tax 207 6
- Fixed Assets 48 1
- Well well well 437 6
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 166 3
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 181 6
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 175 11
- Errors in prior year accounts 220 5
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 217 7
- Company Secretarial Software 1,316 28
- LLP and LTD Co 111 3
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 118 1
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 306 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 571
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 439
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 341
- IFA incorporation 321
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 304
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 258
- Sorry ignore me 250
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 246
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 243
- Cancelled 181