Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 853 24
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 236 6
- SA302 187 3
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 104 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,060 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 259 2
- Dental practice incorpration 118 1
- Audit rules 154 4
- Go Cardless 268 8
- business entertaining deductibility 134 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 155 2
- R & D 105 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 85 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 112 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 170 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 160 1
- New Business Registration 220 5
- Hosted email exchange 137 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 154 1
- G P life time allowance 125 3
- Xtuple 502
- Qtac payroll for bureau 336
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 281
- Industrial & Provident Societies 277
- Mehjoo 221
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 173
- Domain name sale and limited company 159
- South African Government Pension 156
- CIS schemes 151