Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,324 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 167 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 183 2
- "Audit Report" 82 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 484 13
- Coding Notice 233 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 248 6
- New business - journal entries 416 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 226 3
- Payroll software 654 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 277 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 401 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 737 18
- B2B vat in the EU 193 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 203 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 238 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 201 4
- LLP as member of LLP 142 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,848 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 523 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 874
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 722
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 415
- Social investment tax relief 220
- Digita Hosted Software 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 204
- accounting for this transaction 197
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 174
- Travel costs and contractors 173
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 172