Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- CGT on Property 138 1
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 245 3
- Shareholder Loan write off 520 24
- Vat on sales invoice which includes expenses 122 3
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 723 19
- Share restructure 239 7
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 317 9
- Gross sales to purchases 197 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 183 3
- Capital allowances 133 2
- RTI Filing 1,347 21
- Loan to a participator 153 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,281 10
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 369 7
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 109 3
- £2000 Employment Allowance 163 1
- Staff entertaining or not? 356 4
- First RTI P45 213 3
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 193 2
- Non resident director pay 130 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 712
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 482
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 316
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 304
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 251
- growth voucher supplier 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 191
- VAT on Gaming Machines 187
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 161
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 161