Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- The stupidity continues 809 49
- transactions after account have been closed 217 5
- What is IRIS World like? 377 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 349 8
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 224 6
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 264 4
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 541 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 240 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 143 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,343 25
- New Employers Helpline 213 4
- Software recommendations 284 1
- Share transfer question 393 17
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 192 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,473 19
- Overlap relief 764 19
- Pension contributions 386 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 520 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 225 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 295 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 440
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 438
- WIP Software 302
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 236
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 233
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 212
- Is there anything wrong with this? 206
- Small Part Disposal of Property 192
- Uncommercial property business 183