Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- You know its over 186 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 94 3
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 90 1
- Cocaine anyone? 435 8
- Late Registration for VAT 465 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 152 11
- EIS/SEIS 124 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 255 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 391 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 388 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 657 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 523 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 548 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 79 1
- Personal pension 387 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 212 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,194 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 894 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 122 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,504 22
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 443
- corporate hierarchy 427
- Advice - 263
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 216
- WWOOFers 212
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 200
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 190
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 169
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 165