Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 71 1
- any implications of this type of transaction 43 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,681 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 96 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 283 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,029 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 262 7
- Sage data 102 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 422 9
- Limited company buying a car 361 6
- Funding Circle experience 154 3
- Excel query 117 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,293 13
- Payment on account penalties 127 3
- Tax on free shares 143 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 207 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 125 1
- Audit 489 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 127 3
- Buying a horse?? 429 12
- CTA study material 804
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 495
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 461
- Employment related securities question 322
- AIM Stocks and IHT 311
- Expat pension contributions? 281
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 281
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 232
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 161