Yacht and aircraft chartering via limited company
I've been asked to do a bit of research on the subject of chartering expensive "boys toys", like yachts, jets, helicopters and the like. It's actually a yacht, but I want to address the wider subject too.
I'm comfortable on the VAT issue in principle. It has to be a business. It ought to have a view of profit (which will then be liable to CT, but we'll get capital allowances). I'm happy so far.
There will be benefit in kind implications if the asset is placed at the disposal of any employee, director or shadow director, and a possible benefit distribution if it made available to a participator in a close company who isn't an employee, director or shadow director.
So how? How do we make sure it's a business? How do we avoid it being "at the disposal" of these people other than when they're using it?
Presumably there are businesses out there that will, "manage" the asset as agents? Does that deal with both issues? Is there a VAT self-supply or private use adjustment if these people use it for their private purposes? What if it's a yacht and the company uses it for entertaining? or promotion?
I realise that there would need to be a capital allowances adjustment for entertaining use.
Does anyone have any experience that can please (a) answer some (or even all) the above questions? and/or (b) identify any issues that I haven't touched on?
And does anyone know of any books (reasonably recent, because I know that the VAT position has been developing in recent years) that cover the subject?
- ICPA-Scotland 131 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,725 288
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 152 1
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 239 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 136 2
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 506 10
- Declined for business bank account 297 6
- Help with Mortgage Application? 504 7
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 215 10
- Standard 'email' template system 894 14
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,046 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 227 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 106 1
- Circular shareholding 249 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 204 6
- business card address 331 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 214 2
- Loan to a related company 136 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 689 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 347 10
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,122
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 368
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 301
- National Insurance 272
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 240
- Payments on account coded out?? 231
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 226
- Non Resident 192
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 191
- Franchise income and costs 180