Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Practical experience 818 15
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 405 9
- Personal Tax 115 1
- VAT 300 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 154 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 113 1
- last minute request 211 3
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 113 2
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 76 1
- Cash gift from India 480 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 71 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 414 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 93 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 237 6
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,140 44
- Maternity and claining expenses 649 6
- Overseas workday relief 157 5
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 303 3
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 667 13
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 125 1