Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 91 2
- Outsourcing Payroll 145 2
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 143 1
- sage 159 4
- R&D tax credits 45 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 176 6
- Improvements to leasehold property and Capital Allowances 44 1
- Annual Report - How to? 376 14
- Double entry 214 5
- FBI2 210 4
- Companies House 178 3
- Interprise software 97 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 517 19
- Charity accounting 269 6
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 157 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,077 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 228 3
- Clients 934 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 304 12
- Accountants not providing all required information 303 4
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 546
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 304
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 299
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 267
- Overdrawn director account 222
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 204