Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,578 46
- Next Move 571 17
- Owning overseas property 267 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 260 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 174 3
- Company formation and bank account 298 8
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 661 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 567 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 403 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 210 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 398 8
- OneNote is fantastic 513 11
- VAT Direct Debit 366 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 448 8
- Self Assessment Software 690 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 439 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,360 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 277 11
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 372 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 286 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 660
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 403
- Property letting & CAs 393
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 386
- 2015 tax year end 384
- FCA regulated company in a small group 341
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 285
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 231
- DTA tie-breaker issue 202
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 199