Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 244 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 757 17
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,555 42
- CIC Company 385 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,652 57
- Is this a scam? 758 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 118 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 331 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 237 5
- New company - form a group? 158 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 177 4
- PITA client 221 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 368 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,314 33
- Dividend dates 491 8
- R&D tax credit claim 222 5
- CIS Deductions 272 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 118 1
- is this fraud? 790 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 496 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 347
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 332
- Cancelled 283
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 255
- Probiz 242
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 188
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 156