Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Related party disclosure 86 3
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 32 1
- Inflation and fees 1,263 23
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 942 25
- Company reconstruction 19 1
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 757 22
- Missing tax return 226 3
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 205 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 69 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 120 1
- Advice please! 370 2
- VAT on new builds 140 3
- incorrect old p60 193 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 108 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 331 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,920 28
- Redundancy Pay 441 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 715 6
- Sage Priority Support 120 2
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 518 4