Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,481 41
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 151 3
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 96 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 274 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 236 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,235 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 369 6
- Go Cardless 385 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 331 3
- Mehjoo 335 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 155 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 411 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 200 4
- SA302 347 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 297 13
- Bringing money to Uk 303 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 219 4
- Hmrc software 262 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 199 1
- Hosted email exchange 194 5
- Xtuple 522
- Qtac payroll for bureau 357
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 301
- Industrial & Provident Societies 294
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 238
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 216
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 212
- Domain name sale and limited company 183
- CIS schemes 179
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 155