Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,581 16
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 60 3
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 212 2
- Corporation tax - group relief on 75% subsidiary 101 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 460 7
- Unpaid company directors and self employment 158 2
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 390 2
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 153 2
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 427 13
- Real names 972 32
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 282 7
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,641 10
- Best apps for clients 176 2
- Theatre as charitable company 137 3
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 288 2
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 425 12
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 339 1
- Fixed Assets 185 2
- CGT on Sale of shop 175 2
- Dividend payment date 2,049 36
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 574
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 443
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 349
- IFA incorporation 329
- Sorry ignore me 288
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 268
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 255
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 250
- Cancelled 192
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 160