Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Auto enrolment 24 1
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 144 4
- Accountant Error 167 4
- Deferral relief 79 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,186 18
- Accountants' Error 314 7
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 317 3
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 661 26
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 113 2
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 80 2
- Companies House Abbreviated Accounts 407 5
- Wear and tear allowance 374 5
- HMRC Enquiry 516 3
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 227 2
- Share swap 113 1
- Cashback 347 2
- another ir35!!!! 234 2
- Settlement, or any other issues? 99 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 110 3
- Buying blocks of fees 401 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,433
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 737
- Any views 679
- HMRC Employers Diary 506
- International interest certificate 414
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 377
- Sale of business 333
- NOVA 243
- Advertising services? 231
- IRIS Open Books problem 225