Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Non VAT invoices 136 3
- Time to ditch Sage? 151 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 246 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 135 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 274 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,361 32
- Fees 161 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 239 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 194 2
- Form 17 Download 107 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 540 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 986 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 374 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,752 42
- Sage Line 50 172 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 185 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 452 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 395 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 412
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 244
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 203
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 182
- AIA 177
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177