Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- The Cotter Case 176 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 99 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 128 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 44 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 936 16
- Sole Trader business 151 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 151 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 143 1
- Giving a seminar 680 36
- Tax position on lease extension 174 1
- Boffin of the Year 296 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 217 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 237 4
- Sage Depreciation 77 1
- Non sequitur 249 2
- Am i Liable? 880 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 170 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 155 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 75 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 475 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,294
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 640
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 422
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 261
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 212
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 207
- Office recharges 169
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 148