Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 64 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,253 19
- Scanners 164 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 75 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 153 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 230 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 400 9
- Payment plans for clients 108 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 224 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 231 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 443 9
- P60 or payslips? 92 1
- Property income in different capacities 104 1
- IHT dilemma 1,382 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 190 1
- IT advisory questions? 176 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 793 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 142 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,158
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 797
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 486
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 271
- Director phone costs 233
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 226
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 197
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 152
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 135