Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- When do we qualify for state pension? 191 4
- Companies house strike off 80 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 107 2
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 101 2
- Moving to the cloud 622 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 152 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 735 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 141 4
- BTC vs Digita 981 29
- Seeking a tax case 279 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 308 4
- See you all on the other side 254 5
- VATABLE Income 304 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 248 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 273 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 497 6
- P11D software 120 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 535 9
- VAT - business splitting 240 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 588 16
- HMRC Joint Filing 525
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 394
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 354
- IRIS and FRS 102 327
- Capitalising Finance Lease 294
- USA help 287
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 248
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 235
- Capital gains on rental property 229
- Sage Coretime 218