Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Auto-Enrolment 3,439 167
- OBK 178 5
- Proof of Delivery 108 1
- Accounting for a VAT Group 106 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 222 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 98 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,680 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 358 4
- Property expense - legal fees 100 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,718 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 89 2
- What type of Trust? 91 1
- Dormant Company 120 2
- Research expenses for authors 236 4
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 768 16
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 120 2
- Company Loan to associated company 80 1
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 146 5
- CLG exempt under s60 157 3
- Late VAT registration penalty 182 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 505
- Skandia using wrong address 455
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- Employee rewards 244
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 243
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 211
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 191
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 185
- Etax Australian 155