Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,808 443
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 203 4
- capital gains on PPR 247 13
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 362 13
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 176 7
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 168 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,298 62
- Company expansion 98 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 376 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 499 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 525 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,482 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 257 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 188 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 170 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 299 9
- PRR 371 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 413 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 324 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 445 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 372
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 264
- Hands on experience of Digita 215
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 167
- employment capital allowances 162
- CIS paid under reg 9 157