Questions on VAT penalties and foreign business
I have two questions I would like you to assist me to resolve.
1. When a business fails to register for VAT tax upon reaching the registration threshold, out of ignorance, until it comes to light months later how does one avoid maximum penalty and surcharges?
This came to light at the time of preparing the annual accounts for the trader. Trade is hair salon and attached food shop.
2. When one who is a UK resident and ordinary resident trades, I know that tax is assessable on world-wide income. However, for a non domicile I understand that income is assessable to UK tax only when it is remitted to the UK. Is my understanding correct?
Also what do you do to the business expenditure like port and handling duties paid in the foreign country where the goods are sold? In particular where these expenditure far exceeds the reported income from the foreign country? Would the Revenue allow all these foreign expenditures, albeit business related expenditure?
- Company petition 16 1
- RTI and bank holiday Friday 28 1
- Belated VAT Exception Application 177 6
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 527 13
- CT600 for the first time 106 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 312 7
- Agent with HMRC 146 9
- Propert purchase, renovation then rented out and VAT 42 1
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 540 9
- Sage Payroll 94 4
- VAT query 138 2
- Elective DeductionsModel 101 2
- company secretarial software 201 4
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 257 5
- Value pricing 385 13
- Weely paid employees 91 1
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 289 6
- Should design costs be capitalised? 81 1
- Share restructure 353 13
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 474 14
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 739
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 508
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 366
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 349
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 268
- VAT on Gaming Machines 221
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 204
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 194
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 184
- Director Loan account operation 165