In the real economy . . .
It has been suggested to me that clients who are used to their businesses being profitable are failing to adjust to lower profits being made now. Is that your experience?
One accountant said to me that clients were used to spending money from their businesses and 'covering' that with dividends at the year end. The clients had not reduced their expenditure (and were to some extent unable to do so because of kids' school fees or whatever) but were now finding the profits did not support sufficient dividends to 'cover' the 'drawings' they had made during the year.
Is that just one accountant's experience or is that common?
Is it perhaps the case that many businesses either have not yet been hit by the recession - or have been hit but do not have accounts showing them what the effect has been on profit?
If so, when will the impact be felt / recognised?
Discuss! (or not if you prefer!)
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,726 13
- Does the AR01 reflect the actual money invested in a company 78 5
- Spam blocking 463 28
- Has auto-enrolment tipped the scales? 162 2
- Are solicitors worth the money? 1,334 13
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 207 8
- A little silliness 269 3
- Just for fun. 828 27
- Is interest still due? 58 1
- AccountingWeb is unworkable 329 2
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 132 2
- Ex-gratia payments 281 6
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 121 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 354 6
- HMRC & daft penalty 619 6
- TOMS - the other side of the fence 134 2
- &^$%ing Mollom? 236 2
- Employment status 274 4
- P11D help 123 2
- VAT on purchase of plant from Germany 149 4
- Theatre Tax Relief 489
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 383
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 374
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 348
- Perkbox 315
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 309
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 274
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 271
- Document Management Systems 253
- WIP Software 236