In the real economy . . .
It has been suggested to me that clients who are used to their businesses being profitable are failing to adjust to lower profits being made now. Is that your experience?
One accountant said to me that clients were used to spending money from their businesses and 'covering' that with dividends at the year end. The clients had not reduced their expenditure (and were to some extent unable to do so because of kids' school fees or whatever) but were now finding the profits did not support sufficient dividends to 'cover' the 'drawings' they had made during the year.
Is that just one accountant's experience or is that common?
Is it perhaps the case that many businesses either have not yet been hit by the recession - or have been hit but do not have accounts showing them what the effect has been on profit?
If so, when will the impact be felt / recognised?
Discuss! (or not if you prefer!)
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 371 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,182 30
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 156 4
- New Company reviews please 636 16
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,088 33
- Business only use of company car 748 27
- Voluntary Disclosure 411 8
- Gift to son by parents 175 1
- valuation of vehicles 495 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 294 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 195 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 419 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 467 4
- BTC is slow 315 3
- Director registration for SA question 538 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 476 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 522 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 534 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 371 4
- VAT with Russia 292 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 327
- Any thoughts on Capium? 268
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 263
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 249
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 229
- auto enrolment 203
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 188
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 175
- How to account for investment in JV? 168
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 159