In the real economy . . .
It has been suggested to me that clients who are used to their businesses being profitable are failing to adjust to lower profits being made now. Is that your experience?
One accountant said to me that clients were used to spending money from their businesses and 'covering' that with dividends at the year end. The clients had not reduced their expenditure (and were to some extent unable to do so because of kids' school fees or whatever) but were now finding the profits did not support sufficient dividends to 'cover' the 'drawings' they had made during the year.
Is that just one accountant's experience or is that common?
Is it perhaps the case that many businesses either have not yet been hit by the recession - or have been hit but do not have accounts showing them what the effect has been on profit?
If so, when will the impact be felt / recognised?
Discuss! (or not if you prefer!)
- Any printer recommendations? 151 6
- Out of date tax returns 231 2
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 63 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,015 6
- VAT on Exhibition services 104 3
- Dates, more dates and cessation 56 1
- Filling in my self assessment 958 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 153 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 297 7
- proposed dividends 648 22
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 430 6
- FPS responses ... 510 16
- Nominal Codes 271 9
- Charging VAT to a Swedish Company 208 7
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 227 2
- Valuing Famiy Shareholding 189 3
- HMRC SMP Calculator - does it still exist? 125 2
- Alcohol VAT reclaim 173 1
- HMRC repayment has gone to wrong bank account - quickest way to resolve? 448 6
- RSU and double taxation 191 2
- Sanzar 498
- Digital marketing focus group 398
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 378
- Sainsbury's mangement 328
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 327
- Continuity Agreement 323
- Avanti Accounts 321
- Buyback 285
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 231
- Aggresive sales from Iris 196