In the real economy . . .
It has been suggested to me that clients who are used to their businesses being profitable are failing to adjust to lower profits being made now. Is that your experience?
One accountant said to me that clients were used to spending money from their businesses and 'covering' that with dividends at the year end. The clients had not reduced their expenditure (and were to some extent unable to do so because of kids' school fees or whatever) but were now finding the profits did not support sufficient dividends to 'cover' the 'drawings' they had made during the year.
Is that just one accountant's experience or is that common?
Is it perhaps the case that many businesses either have not yet been hit by the recession - or have been hit but do not have accounts showing them what the effect has been on profit?
If so, when will the impact be felt / recognised?
Discuss! (or not if you prefer!)
- Will I need to resign? 38 1
- Paper tax return 73 3
- Start up allowance? 330 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 442 15
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,324 41
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 223 3
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 158 1
- AIA or IFA 413 7
- Surely not? 413 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 622 9
- Running two businesses from the same premises 350 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 347 7
- Late Registration for VAT 346 11
- Old CGT loss 167 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 257 5
- Nominal Ledger 339 10
- Share structures 135 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,145 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 336 5
- Business rates consultancy 214 3
- TheTax Donut 1,051
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 687
- Follower cases 495
- Limited company purchase of property 434
- Hive up 431
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 399
- corporate hierarchy 390
- LIVE chat, starting now 351
- Advice - 200
- Amortisation of Goodwill 184