In the real economy . . .
It has been suggested to me that clients who are used to their businesses being profitable are failing to adjust to lower profits being made now. Is that your experience?
One accountant said to me that clients were used to spending money from their businesses and 'covering' that with dividends at the year end. The clients had not reduced their expenditure (and were to some extent unable to do so because of kids' school fees or whatever) but were now finding the profits did not support sufficient dividends to 'cover' the 'drawings' they had made during the year.
Is that just one accountant's experience or is that common?
Is it perhaps the case that many businesses either have not yet been hit by the recession - or have been hit but do not have accounts showing them what the effect has been on profit?
If so, when will the impact be felt / recognised?
Discuss! (or not if you prefer!)
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 1,803 17
- VAT on sale of goods outside of EU - Flat Rate 91 2
- Not renewing AAT 1,309 13
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 38 1
- Dormant co. now trading 256 8
- CisVerification as an agent 270 5
- Cloud-based email services? 179 3
- Late PAYE Registration 134 4
- Online or Paper 64-8? 82 1
- Is the CT61 return dead? 546 9
- Auto Enrolment 541 2
- Lease premium accounting treatment 77 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,569 20
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 562 13
- Casual Driver 504 7
- Questions from Liquidator 2,350 25
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 325 3
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 502 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 460 11
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 317 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 721
- 2015 tax year end 460
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 424
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 369
- Costly Accounting Software contract 339
- Directors' advances and credits 273
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 243
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 229
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 206