Reclaiming Import VAT / C79 Certificates
I wonder if anyone could be so kind to help me. I am currently waiting on a C79 certificate from H M Revenue & Customs. I have been VAT registered since March 1st, 2011 however I never did receive a C79 certificate as I had to re-register for EORI and was not aware of this until I realised I hadn't been receiving the certificates. My courier, UPS, have now re-allocated all imports from March 1st to my correct VAT number and have advised that this will prompt a C79 and I will also start getting C79's monthly - at least I hope.
As I registered in March, I have aleady completed my first VAT return for the first period (which covered March 1st - March 31st) and now my 2nd return is due by August to cover April to June.
When I receive the C79 certificate some of the entries on there should hopefully relate to the imports I never claimed for for March - is it possible to still reclaim these on my next return (providing they are on the C79 certificate)?
How do you record the C79 certificate in your accounts package? Do you treat it as a seperate invoice? I use Kashflow accounting software if it helps. Do I just take whatever is on the C79 certificate and reclaim this on my return?
Before I was VAT registered I would just record my import duties and VAT into the accounts as an expense (as I receive an invoice from my courier). I assume now I should only be recording the Import Duty & Brokerage fees because the VAT will be a seperate entity which is reclaimed on the return?
I hope my questions make sense and would greatly appreciate any advice.
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 183 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 132 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 120 2
- You know its over 233 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 164 3
- Cocaine anyone? 463 8
- Late Registration for VAT 472 13
- EIS/SEIS 132 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 260 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 401 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 399 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 670 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 534 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 561 4
- Personal pension 392 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 216 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,200 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 900 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 140 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,514 22
- Hive up 483
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 448
- corporate hierarchy 430
- Advice - 267
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 219
- WWOOFers 214
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 202
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 191
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 169