Reclaiming Import VAT / C79 Certificates
I wonder if anyone could be so kind to help me. I am currently waiting on a C79 certificate from H M Revenue & Customs. I have been VAT registered since March 1st, 2011 however I never did receive a C79 certificate as I had to re-register for EORI and was not aware of this until I realised I hadn't been receiving the certificates. My courier, UPS, have now re-allocated all imports from March 1st to my correct VAT number and have advised that this will prompt a C79 and I will also start getting C79's monthly - at least I hope.
As I registered in March, I have aleady completed my first VAT return for the first period (which covered March 1st - March 31st) and now my 2nd return is due by August to cover April to June.
When I receive the C79 certificate some of the entries on there should hopefully relate to the imports I never claimed for for March - is it possible to still reclaim these on my next return (providing they are on the C79 certificate)?
How do you record the C79 certificate in your accounts package? Do you treat it as a seperate invoice? I use Kashflow accounting software if it helps. Do I just take whatever is on the C79 certificate and reclaim this on my return?
Before I was VAT registered I would just record my import duties and VAT into the accounts as an expense (as I receive an invoice from my courier). I assume now I should only be recording the Import Duty & Brokerage fees because the VAT will be a seperate entity which is reclaimed on the return?
I hope my questions make sense and would greatly appreciate any advice.
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 135 3
- LLP as member of LLP 97 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,741 48
- B2B vat in the EU 141 3
- Coding Notice 165 4
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 140 3
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 452 7
- Vat 283 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,281 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 347 7
- Recharge for private use of a company car 197 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 164 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,494 18
- CT/CIS offset 148 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 195 4
- Trade name 196 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 144 1
- New business - journal entries 323 20
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 319 18
- VAT on deposits 213 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 821
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 711
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 394
- Social investment tax relief 210
- Digita Hosted Software 205
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 163
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 149
- accounting for this transaction 146