Reclaiming Import VAT / C79 Certificates
I wonder if anyone could be so kind to help me. I am currently waiting on a C79 certificate from H M Revenue & Customs. I have been VAT registered since March 1st, 2011 however I never did receive a C79 certificate as I had to re-register for EORI and was not aware of this until I realised I hadn't been receiving the certificates. My courier, UPS, have now re-allocated all imports from March 1st to my correct VAT number and have advised that this will prompt a C79 and I will also start getting C79's monthly - at least I hope.
As I registered in March, I have aleady completed my first VAT return for the first period (which covered March 1st - March 31st) and now my 2nd return is due by August to cover April to June.
When I receive the C79 certificate some of the entries on there should hopefully relate to the imports I never claimed for for March - is it possible to still reclaim these on my next return (providing they are on the C79 certificate)?
How do you record the C79 certificate in your accounts package? Do you treat it as a seperate invoice? I use Kashflow accounting software if it helps. Do I just take whatever is on the C79 certificate and reclaim this on my return?
Before I was VAT registered I would just record my import duties and VAT into the accounts as an expense (as I receive an invoice from my courier). I assume now I should only be recording the Import Duty & Brokerage fees because the VAT will be a seperate entity which is reclaimed on the return?
I hope my questions make sense and would greatly appreciate any advice.
- Glass-half-full member of the year? 268 11
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,236 64
- Help needed.... 69 2
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 39 1
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 394 7
- Freight Forwarders - VAT 111 4
- Non sequitur 356 4
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 47 1
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 330 6
- HMRC website error 171 1
- Fixed asset registers 162 7
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 667 1
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 172 3
- Entrepeneurs Relief 94 1
- Opening balance and suspense account on sage line 50 36 1
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 301 10
- What is wrong with HMRC? 346 3
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 269 8
- Boffin of the Year 473 15
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 225 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,325
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 344
- Alphabet shares 226
- Agent fees to sell business 221
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 214
- Office recharges 175
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 159
- Charge out rates in London 151
- which entity 144