Reclaiming Import VAT / C79 Certificates
I wonder if anyone could be so kind to help me. I am currently waiting on a C79 certificate from H M Revenue & Customs. I have been VAT registered since March 1st, 2011 however I never did receive a C79 certificate as I had to re-register for EORI and was not aware of this until I realised I hadn't been receiving the certificates. My courier, UPS, have now re-allocated all imports from March 1st to my correct VAT number and have advised that this will prompt a C79 and I will also start getting C79's monthly - at least I hope.
As I registered in March, I have aleady completed my first VAT return for the first period (which covered March 1st - March 31st) and now my 2nd return is due by August to cover April to June.
When I receive the C79 certificate some of the entries on there should hopefully relate to the imports I never claimed for for March - is it possible to still reclaim these on my next return (providing they are on the C79 certificate)?
How do you record the C79 certificate in your accounts package? Do you treat it as a seperate invoice? I use Kashflow accounting software if it helps. Do I just take whatever is on the C79 certificate and reclaim this on my return?
Before I was VAT registered I would just record my import duties and VAT into the accounts as an expense (as I receive an invoice from my courier). I assume now I should only be recording the Import Duty & Brokerage fees because the VAT will be a seperate entity which is reclaimed on the return?
I hope my questions make sense and would greatly appreciate any advice.
- CisVerification as an agent 167 2
- Deduction for Flat Rate Scheme VAT 252 2
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 349 6
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 318 6
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 304 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 393 9
- Transmission of ISA 250 3
- Is the CT61 return dead? 407 5
- backpack 397 4
- CIS 356 9
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 693 16
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,325 18
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,186 14
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 488 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 186 2
- Really?! 918 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,418 26
- VAT 701/49 query 249 2
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 225 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 223 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 711
- 2015 tax year end 444
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 422
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 361
- Costly Accounting Software contract 323
- Directors' advances and credits 264
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 226
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 204