I may be called upon to give a reference for a temporary worker who has been reporting to me for about 5 months.
This person has been difficult from day one. They started off by saying that they suffer from some illness which affects their ability to get up each morning and consequently arrives about 15 minutes late each day. Their first task is then to go to the canteen and return with a bacon sandwich and coffee which is consumed at their desk prior to doing any work.
They take over an hour for lunch when the official time is 30 minutes and frequently return from lunch with their lunch which they eat at their desk.
Every request is questioned and they will do the work their way or the stress will trigger a migraine and tears.
I am on a temporary contract myself and this nightmare is off in a few days to inflict their approach on some other poor souls.
So, how honest can a reference be in these pc days? I may not be called to give one but I want to know what can be said and what can't.
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 237 8
- Where has Portia gone? 916 40
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,084 19
- What do your junior staff do? 87 2
- Practice management software 909 16
- Spousal transfer and PPR 453 14
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 1,711 32
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,574 72
- Rogue Accountant 2,883 46
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,312 19
- HMRC Scam 293 2
- Departments in Sage 50 105 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 272 2
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 323 4
- Capital Gains? 267 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 109 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 81 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 465 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 138 2
- AIA - new period 223 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 775
- RTI - duplicate employee record 515
- Pensions Regulator 441
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 396
- Sage Vat return box 2 298
- Sanzar 297
- Digital marketing focus group 279
- How do you do it 266
- Report old income 230
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 229