I may be called upon to give a reference for a temporary worker who has been reporting to me for about 5 months.
This person has been difficult from day one. They started off by saying that they suffer from some illness which affects their ability to get up each morning and consequently arrives about 15 minutes late each day. Their first task is then to go to the canteen and return with a bacon sandwich and coffee which is consumed at their desk prior to doing any work.
They take over an hour for lunch when the official time is 30 minutes and frequently return from lunch with their lunch which they eat at their desk.
Every request is questioned and they will do the work their way or the stress will trigger a migraine and tears.
I am on a temporary contract myself and this nightmare is off in a few days to inflict their approach on some other poor souls.
So, how honest can a reference be in these pc days? I may not be called to give one but I want to know what can be said and what can't.
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 298 5
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,104 56
- Cash injection by shareholder 114 3
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 268 8
- PRR 245 12
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 210 4
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 163 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,478 424
- corp tax software 348 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 441 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 466 7
- Which tax box 186 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 123 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 242 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 211 6
- References for clients 208 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 151 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 128 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 318 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 150 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,297
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 462
- National Insurance 360
- Non Resident 279
- Franchise income and costs 256
- Hands on experience of Digita 209
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 168
- Employer's Helpline 159
- employment capital allowances 150
- CIS paid under reg 9 143