I may be called upon to give a reference for a temporary worker who has been reporting to me for about 5 months.
This person has been difficult from day one. They started off by saying that they suffer from some illness which affects their ability to get up each morning and consequently arrives about 15 minutes late each day. Their first task is then to go to the canteen and return with a bacon sandwich and coffee which is consumed at their desk prior to doing any work.
They take over an hour for lunch when the official time is 30 minutes and frequently return from lunch with their lunch which they eat at their desk.
Every request is questioned and they will do the work their way or the stress will trigger a migraine and tears.
I am on a temporary contract myself and this nightmare is off in a few days to inflict their approach on some other poor souls.
So, how honest can a reference be in these pc days? I may not be called to give one but I want to know what can be said and what can't.
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 255 11
- Gift of property & improvements 90 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 320 5
- VAT Invoice 95 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 784 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 108 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 187 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 142 7
- General tax book with planning 117 1
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 128 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 424 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 350 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 238 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 173 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 255 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 156 4
- SA302's anyone?? 530 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,639 41
- Renting for military reasons 183 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,580 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,617
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 896
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 262
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- tax on apprenticeship income 169
- P11D benefit received by widow 148