I may be called upon to give a reference for a temporary worker who has been reporting to me for about 5 months.
This person has been difficult from day one. They started off by saying that they suffer from some illness which affects their ability to get up each morning and consequently arrives about 15 minutes late each day. Their first task is then to go to the canteen and return with a bacon sandwich and coffee which is consumed at their desk prior to doing any work.
They take over an hour for lunch when the official time is 30 minutes and frequently return from lunch with their lunch which they eat at their desk.
Every request is questioned and they will do the work their way or the stress will trigger a migraine and tears.
I am on a temporary contract myself and this nightmare is off in a few days to inflict their approach on some other poor souls.
So, how honest can a reference be in these pc days? I may not be called to give one but I want to know what can be said and what can't.
- Funding Circle experience 96 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,207 13
- Excel query 41 1
- Payment on account penalties 66 3
- Tax on free shares 101 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 177 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 179 8
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 111 1
- Audit 455 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 379 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 105 3
- Buying a horse?? 389 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 180 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 743 21
- PITA ex-client 216 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 239 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 350 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 320 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,664 19
- New supplier 148 3
- CTA study material 799
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 491
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 452
- Employment related securities question 317
- AIM Stocks and IHT 304
- Expat pension contributions? 277
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 274
- Trust for Employee 253
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 219
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 157