I have a client who rents property. At the end of August 2010 his tenant moved out, so following this my client completely modernised the Bathroom and Kitchen. He then moved into the rental property in September and let his previous home.
He advises that the work he had done on the property occured whilst he was still looking to rent it (his previous residence wasn't rented until the end of September).
Therefore can he claim for these improvements as legitimate business expenses? If he moved in after the work was completed would this make a difference?
- Insovent companies 866 19
- Rounding errors on CT600 184 6
- Xerocon 2016 1,194 33
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 140 2
- New Build 173 1
- Mortgage Reference 498 6
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,292 48
- BrightPay quirks 174 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 794 20
- Website Content 124 1
- Personal Tax 618 12
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 121 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 159 1
- USA Tax Query 286 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 431 5
- last minute request 640 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 340 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 374 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,731 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 985 6